Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 126550 times)

The Masters starts today  :thumbsup:

I put me a couple of quid on Rory, I reckon he can complete the slam...

I'm so, so happy that Sergio has finally won a major. Top lad :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
My son in law has few faults, but one of those he does have is to be a Chelsea supporter. However, I am prepared to go some way towards forgiving him this as it led to me watching a good deal of today's FA Cup semifinal, which I would have otherwise ignored. An excellent game including two outstanding goals, Tottenham's second being the best I have seen for a long time.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
112 years in the Football League and it's farewell to Leyton Orient, thanks entirely to their dicknozzle owner.  My grate frend Mr Sheen, an Os fan since forever, is about to commit murder.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
112 years in the Football League and it's farewell to Leyton Orient, thanks entirely to their dicknozzle owner.  My grate frend Mr Sheen, an Os fan since forever, is about to commit murder.

Leyton Orient: a club in decline. All you need to know in 4 minutes 50 seconds.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!

Looks like Hartle poo Untied will be joining them.  Desperately sad for my FiL, lifetime.....blah blah blah

Won't be their first time though.  One of Hartlepool's "Honours" is - Most re-elections to the old fourth division.

For younger viewers, in the olden days, the bottom club in the 4th was relegated (one only, in those days), but there was no automatic promotion into the league.  Instead, a vote was held by the football league chairmen on who should be promoted.  Very often, this would be the same club that had supposedly been 'relegated'.1
Old boys networks and brown envelopes stuffed with promises, no doubt.

1 I believe this is how it worked in general.  I haven't actually checked it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
It was known as "seeking re-election" and mostly IIRC it was Newport County.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
You sure?  Hardly Poo peeps seem to think that they hold the record.
Again, I can't​ be arsed to check the validity of this claim.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
No, I am not at all sure. But they always seemed to be Down There, alongside Bradford Park Avenue.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re-election_(Football_League)#Fourth_Division

Much more interesting geekiness than knowing FA Cup winners.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
The house across the road from me appears to be on fire! It also has a Fire Engine outside.

Moved to appropriate thread
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
The house across the road from me appears to be on fire! It also has a Fire Engine outside.

Is fire raising classed as a sport in Cumbria?  :P

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Well it was one of the 'random thread for' threads family. Pretty close for someone who's too lazy to read the thread titles ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
One of my schoolfriends was a Hartelpool fan (no idea why) and he told me the same fact[?] about re-election. That was waaaaaaaaaay back in the 1980s so it must be some sort of ur ban leg end by now.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.

Is fire raising classed as a sport in Cumbria?  :P

Someone mentioned Arson and he thought they were referring to the Arsenal manager perhaps.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
For younger viewers, in the olden days, the bottom club in the 4th was relegated (one only, in those days), but there was no automatic promotion into the league.  Instead, a vote was held by the football league chairmen on who should be promoted.  Very often, this would be the same club that had supposedly been 'relegated'.1
Old boys networks and brown envelopes stuffed with promises, no doubt.

1 I believe this is how it worked in general.  I haven't actually checked it.

I have mixed feelings about the election system. I grew up supporting Maidstone United and was gutted when they failed to get elected to the league after winning the Conference in 1984. It seemed most unjust to the 11yo me!

After that, a new owner came in and spent a few quid on players, as well as promising to build a swanky new ground. Unfortunately, he never got planning permission for it, but this didn't stop him selling off the old ground to developers.

By the time they won the title again in 1989, the system had changed to automatic promotion, so they were guaranteed a place in the Fourth Division. And they managed to stay there for three years. However, this was only achieved with reckless spending by the owner. Add to that the fact that they were playing their home games at Dartford and it's amazing the club survived as long as it did - folded in 1992.

Looking back on it, I feel the election system might have kept the club where it belonged, in the Conference, and maybe prevented the owner from overreaching himself.

There's no doubt the system was hugely corrupt though!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
This is the issue currently facing Saarfend, and has done so for 20 years or more. Rapacious owner with very dodgy background wants to build a supermarket on the existing ground's site and build a 26000 seat stadium out of town. The ground's current site is within easy walking distance of lots of housing whereas the proposed site is quite a distance from any housing. Besides, it must be quite a few years since Southend attracted a crowd in excess of 10000. I feel sure that any new stadium, unless built on the existing site, would be the death of the club.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
This is the issue currently facing Saarfend, and has done so for 20 years or more. Rapacious owner with very dodgy background wants to build a supermarket on the existing ground's site and build a 26000 seat stadium out of town. The ground's current site is within easy walking distance of lots of housing whereas the proposed site is quite a distance from any housing. Besides, it must be quite a few years since Southend attracted a crowd in excess of 10000. I feel sure that any new stadium, unless built on the existing site, would be the death of the club.

Brighton & Hove FC did OK after moving out of the city to the outskirts. 
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph

I just looked at a map. Brighton's new ground is very close to a station and a major dual carriageway. Southend's existing ground has those advantages but the proposed site does not.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
It's a similar story with Bristol Rovers, who wanted to sell their present ground, which was built as a memorial to rugby players killed in the First World War, to Sainsburys and build a newer bigger slicker one further out of town, though still in north Bristol. When Big S failed to get planning permission for their vendodrome they were able to cancel the deal, leaving the Pirates all at sea, or at least stuck in the same old stadium with the same empty pockets.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike

Up to a point, Lord Copper. They very nearly went under in similar circumstances to Maidstone in the late 90s, and it was only a rich fan (Dick Knight) stepping in to buy the club that saved them from liquidation.

The old board had sold off the Goldstone before Knight took over, to service the massive debts they had racked up - though I doubt it would have been fit to continue playing football there much longer anyway. I remember it already being in a pretty appalling state when I went to see the FA Cup match there between Brighton and Liverpool in 1983(?). They didn't get the new stadium until 2011. Before that, they'd played a couple of seasons at Gillingham's ground, and then moved to the Withdean, which was a converted athletics stadium and barely fit to host professional football matches. It's incredible that they managed to avoid going under, and largely down to two reasons: Bobby Zamora and Peter Taylor.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/05/01/seductive-dress-forces-girl-to-quit-malaysia-chess-tournament-coach-says.html

(now, obviously I had a small titter about this at first glance, but it's actually quite a sad story - she's only 12  :-\ )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

That's a really sad story and I suspect there is either a terribly misogynistic or religious background to this.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
I can't speak for Malaysian chess, but the misogyny in British chess was one of the principle reasons my daughters don't play any more.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Marathon in two hours, I can't cycle that fast!
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit