Author Topic: Where to start with buying walking boots?  (Read 10699 times)

ian

Re: Where to start with buying walking boots?
« Reply #25 on: 10 January, 2017, 08:30:30 pm »
I buy the lightweight goretex lined boots. I didn't get on with the leather ones, they take an age to break in and after a while you wonder whether it's your foot moulding to fit the boot rather than vice versa. I've been through a few brands of lightweight boot and other than the occasional blister, they've been fine. I have a paid of Meindls at the moment which I quite like. All just shy of £100 (there's usually an offer on if you shop around for last season's boot, it's not like they're fashion accessories). I can easily walk 25+ miles in them. Yes, the Goretex will go after a few seasons but occasionally damp feet mostly don't bother me on a day walk (if it's that kind of soggy day, the rest of me is likely to be wetter). Of course, if you planning walk day on day then you might not appreciate pulling on soggy boots the following morning. Once they start to leak proper I replace them.

But as others have said, try them. My wife hated the Meindls. And don't neglect the socks, on the few occasions I get a blister, it's movement between sock and foot that does the deed rather than boot.

« Reply #26 on: 10 January, 2017, 10:33:54 pm »
Brasher, now Berghaus Hillmaster or Fellmaster.  Don't know how good Brasher are now that Berghaus have bought them...

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

« Reply #27 on: 11 January, 2017, 02:34:16 am »
My wife's got a pair of Zamberlan goretex-lined leather boots which she's happy with - they have (or had about three years ago) a lightweight variant that bumped the price by about £40 but was immediately much more comfortable.

I've got feet that seem to fit Scarpa lasts fairly well.

« Reply #28 on: 11 January, 2017, 07:13:36 am »
Well, as often as not, when I go backpacking for 3 or 4 days, with a 25-30 pound pack, for the last 5 years or so I've been wearing low-topped shoes that are essentially a beefed-up version of running shoes.  This happens (usually) on decent trails, so not a lot of rock to clamber over, but not having to pick up the extra pound or two per foot, each time I want to move forward, that my wonderful (and rather light weight at that) goretex Montrail above-the-ankle boots weigh - makes me less tired at the end of the day.  No ankles twisted yet.

If these are truly going to be a forever pair of boots, be sure that they are readily resolable.  Many of the newer boots are not.

I eventually scuff up the toes of every pair of shoes I own (except, surprisingly, cycling shoes), so the rubber trim previously mentioned is a very good thing in boots.

If your feet are at all odd sized (narrow, for instance), you may find that normal-width boots are the norm these days.  In that case, a good removable footbed will help with support and fill up a bit of the surplus volume inside.  Plus, you can slip them out to air out overnight.

I appreciate boots with the open "speed lace" hooks near the top.  Makes it easier to take off and on.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #29 on: 11 January, 2017, 08:19:13 am »
I have two pairs of Meindels. The first pair is very comfortable Goretex and the waterproofing is non-existent. The second pair is very comfortable Meindel leather. These happily deal with boggy stuff, these are used in Scotland, the former are used in England.

We've just bought a new mattress, and the advice given was a bit like boab's trainers. Aim to find a mattress that is comfortable. If it is cheap you may have to replace it more often than if it is expensive.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #30 on: 11 January, 2017, 09:34:24 am »
Or get some decent quality wellies.

Started using these for building work over 10 years ago and found them remarkably comfortable and surprisingly good for walking.  When we had severe snow they gave excellent grip and were completely waterproof.   Mind you, wearing them almost 7/7 they wear out and I replace them every few months.  Zero rated for VAT, too.

Stylish they ain't, of course.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #31 on: 11 January, 2017, 09:40:40 am »
Back when I was a m/c courier, based in Bath, we all used to pop down to a place in Radstock that sold Dickies stuff. Mostly the fugly-brite dayglo reflective but warm and waterproof jackets. This has no relevance to walking boots though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #32 on: 11 January, 2017, 03:51:22 pm »
Scarpa, lightweight, Gore-Tex lined - both times.

