Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 128184 times)

Brian Fletcher ,who died late last week ,was one of only 3 jockies who won the Grand National three times.
He was won on Red Rum twice , but was replaced by Tommy Stack when RR completed the hat-trick.
He was a very distant relative of mine, by marriage.

having given up all hope the Packers will make the Play-offs

Seems I wrote them off too early
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
In some magazine in the hairdressers I read about Forest Green Rovers planned new all-wood, eco-friendly stadium. Which won't be in Forest Green. The mock up made it look rather larger than the 5,000 capacity stated in the text.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
Watching the American Football this morning, I gave up trying to stay awake at end of the third quarter with the score a fairly dominant 28 - 3 to Atlanta...
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Watching the American Football this morning, I gave up trying to stay awake at end of the third quarter with the score a fairly dominant 28 - 3 to Atlanta...

I went to bed at the two minute warning in the first half. It was a bit of a shock when I checked the BBC sport website this morning.

(stolen off Twitter)

Best first half performance by Atlanta since Gone with the Wind.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

I went to bed at half time and put the radio on. I was awoken at around 3am by some very excitable commentary. Was quite a shock. Amazing game. The wrong team won though.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

(also stolen off Twitter)

Atlanta hasn't taken it in the shorts this bad since General Sherman taught some lessons.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Spesh, do you think you could change your avatar?  it's pretty upsetting to have to look at that everytime you post!

Peter

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
My dad is having a birthday with a 0 at the end this year, so I've pushed the boat out and got tickets to take him to Eng v SA at the Oval.

Had hoped to go on the Saturday but the Surrey online booking office doesn't have two tickets together anywhere in the ground for Saturday.

Found tickets available from Viagogo. Cheapest ones were £120 but that's not too much of a markup on the face value so pop them in the basket and click checkout...

Whoa! That's £120 EACH?!?!??!! And that's before all the extra 'booking fees' and postage charges? Fuck that for a game of soldiers.

Ended up going back to the Surrey website and getting tickets for the Thursday (day 1) - much better tickets, in fact, for about half the price.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/02/27/crystal-palace-fans-accidentally-vandalise-team-bus/

Paul Nuttalls of the UKIPs thinks that instead of travelling to Middlesbrough to vandalise their team bus, they should stay at home and vandalise their own.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Bristol Rovers have drawn their last 5 games.

RIP John "Jack" Hampshire-the first English batsman to score a century on his Test debut at Lords.
A player in the great Yorkshire side that won the County Championship for 3 years on the trot in the late 60's, he scored 21,979 runs in games for the county.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I remember that innings. He looked very good and it was a great disappointment that that innings constituted more than 25% of his career test total.

Cudzoziemiec

I thought it was amusing the way Laura Muir dodged the official to do her lap of honour in Belgrade the other day. And bizarre that it was reported as a thing on Polish news but I haven't seen it here.  ???

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
I thought it was amusing the way Laura Muir dodged the official to do her lap of honour in Belgrade the other day. And bizarre that it was reported as a thing on Polish news but I haven't seen it here.  ???
Was this an Olympic race?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

34th European Athletics Indoor Championships, apparently, though it looked outside to me. Maybe they had a roof over the arena though.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
It's very unusual for British news to cover anything below World Championships in Athletics. Even rarer for indoor stuff.

(Unless there's a doping allegation  ::-)  )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
It was covered on BBC news and then later on more coverage of the championshps
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
It was covered on BBC news and then later on more coverage of the championshps
Any comment on this Cudzo?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Cudzoziemiec

Good!  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
We don't have a thread for "Weird and macabre sports things that don't really warrant a thread of their own" so this will have to go here.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/10/bruno-goalkeeper-murder-brazil-comeback

I have read some weird, disturbing shit in my time on this planet, but that one is way up their with the weirdest and most disturbing.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Why do commentators always refer to some sports person's leg or wrist or whatever as being "heavily strapped"?  It never looks more than just strapping to me.  Seems impossible for anyone to say strapping or strapped without the word heavy or heavily.
Owen Farrell today.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

The Masters starts today  :thumbsup:

I put me a couple of quid on Rory, I reckon he can complete the slam...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Why do commentators always refer to some sports person's leg or wrist or whatever as being "heavily strapped"?  It never looks more than just strapping to me.  Seems impossible for anyone to say strapping or strapped without the word heavy or heavily.
Owen Farrell today.

Yes, it's like weather forecasts: you never get spots without spits or mist without mirk (or forecast without wrong).