Author Topic: Nokia Sports Tracker  (Read 2616 times)

Otto

Nokia Sports Tracker
« on: 12 June, 2008, 01:20:42 pm »
Has anyone else tried the Nokia Sports Tracker application..You have to have a gps phone...but its brilliant..all the infor you need including speed time average speed altitude etc..nifty graphs and best of all you can download the info into google earth and it overlays the route ...

you can upload to the website also

Nokia Sports Tracker Beta

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Nokia Sports Tracker
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2008, 02:44:59 pm »
Oh that does look cool.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2 on: 16 June, 2008, 12:50:45 pm »
I had a quick play wit hthe phone part of the software over the weekend, and while cycling round Herne Hill, with my phone in my back pocket it belived taht I mananged to peak at 43 mph.

That being nearly 20mph faster than my cycle computer recorded, I somehow don't belive it.

The pedomiter function seems to work well however..
Just someone's butler

« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2008, 12:43:13 pm »
Colleague here is using it for running. It's impressive. I don't think there is mapping on the device itself yet but I think this is planned. I see there is also an unused field for HR data so there must be plans for compatible heart rate sensors.

« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2008, 01:09:35 pm »
I had a quick play wit hthe phone part of the software over the weekend, and while cycling round Herne Hill, with my phone in my back pocket it belived taht I mananged to peak at 43 mph.

That being nearly 20mph faster than my cycle computer recorded, I somehow don't belive it.

That happens to all GPS devices, even the high sensitivity ones. They usually go as low as 6m "accuracy".

If you look at the figures then:-

23mph = 10.28m/s.

So in one second you'll go about 10m. Now imagine in one second the GPS thinks you're 6m further back than you are, you then move 10m forward in that second, and then the GPS thinks gets it wrong by 6m the other way (i.e. further on).

So it thinks you've moved 22m in one second or 49mph.

On any long ride my Garmin eTrex claims I've done about 90kph at one point.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2008, 01:28:49 pm »
Yes, I use mine regularly (I have a Nokia 5500 and a Holox bluetooth GPS unit).  I've bodged the pointless nokia belt clip into a rather dinky stem mount for my phone so I can read it as I'm going along. 

You can export your routes as maps or to Google Earth if you want to as well - with a certain amount of messing about, I can record a club run route on Sports Tracker, convert it to a TomTom itinerary, and then follow the route with a disembodied voice telling me where to go.  Geek heaven!