The first pair were bought when I was an air-cadet and we were in the Welsh mountains one weekend a month. I left the cadets in the late 90's and have done a lot of walking and other outdoor activities ever since.

They are still in reasonable nick, sole has hardly worn at all. However, as mentioned above the Gore-Tex lining eventually slipped and creased which caused blisters so they are now for gardening purposes only but c. 20 years for the lining to slip I'll accept from a £120 pair of boots.

The second pair were only bought in October and were brilliant straight out of the box, no breaking in or anything, comfy lightweight and I expect at least ten years out of them, hopefully as much as the last pair.

Of course if you don't have Scarpa shaped feet then they are no good but that's my suggestion
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #33 on: 11 January, 2017, 04:01:59 pm »
I bought a pair of Scarpa walking boots in 1992. Seem to recall they were half-price at £80. Did 25miles in them the day after I bought them.

I still have them. Still going strong. I avoid walking on roads in them (wears away the soles).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #34 on: 11 January, 2017, 04:16:16 pm »
I'm on my second pair of Scarpa's in the last 15 years, I wear them constantly, in fact the only other shoes I have are dress shoes or have cleats.

« Reply #35 on: 11 January, 2017, 06:53:40 pm »
I mourn the loss of my Meindls. They were superb. (I gave mine, on request, to one of the local workforce when we'd finished working on a site in Azerbaijan - they has shit boots) That was ~ 2004.
I'm on my second pair of Gore-Tex Scarpa since then, and would possibly go for a third.
However, my approach would be to go into (whichever walking boot retailer) and ask the first available member of staff something along the lines of 'Who's the most experienced person here to talk to about boot fitting?'
Not really interested in advice from anyone chasing a commission......

« Reply #36 on: 11 January, 2017, 08:53:31 pm »
I mostly live in things like these:

I've never really considered them waterproof, although admit there's a fair chance a lot of the water ingress is via the ankle as I'd mostly just be in jeans or cycling gear. I have a more meshy pair, which in the past I've paired with waterproof socks - really the main problem with wet shoes is getting them dry again. I don't have central heating at home (or in the tent), and I've written off a few pairs of shoes due to post damp stink.

In dry weather I'd be happy to go for a scramble in what I've got, but they're not really suitable for mud or wet.

There's something to be said for not needing a lot of breaking in.
Lightweight would also be good considering my various musculoskeletal issues atm -> acknowledging the approach of buying multiple cheaper pairs, too.

I had a bit of a mooch in Go Outdoors whilst I was in for something else today. One of the main benefits of trad leather has to be the lack of PINK!

Peli: Whalley Warm and Dry looks ACE! I may yet treat myself, just because I can for once! (I want a go on the steam machine!)

« Reply #37 on: 11 January, 2017, 09:08:32 pm »
Whalley W&D is a truly fantastic shop with  very experienced boot fitters. Woolly and I love our Altbergs. I've had many leather boots since I was a kid - Zamberlan, Meindl, Scarpa, Salomon, etc, and they just don't compare to the comfort of Altbergs. Good luck!

« Reply #38 on: 11 January, 2017, 09:35:42 pm »
I have brown Berghaus boots. They are brilliant, I walk miles in them, fairly often carrying 17.5 kgs of sleeping child, as well as my never underequiped backpack. I mostly walk around city streets, but they have also been up Kinver Edge several times as well as across fields and up bridleways. I've had them around a year and although I wear them daily unless it's sandal weather - I cycle in them at the moment because they are warmer than cycling shoes - they look completely unscathed. They are waterproof and sturdy and nice and wide. We bought them over the internet to replace my previous Brashers and they have been lovely from the start.

I have a pair of The North Face Hedgehogs that are the equivalent of the Merrell shoes and they are fabulous, but I've killed them (several 1000 miles in).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #39 on: 11 January, 2017, 10:16:35 pm »
I was very happy with the pair of Hi-Tec boots I bought in 2010 for about £50.  They only started to let water in this year, and the heels were very worn down.  They'd been up the Alps as well as hundreds of miles around the village and to the shops.  I used to polish them up and wear them on dates because I was an inch taller in them, and women are so shallow  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #40 on: 11 January, 2017, 10:36:24 pm »
I grabbed a pair of army surplus Boots Cold Wet Weather seven years ago. They've only just died. Goretex, vibram, speed lacing and very solid leather - but I never had a blister and the broke in immediately. Frankly they were my perfect boots. I'm looking for some more.
Yes they're heavy, but so am I and they took me on many rough walks/shoots and kept me dry. They're not ideal for summer use as they get hot, but I guess that's covered in the description :)

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/army-issue-cold-weather-boots--5-and-6-only--product,13711

not my size :(
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #41 on: 25 January, 2017, 10:51:22 pm »
So I went to Whalley Warm and Dry...

Where I found out I have wide forefeet, narrow heels, and couple of sizes or so difference in size between one foot unladen and the other when I'm standing up.

There was much trying on of boots and parkouring around the shop with my concentrating face on.

I think I have a pair that fits, and it looks like they may even play nicely with my insoles, too!  :thumbsup:
Still only wearing them inside at the moment - the downstairs neighbours are going to lurve me!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #42 on: 25 January, 2017, 11:34:42 pm »
Sounds like normal feet for buying shoes; as opposed to normal feet for making shoes. So did you get the grey pair, the brown pair, the grey with red bits, the second brown pair, or a different pair? Maybe mix and match?
Still only wearing them inside at the moment - the downstairs neighbours are going to lurve me!
Maybe it's time to take up ballet... or clog dancing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #43 on: 25 January, 2017, 11:44:35 pm »
I have a friend whose upstairs neighbours went through a Michael Flatley phase...

« Reply #44 on: 26 January, 2017, 12:33:53 am »
I would definitely go for some lightweight ones. Wearing heavy boots makes walking so much less pleasurable.

I have a pair of Brasher Supalites. Review here https://www.simplyhike.co.uk/blog/review-of-brasher-supalite-ii-gtx-walking-boots/
I've had mine around 10 years I think and they are still as lovely as the day i bought them. Never needed breaking in. Goretex lined so your feet don't get wet. Made of leather but mysteriously so light you do a double take when you pick one up. They were not cheap but also not that expensive given the quality. I paid £130 for mine. If they wore out I would be prepared to pay twice that to replace them with the same!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #45 on: 26 January, 2017, 07:28:20 am »
Bearing in mind you can do the Lake District in trainers, get lightweight boots and forget anything remotely connected with mountaineering, crampons or climbing. A friend of mine walked all the way to Everest base camp and back in flip flops.

Your boots should be light and supple and above all comfortable from the start, otherwise you'll be hating life after the first hour.

« Reply #46 on: 26 January, 2017, 09:30:44 am »
Sounds like normal feet for buying shoes; as opposed to normal feet for making shoes. So did you get the grey pair, the brown pair, the grey with red bits, the second brown pair, or a different pair? Maybe mix and match?

The grey ones are the size 6.5 that I arrived in, and the brown pair are the size 4.5 but similarly-shaped-to-my-feet pair that I took with us when we left.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #47 on: 26 January, 2017, 09:32:53 am »
John Graham, Go Outdoors founder, has made some excellent videos on youtube, like this one..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv-sS8P0JPA

I have a pair of Leather Scarpa GTX (Goretex) in UK 10.5  for £50 incl postage if Scarpa fit your feet. 
They are too narrow for my feet, something I only found out 3 hours into a walk.  I've used them for short walks but the fact that I owned such nice boots actually put me off addressing the problem..that they rub after a few hours.  I now have a brand new pair of Meindle Bhutans.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 26 January, 2017, 03:12:21 pm »
A friend of mine walked all the way to Everest base camp and back in flip flops.

Australian?  Or Canadian, I suppose...  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #49 on: 26 January, 2017, 03:13:10 pm »
Or a student. Or a Sherpa...