Author Topic: Istanbul  (Read 4187 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Istanbul
« on: 06 June, 2013, 11:20:16 am »
These chaps were quite happy to pose for me on the second day of protests.

Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Re: Istanbul
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2013, 11:31:17 am »
They look like a vicious bunch of desperado's, armed to the teeth.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2013, 03:21:13 pm »
Well prepared rather. Where do they get all those gas masks (or whatever the term is) from? They don't look the kind of thing you get from B&Q.

P.S. Where are their pipes?  ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 06 June, 2013, 04:37:47 pm »
Been there done that. The Turks I worked with for about three years   were great people to know :thumbsup:.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Riggers

« Reply #4 on: 06 June, 2013, 04:55:56 pm »
My first visit to Istanbul. Loved it. Would like to go back, but traveling takes two days out of any break, so needs considering.

Disappointingly, I've heard that the President intends to press ahead with bulldozing Gezi Park to make way for a shopping plaza, theatre and of course … planting some trees. Mmmmm, what Istanbul needs are more shops.

« Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2013, 05:49:53 pm »
A few business visits to Istanbul but can only remember the Souks these days with loads of brass ware for sale and as I said earlier, lovely people.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Riggers

« Reply #6 on: 10 June, 2013, 10:44:29 am »
Some houses (and one derelict wooden monastery which is over 200-years-old, and the second largest wooden structure … in the world) from Buyukada (Turkish for "Big Island") which is last in a chain of 5 islands.

And that's not all! Oh no. You can be the proud owner of one for £0.5million!

http://www.viviun.com/AD-169164/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 10 June, 2013, 10:53:06 am »
Well prepared rather. Where do they get all those gas masks (or whatever the term is) from? They don't look the kind of thing you get from B&Q.

P.S. Where are their pipes?  ;)
Or perhaps you can get them from DIY stores. I saw a graffitist wearing something v similar yesterday.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Riggers

« Reply #8 on: 10 June, 2013, 10:57:16 am »
There were a lot of proper gas masks being sold by vendors on the streets, just so you know.

« Reply #9 on: 10 June, 2013, 11:03:42 am »
I went to Buyukada in 1981.  It was the first place I saw a female Turk wearing cycle shorts. :thumbsup: Nice day trip from Istanbul. Did you rent a bike?

BTW, it's not uncommon for the largest of a group of islands to be called "Big Island" or the like. 
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Riggers

« Reply #10 on: 10 June, 2013, 11:56:08 am »
Crikey! 1981. That's a long long time ago.

Having got off the ferry and seen the queue for the horse & carriages, we decided to hire bikes. We'd met up with a Canadian mum and daughter and spent the rest of the day with them. Anyhoo, having cycled up the hill past splendid houses, comfortable heat under overhanging trees and dappled sunlight, we got chatting to some Australians who mentioned we'd missed Trosky's holiday home. Back up a hill we went and locked the bikes wandering down a steep hill to gawk at the decrepit hovel that remains of Trosky's place.

Back at the bikes, the cylinders of both locks brake. Brilliant. Stranded. So we begin to traipse back to town and flag down a horse & carriage. After a 'bit' of a discussion, we finally got the hire shop to realise what had happened, where the bikes were, and no, they weren't going to get paid.

We grabbed some food to make a makeshift picnic and went further round, away from the crowds. Thereafter, my wife and the other two girls went swimming with some Syrian refugee children, and got chatting to an islander called Serin, who worked at the airport, and even though it was his day off, was more than happy to walk with us round the island showing us 'stuff' and answering our constant questions about all things to do with island life and Turkey. Brilliant day.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #11 on: 10 June, 2013, 12:20:11 pm »
We went to Heybelliada (sp?) another one of the Princes islands.  We just walked around it- it was lovely.  Made a nice change from the hustle and bustle of the city. 
Great place and a great people though - would go back to Istanbul.  Walking along the old city walls of Constantinople was awesome-  showed what a megalopolis the place was in Mediaeval times - and Hagia Sofia is one of the wonders of the world.
I'm rather glad things weren't kicking off when we were there though - although I suspect things would have remaine sleepy in the Sultanhamet district where we stayed.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.