Author Topic: Flush cable tie/wire cutters  (Read 2798 times)

Flush cable tie/wire cutters
« on: 03 February, 2017, 03:51:33 pm »
I've lost my expensive Snap-On flush cutters and as I cannot justify the cost of replacing them with the same 9and I no longer have a friendly Snap-On dealer) do any of you have any recommendations?

I need them mostly to give a clean flush cut on cable ties etc when building bikes - there's nothing worse than catching your hand/wrist on sharp sticky outy bits of badly trimmed cable ties -  but the odd bit of cable snipping will come in handy when wiring up my new dynamo lamps.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Flush cable tie/wire cutters
« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2017, 04:06:45 pm »
I use Knipex Super Knips (*peers* 78 03 125) - the sort of thing you'd use for cutting the leads off through-hole components after soldering.  While those are probably almost as expensive as your Snap-On ones, you should be able to find a cheaper, more cheesy substitute from an electronics supplier.  Cable ties are much softer (and often a lot bigger) than LED legs.

(For stripping wire I use a set of dirt cheap strippers with the locking nut undone, and replace them every few years when they get blunt.  I've been stripping wire regularly since I was a child, and unless it's especially huge or delicate I can do it accurately by feel, which is quicker than using a better quality stripper where you have to set the diameter.  It's not an approach I'd particularly recommend, thobut.)

« Reply #2 on: 03 February, 2017, 04:13:47 pm »
If it is just for cutting off cable ties, then I would have thought any cheap end cutters would cut flush.

But why cut so close to the tab? Not very secure.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 03 February, 2017, 04:26:07 pm »
But why cut so close to the tab? Not very secure.

So they don't bite your hands while fettling or, more expensively, your lycra while riding.  If it's just keeping a cable from flapping about it's no big deal if it comes undone - just replace with a spare from the murky depths of your saddlebag.

« Reply #4 on: 03 February, 2017, 04:37:42 pm »
I tend to use a scalpel on cable ties to achieve a properly flush finish.
All the cutters I have tend to leave 0.5 to 1.0 mm of catchy-scratchy sticking out.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 03 February, 2017, 04:38:13 pm »
I'm not allowed those without adult supervision...

« Reply #6 on: 03 February, 2017, 04:56:02 pm »
I use one of these on cable ties.

Perfect ends every time and adjustable for various sizes and tensions.

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7 on: 03 February, 2017, 05:26:29 pm »
there is a technique to cut the cable tie flush with the regular cutters, not sure how to explain it. basically one blade cuts the tie, another is resting on the square end of the tie, and you exert a bit more pressure on the blade that cuts the tie. easier done than said :)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 03 February, 2017, 06:58:30 pm »
Just about any cheap flush cutters should be fine for cable ties, but you might want a more durable tool if it's to be used for wires and component leads as well.  The small ones I use are unimaginatively branded "Duratool".

If it is just for cutting off cable ties, then I would have thought any cheap end cutters would cut flush.

No, they don't.  Often the blade edges of ordinary wire cutters are not right at the edge of the tool because of the way they're ground.

I always cut my cable ties flush now, except when leaving a length to get hold of for later additional tightening.  Otherwise there's nothing less secure about it, IME, and it's nice to have a finger friendly finish.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #9 on: 04 February, 2017, 08:50:07 am »
I got some wonderful snips from Aldi about 18 months ago. Every so often they have some tools as part of their 'special' deals - these are about 9" long on cut sharp and clean. Yellow handles if they come back in.

Tapatalk puts this signature here, not me!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #10 on: 04 February, 2017, 04:14:05 pm »
I've just needed to cut off off a cable tie v short (repairing broken mudguard). Used sharp knife, sliced off the sharp corners, 2s job.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #11 on: 04 February, 2017, 04:27:16 pm »
I use ordinary Draper side cutters. And if bothered a disposable lighter to melt the sharp corners.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)