Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 126463 times)

Turns out they can't run that fast, either!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I see that Exeter beat Wasps to win a rugby final and that Tomos Francis was a key player in Exeter's victory. He a relative of yours, isn't he, pcolbeck?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Come ON Town!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Come ON Town!

Wot?
Oh, I see.
Reading is the only football team that I negatively support.  I never want them to get into the higher divisions because my aged mum lives there and would prefer less crowds on a Saturday.
Although, to be fair, as she is now 93, she doesn't do the hanging about in town on a Saturday so much these days.  So it probably doesn't matter so much now.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Help me!
There you go.   :thumbsup:
Glad I could help.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Thanks Basil. Another Happy Terrier here too :D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
They stole our kit.
It is simpler than it looks.

I notice Thomas Pieters is moving up the leaderboard quite nicely at The Open. I rather hope he continues, as if he wins I will win a grand from the small bet I put on him about 9 months ago. Come on Tom!  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Fuck, he's going to have to play better than Kim Jong Il now...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
I'm dot watching the Clipper Round The World race, on account of my cousin being on board on of the boats. Unfortunately they seem to be in the nautical equivalent of the Lanterne Rouge position.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Which presumably is lanterne blanche.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I don't watch football very often these days but I went to the pub with my son this afternoon to watch Liverpool vs Arsenal, and what I want to know is this...

When did Arsenal become so awful? That was a truly abject display.

Liverpool were on top form, and thrilling to watch, but Arsenal essentially just rolled over and let Liverpool tear into them. To be honest, the 4-0 scoreline was flattering to Arsenal. It should have been 10-0.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I don't watch football very often these days but I went to the pub with my son this afternoon to watch Liverpool vs Arsenal, and what I want to know is this...

When did Arsenal become so awful?

1980, when Liam Brady went to Juventus :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
When did Arsenal become so awful?

When they let Patrick Viera go and never replaced him.

Viera was immense in midfield, a proper captain.  They've been on a fairly steady decline ever since.

The club's finances are in great shape, and that seems to be a worthwhile objective, but saving millions on players whilst missing out on the millions from the Champions League isn't such great economics.

Wenger was visibly shaking yesterday.  I think it's taking its toll on him and he should have left on the FA Cup high last year. 
He faces the possibility of his amazing legacy being overshadowed by jeers and taunts from the fans.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Basil

• Help me!
Controversy in Pembrokeshire Division One Cricket League.

It just so happened that the teams in first and second place in the league table played each other on the last day of the season.
It's important to know that in this division there are 20 points for the win, a bowling point for every two wickets taken and a batting point for every 40 runs (to a max of 5)

Carew began the day 21 points ahead of local rivals Cresselly.

Carew went into bat first but then declared on 18 for 1 after 15 balls, thus throwing the match but denying Cresselly any chance of bonus points.

Carew win the league by one point.  Cresselly not happy. Much discussion in my local.

What do you think?  A sensible and logical tactic?  Or JUST NOT CRICKET?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
hee-hee! I love stuff like this.

I'd say it's a badly thought-out rule. Cricket isn't about "bonus points", so it can't be "NOT CRICKET" to deny your opponents the chance of them. Shirley??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
Controversy in Pembrokeshire Division One Cricket League.

It just so happened that the teams in first and second place in the league table played each other on the last day of the season.
It's important to know that in this division there are 20 points for the win, a bowling point for every two wickets taken and a batting point for every 40 runs (to a max of 5)

Carew began the day 21 points ahead of local rivals Cresselly.

Carew went into bat first but then declared on 18 for 1 after 15 balls, thus throwing the match but denying Cresselly any chance of bonus points.

Carew win the league by one point.  Cresselly not happy. Much discussion in my local.

What do you think?  A sensible and logical tactic?  Or JUST NOT CRICKET?

It's not cricket. They didn't play any!

Avid readers may recall that Ian Botham did something similar in a Bensons & Hedges 1-day match once. It was in the qualifying group, and from memory he declared the Somerset innings closed. I can't remember who the opponents were, but it meant that the only way they could beat Somerset in the group's final table was by getting a faster overall run rate than theirs, and just scoring 4 runs (or whatever) to win was not going to do this.

I don't remember whether he was reprimanded by the TCCB, but he bloody well should have been. Lots of people had travelled a long way and paid a lot of money to watch that match.

Edit: I've half-remembered again. Brian Rose was the captain in that match, and Somerset were expelled from the competition. It was 1979 and Essex won the B & H cup that year. Wiki doesn't reveal who Somerset's opponents were in the match in question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Rose_(cricketer)

Ah! Worcestershire! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Benson_%26_Hedges_Cup

Basil

• Help me!
I have less sympathy for Cresselly now as I've since learned that they won the toss.  Surely they must have been aware of the mathematics before the match. 
If they had chosen to bat, they would have had a chance to win and win the league by picking up two more bonus points than their opponents.
Poor decision.

Of course,  they may have lost the match.  But so what?

citoyen

You could argue that Carew had earned the right to game the system by virtue of being 21 points ahead going into the match. Presumably both sides knew the rules at the start of the season and their relative positions were a reflection of their performance throughout the season.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Some of the rules of cricket are ridiculous and the rules of that competition are crazy. They make away goals rules and penalty shootouts look entirely simple.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

Some of the rules of cricket are ridiculous

Outrageous statement!  :o

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
You could argue that Carew had earned the right to game the system by virtue of being 21 points ahead going into the match. Presumably both sides knew the rules at the start of the season and their relative positions were a reflection of their performance throughout the season.

I have stopped bing amazed at sports professionals not knowing the rules of the game they play for a living.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I passed a Cook Underwood Road this afternoon.  I wonder whether by any chance it was named after a pair of English cricketers?

["No" - Ed.]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

I thin it happens fairly often that a team in the football play-offs finishes sixth, a cricket score of points behind the team in third, then goes on to win the play-offs and gain promotion.  It could be argued one way that they have been much worse over the season and so shouldn't be promoted and the other that they are the form team at the time and should be promoted.  I don't like the system but it's really about maximising income, I think.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph