Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626255 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #2250 on: 24 September, 2012, 04:42:57 pm »
The LibDem conferance with Danny alexander. The only clapping I heard, we will make it harder for people to clamp your car. #carcultureUK

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2251 on: 24 September, 2012, 07:20:26 pm »
Dear Sarah,
when I wrote "when is the last posting date for surface mail to New Zealand in time for Chritmas?"

I did not mean "Can you give me some information on the 2012 Games?"

Turing Test FAIL.

« Reply #2252 on: 24 September, 2012, 08:44:25 pm »
Oh how sneaky you are Tesco. A dozen eggs are £2.50 but a box of six is only £1.

I'd understand it if one were on promotion but they weren't.

Glad I noticed before I bought.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #2253 on: 24 September, 2012, 08:57:08 pm »
Oh how sneaky you are Tesco. A dozen eggs are £2.50 but a box of six is only £1.

THE BAS##RDS you got to watch em!!!
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

« Reply #2254 on: 24 September, 2012, 08:59:36 pm »
It's a bit underhand isn't it? I know buyer beware but I'd say it's reasonable to expect bigger packs to be better value  ::-)
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2255 on: 24 September, 2012, 09:06:17 pm »

I do find shopping online great for letting me calculate what's best value. It's far easier when sitting in a quiet room than when standing whilst being barged by others' trolleys.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2256 on: 24 September, 2012, 09:06:59 pm »
For years the 500g packs of spaghetti were considerably more expensive than 2 x 250g packs in our local Co-op.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #2257 on: 24 September, 2012, 10:15:28 pm »
There is London south of the river?  ???

Technically, no.  It's either Surrey or Kent.  Those who have ridden my TPM have seen the riverside plaque marking the border.  :smug:

As for who lives south of the river, I thought you lot were mostly prols, not plebs. ;)

No mate, we're the elite, not common city oiks...  (well it depends how far south of the river, I'm also considering the many other better and more worthy rivers than the one which londonites seem to consider is THE river.)
Wombat

« Reply #2258 on: 24 September, 2012, 10:45:44 pm »

I found something similar with rice a while ago.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2259 on: 24 September, 2012, 10:50:02 pm »
These people with sensible foods like eggs and rice. I found the same with beefy monster munch in Home Bargains yesterday :D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

ian

« Reply #2260 on: 25 September, 2012, 10:04:09 am »
There is London south of the river?  ???

Technically, no.  It's either Surrey or Kent.  Those who have ridden my TPM have seen the riverside plaque marking the border.  :smug:

As for who lives south of the river, I thought you lot were mostly prols, not plebs. ;)

I'm pretty sure Boris has extended his map so London now ends at Tooley Street, just shy of City Hall. Beyond that lies terra incognita. No one in London government knows that there is a SE London. It's the land of which they do not speak.

This is not entirely true. Boris does like Bromley and Croydon (but not the northern bit with the scruffies who snuck in from Lewisham and Southwark), though I think he imagines they are somewhere else.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2261 on: 25 September, 2012, 11:40:18 am »
So, one of my colleagues who I like is leaving on Friday. And now another colleague I like has just announced that he's leaving at the end of next month.

And thus the ratio of colleagues I like:colleagues I can't stand gets ever smaller.

Sigh.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2262 on: 26 September, 2012, 12:57:15 pm »
Went for my usual stroll this morning. 3 hours of walking in the rain round the country lanes. Had my trusty M&S Ultimate Raincoat and a brolly so wasn't too bad. The lanes were pretty much awash so one might have expected a bit of consideration from the 30 or 40 motorists who passed me in that time. Nope. A grand total of 1 actually slowed down to avoid spraying me. Admittedly in his case I didn't give him much choice. I was walking down the middle of a narrow lane in about an inch of water with a lake either side of me. Anyway he stopped while I negotiated the flood and gave me a smile and a wave when I was safely past. The others buggers didn't.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

essexian

« Reply #2263 on: 26 September, 2012, 01:55:46 pm »
Could someone please have a word with the nerve in my back which seems to have become trapped giving me extreme pain in my back and right hip. This has been going on for the last seven days and resulted in me having to cancel a trip to that London. All this stems from the amount of DIY done over the last fortnight which goes to show, you should always get a little man (or women) in to do it for you.

This may turn into a rant if I carry on finding cycling impossible.

« Reply #2264 on: 26 September, 2012, 03:23:51 pm »
Went for my usual stroll this morning. 3 hours of walking in the rain round the country lanes. Had my trusty M&S Ultimate Raincoat and a brolly so wasn't too bad. The lanes were pretty much awash so one might have expected a bit of consideration from the 30 or 40 motorists who passed me in that time. Nope. A grand total of 1 actually slowed down to avoid spraying me. Admittedly in his case I didn't give him much choice. I was walking down the middle of a narrow lane in about an inch of water with a lake either side of me. Anyway he stopped while I negotiated the flood and gave me a smile and a wave when I was safely past. The others buggers didn't.

