Author Topic: Cramp  (Read 2560 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Cramp
« Reply #25 on: 07 June, 2014, 10:45:18 am »
On last week's 600k we took banana/chocolate-chip sandwiches and ditto salami/cheese with us.  I also had a bidon of Isostar/Overstimm's drink powder and one of plain water.  In the HB bag I had the usual bars, plus mini-salami and a bag of crystallized ginger.  En route we stopped once for crèpes and once more for steak & chips, otherwise it was sandwiches at roadside halts and for breakfast.

I emptied two sugary bidons over the course, the sandwiches we finished at the last control. I drank probably 6-8 litres of plain water. Of the mini salami enough remained to give the dogs a couple of bits each when I got home, and there's still some ginger and most of the patent bars.

I had one slight suggestion of cramp halfway through the hilliest part of the route, and managed to banish it with copious plain water and a slug or two of sugary.

The moral, I think, is don't rely on one thing only: eat a variety of foods, ordinary meals if they're available and there's time, and never stop drinking.

And bananas are bloody marvellous.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Re: Cramp
« Reply #26 on: 09 June, 2014, 10:14:17 pm »
Due to the propaganda here I am now the proud owner of TWO bags of Crystalised Ginger and will  be supplementing this with dense salami sausages of indeterminate European provenance, probably requiring cutting thereof by chainsaw. ( ps I have also tried the tonic water recently with some success.) (Dear local reader please also note that whilst Tesco wish to charge the best part of three quid for a bag of said ginger, Aldi do a larger portion the same size portion for 99p.)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain