Author Topic: Does anyone here have a direct contact to The Proclaimers?  (Read 3114 times)

Does anyone here have a direct contact to The Proclaimers?
« on: 18 January, 2017, 02:14:20 pm »
Strange request and unlikely to bear fruit, I know, but here goes:

The Proclaimers have a song; Cap in Hand, that has the lines:

...I can understand why Stranraer lie so lowly,
They could save a lot of points by signing Hibs goalie...

The crux of the matter is that I'm 99% sure it refers to Hibs' then keeper, Andy Goram, but another punter is equally sure it refers to Alan Rough.

The info@proclaimers.co.uk have replied but so vaguely as to be no use, so we need an answer from the horse's mouth.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: Does anyone here have a direct contact to The Proclaimers?
« Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2017, 02:22:55 pm »
You could try sending A Letter To America

(I'll get my coat)
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2017, 07:57:11 pm »
They're on Twitter.

Not something I use myself, but might be worth a try for this?

« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2017, 08:12:44 pm »
Andy Goram played for Hibs from 1987 to 1991.   Alan Rough played for Hibs between 1982 and 1988.   Goram replaced Rough.

I guess that it could have been either.   Stranraer do not exactly have a glittering history of success at football so perhaps even Queen of the South's goalie would have helped.   :D   

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2017, 08:28:48 pm »
You could walk 500 miles..

« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2017, 11:06:47 am »
Andy Goram played for Hibs from 1987 to 1991.   Alan Rough played for Hibs between 1982 and 1988.   Goram replaced Rough.

I guess that it could have been either.   Stranraer do not exactly have a glittering history of success at football so perhaps even Queen of the South's goalie would have helped.   :D   
Goram replaced a waning star in Rough. He was superb for Hibs, so worth singing about, whilst Rough was on the way out.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 19 January, 2017, 12:11:37 pm »
The Saint: Oh, Roughie, ha ha!  One time when all the action wuz up the other end he got his wee bag that goalies have and got his sandwiches oot and started eating 'em!  Tee chortle hee and other signs of Caledonian mirth!
Greavsie: Did he drop 'em?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7 on: 19 January, 2017, 11:33:16 pm »

Goram replaced a waning star in Rough. He was superb for Hibs, so worth singing about, whilst Rough was on the way out.

And then he went to Rangers, and was reported to be receiving psychiatric treatment, and the opposing fans (such wags) starting singing about him, viz:

"Two Andy Gorams, there's only two Andy Gorams."

Still the only person to have represented Scotland at both football and cricket, AIUI.

« Reply #8 on: 20 January, 2017, 08:03:45 am »
FWIW, the quote from the song on the Hibs Wikipedia page has a link from it to the Wiki page on Andy Goram.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernian_F.C.

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #9 on: 23 January, 2017, 01:30:16 am »

And then he went to Rangers, and was reported to be receiving psychiatric treatment, and the opposing fans (such wags) starting singing about him, viz:

"Two Andy Gorams, there's only two Andy Gorams."

Still the only person to have represented Scotland at both football and cricket, AIUI.

Ah, the halcyon days of Scottish Football chants. Goram, a.k.a. the flying pig. One could point out that there are only two Glasgow Rangers, but that would be churlish...
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'ĂȘtre un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

« Reply #10 on: 30 January, 2017, 08:16:16 pm »
Well, no reply from their manager, which was what I expected. It's just one of those little things that may never get settled. I know I'm right though! :)