I just saw a fireman wave angrily at a 4x4 driver to slow down as he approached the large puddle in Clifford Street, which the fireman was in the process of pumping out. Fortunately, the prat driving obeyed, or I think he'd have had a very cross fireman inserting a hose where it oughtn't to go.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2265 on: 26 September, 2012, 08:06:14 pm »
During the ten minute walk back from tonight's swimming lesson, I saw 9 cyclists. Two were properly lit front and back. One had no lights on her bike but had a headtorch on her helmet. One had a back light only, and he was on the pavement. The other four had no lights and dark clothes, but one was ensuring his safety by cycling on the pavement.

Sometimes I think the bottom half of local newspaper websites has a point.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2266 on: 26 September, 2012, 08:12:59 pm »
During the ten minute walk back from tonight's swimming lesson, I saw 9 cyclists. Two were properly lit front and back. One had no lights on her bike but had a headtorch on her helmet. One had a back light only, and he was on the pavement. The other four had no lights and dark clothes, but one was ensuring his safety by cycling on the pavement.

You really need one with a red light on the front, to complete the set.

« Reply #2267 on: 27 September, 2012, 12:16:15 pm »
One of my best ever was the shadow that drifted past me one night when I was cycling home from the pub. I was on a wide two-way cycle path alongside a main road, with 'to be seen by' lights & mudguard, front (brake bracket) & pedal reflectors. Cycling slowly along the the main road, a few feet from this cycle path, was a bloke in dark clothes on a light & reflector-free bike. I saw him as he passed me, & stopped to look over my shoulder & check that the apparition was real, thus verifying his lack of rear lights & reflectors.

On another occasion, I was a passenger in a car when the driver swore & swerved. It was about midnight, & a group of youths were dawdling on bikes in the middle of the carriageway, on a main road. No lights, dark clothes (& skin), no reflectors that I saw. Driver saw reflections from shiny bits of bike first.

A chance for evolution to take a hand, eh?

And then there's the bloke who used to cycle around Reading with the most astonishing, in yer face, blinding light set-up, with a few brilliant flashing lights back before mega-bright LEDs became common & cheap, dazzling head torch, etc. - but always on the pavement or cycle paths, when I saw him.  :facepalm:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

citoyen

« Reply #2268 on: 27 September, 2012, 05:07:27 pm »
There is such a thing as too much light...

Riding down the back lane route home last night on the Brompton, I was dazzled by an oncoming car, the driver being one of those irritants who seem to think you don't need to dip your headlights for cyclists.

Hence I didn't see the pothole in the road, which I consequently hit full force. I partially lost grip on my handlebars and it's only my superior bike handling skillz that saved me from taking a tumble into the car's path.

Fortunately, there appears to be no damage to the Brommie's front wheel.

d.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #2269 on: 27 September, 2012, 06:38:17 pm »
That's where a decent head torch is usefull.  You look directly at the oncoming driver, they get the message and dip, you look back at the road in front of you.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2270 on: 27 September, 2012, 06:58:00 pm »
One of the fundamental rules of driving in Birmingham is that if the vehicle in front of you moves, then you should move too - even if you can't see that it's safe to do so, or there isn't physically room for more than one car, or whatever.

I was impressed to note that they're learning this from a young age, as I watched a young teenager on a BMX ride across the road (from the pavement into a car park on the opposite side) through a marginal gap in busy traffic.  Wondering why the cars in front of me were taking so long to move off, I looked back up to note his mate following on a mountain bike, straight into the path of a lorry on the far side of the road.  Luckily the lorry driver was paying attention and applied copious amounts of brakes.  MTB kid proceeded to the car park entrance, where he stopped to show his appreciation in the form of an unintelligible shout and the universal sign for 'wanker'.   ???

As I passed, I felt compelled to point out that that was a bit stupid.  They looked at me, obviously confused, for a fraction of a second, looked at each other, and then reacted in the second most common way for teenage boys on seeing a recumbent bicycle.

*sigh*

Still, at least the four-wheelers were making an effort:  I had one pull out nice and wide to overtake, until an unanticipated blind bend appeared out of nowhere, and they were forced to side-swipe me in case of oncoming traffic.  Being used to this sort of thing, I was in an assertive primary, and had plenty of space to dodge into.   :facepalm:

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #2271 on: 27 September, 2012, 07:27:26 pm »
Bugger me! (Actually, don't)
It's dark already.  Who ordered dark?

citoyen

« Reply #2272 on: 27 September, 2012, 10:08:55 pm »
That's where a decent head torch is usefull.  You look directly at the oncoming driver, they get the message and dip, you look back at the road in front of you.

Funnily enough, the same thought occurred to me on the final part of my ride home last night. I have used this tactic in the past and I can see I shall have to start doing it again.

d.

citoyen

« Reply #2273 on: 28 September, 2012, 07:57:24 am »
Oh mother, I love you dearly and I'm very sympathetic following your nasty fall yesterday that resulted in a fractured cheekbone, plus other superficial cuts and bruises. Looks painful.

However…

WTF have your injuries sustained while walking got to do with whether or not I wear a h*lmet when cycling?

:facepalm:

(I bit my tongue, of course. Heavy sigh.)

d.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2274 on: 28 September, 2012, 09:11:43 am »
Can anyone guess where I've packed my gloves and overshoes? Anyone?  No?

Neither can I.  :facepalm:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: