Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626059 times)

IanN

• Voon
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #5425 on: 05 November, 2014, 07:18:59 pm »
Is this a good place to say how much I hate bl**dy fireworks?   Surround sound explosions as i sit here. It's like flippin' ... (insert your warzone simile of choice)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5426 on: 05 November, 2014, 07:36:34 pm »
Is this a good place to say how much I hate bl**dy fireworks?   Surround sound explosions as i sit here. It's like flippin' ... (insert your warzone simile of choice)

I HATE FIREWORKS TOO!

My David has been complaining about them since he was a young man IMO.

Here in Bangers-R-Us Brent, we 'enjoy' Eid, Diwali and Guido Fawkes in a continuous succession of nocturnal detonations.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5427 on: 05 November, 2014, 07:43:50 pm »
Miaow! says the Mollycat, it is dinner time.  Today she is coiling round my legs while I prepare same.  Put cat fud in usual place.  Turning up of small triangular nose.  Miaow! says the Mollycat again.

No.  Fuck off.  Your dinner is there.  Eat it or starve.  Your choice.

Also, self: do not watch crap 11-9 conspiracy documentaries.  You know full well they just make you angry.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5428 on: 05 November, 2014, 09:06:44 pm »

Remind me again why I volunteered for this gig?

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5429 on: 05 November, 2014, 09:14:47 pm »
Is it because you are Terribly Nice?

« Reply #5430 on: 05 November, 2014, 11:49:29 pm »

I HATE FIREWORKS TOO!

My David has been complaining about them since he was a young man IMO.

Here in Bangers-R-Us Brent, we 'enjoy' Eid, Diwali and Guido Fawkes in a continuous succession of nocturnal detonations.

May I be the small contrary voice that says I actually quite enjoy the things? Still go oooh and aaah like a kid at a proper organised display, and enjoy cycling round town at night at this time of year, with random rockets in every direction.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5431 on: 05 November, 2014, 11:50:54 pm »
I like the pretty ones.  Could do without the bangs, especially the ones that aren't accompanied by an impressive air-burst of stars.  The screeches can fuck right off.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #5432 on: 05 November, 2014, 11:57:30 pm »
I like the pretty ones.  Could do without the bangs, especially the ones that aren't accompanied by an impressive air-burst of stars.  The screeches can fuck right off.

I completely agree, and I think that good firework displays can be amazing (I went to one at Alton Towers as a yoof and it was epic) but I hate having crap ones forced on me when I'm trying to sleep/eat/etc. Personally I'd be in favour of them being restricted to licenced professional displays only, rather than being sold to just anyone.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5433 on: 06 November, 2014, 07:31:50 am »

I completely agree, and I think that good firework displays can be amazing (I went to one at Alton Towers as a yoof and it was epic) but I hate having crap ones forced on me when I'm trying to sleep/eat/etc. Personally I'd be in favour of them being restricted to licenced professional displays only, rather than being sold to just anyone.

I am in full agreement here, except my experience of a display of wwesome was NYE 2009, Sydney Harbour.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5434 on: 06 November, 2014, 07:54:46 am »
I love fireworks and restricting them to licensed professional displays only is dull and boring.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5435 on: 06 November, 2014, 08:11:30 am »
We have woken up in Maidstone to an evocatively frosty November 6th. Only there are no rocket carcases all over the pavements. On don't led Saturn Cinqs d'antan? I blame Margaret Thatcher.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #5436 on: 06 November, 2014, 08:42:39 am »
We have woken up in Maidstone to an evocatively frosty November 6th. Only there are no rocket carcases all over the pavements. On don't led Saturn Cinqs d'antan? I blame Margaret Thatcher.

I blame autocorrect myself.

« Reply #5437 on: 06 November, 2014, 08:52:29 am »
I love fireworks and restricting them to licensed professional displays only is dull and boring.
+ several.

And this is despite the cat, who is not as HARDCORE as she thinks she is, coming home with what appears to be engine oil all over her fur, presumably from hiding under cars. If you don't like them, pusscat, stay home and watch the provided FOC in-house entertainment.

(click to show/hide)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5438 on: 06 November, 2014, 09:19:51 am »
The Mollycat is about as hardcore as supermarket own-brand Sliced White, but occasionally deigned to open one eye when the banging was at its loudest.

Though she did make a half-hearted attempt to bite me during a cat-tickling/loud bang juxtaposition.

« Reply #5439 on: 06 November, 2014, 09:48:51 am »
I had a dog that used to go insane during fireworks. Best thing you could do for him was lock him in a dark (indestructible) box. When I had trouble caring for him (complicated story), a nice couple asked if they could have him - they wanted a black and tan. I warned them about him and fireworks; some months later they wrote and said they hadn't listened - they'd locked him in the kitchen and gone out to a fireworks display. Came back to find the kitchen wrecked. He'd ripped cupboard doors off their hinges in his distress and made a good attempt at eating through the kitchen door.

The current family pet (a cat) couldn't give a fig for them. Totally ignores them.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5440 on: 06 November, 2014, 10:03:52 am »
I enjoyed what I saw and heard last night. Used to hate Diwali in blr though, cos of all the smoke.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5441 on: 06 November, 2014, 10:27:16 am »
I stayed at home last night to make sure Pete was ok with the fireworks, instead of going to pilates . He snored through them.  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5442 on: 06 November, 2014, 10:34:19 am »
Local rag got to place a gopro in the middle of the council organised display. Very nice viewpoint.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5443 on: 06 November, 2014, 11:53:23 am »

I blame autocorrect myself.
But she was autoincorrect.

Says he, typing on a mobile phone and a not very big one at that.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5444 on: 06 November, 2014, 11:55:34 am »
If you run a slightly posher than usual meeting, wash up your fucking crockery you nobbers.  I can tell it was a poshy nobby meeting cos it was the posh nobby tea-set we have in the kitchen rather than a collection of mugs left scattered everywhere (dirty).  I don't understand why people use this and then don't wash it up. Build 'washing up' into the clear down. Although half the people here won't clear up a meeting room after use either.

No wonder our kitchen looks like a student fucking house cos people like you dump all the crockery from a meeting in there with the idea that some magic fairies will wash them up. Once one person leaves something it seems to set up a cycle of everyone dumping their washing up and running off and then the sink ends up too full and no one CAN wash up in under 10 mins cos they've got to pick through all the fucking skank.

Your meeting. YOU wash the crockery, or make sure someone else does it. 

Still beats the nobber who poured oil into the washing up bowl of dirty left dishes so everything was covered in oily slime.  It's that nasty groupthink thing where no one cares cos it's just 'shared' so the untidy fuckers outnumber those of us who do a bit extra to keep the place reasonably clean.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5445 on: 06 November, 2014, 12:18:47 pm »
Oi, (Sort of) colleague!
Most people move away from their desks to make or receive personal call.
Never, ever put me in the situation again where I have to overhear a phone conversation that includes the phrase “wuv ‘oo”
 :sick:  :sick:  :sick:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

fuzzy

« Reply #5446 on: 06 November, 2014, 12:56:00 pm »
If you run a slightly posher than usual meeting, wash up your fucking crockery you nobbers.  I can tell it was a poshy nobby meeting cos it was the posh nobby tea-set we have in the kitchen rather than a collection of mugs left scattered everywhere (dirty).  I don't understand why people use this and then don't wash it up. Build 'washing up' into the clear down. Although half the people here won't clear up a meeting room after use either.

No wonder our kitchen looks like a student fucking house cos people like you dump all the crockery from a meeting in there with the idea that some magic fairies will wash them up. Once one person leaves something it seems to set up a cycle of everyone dumping their washing up and running off and then the sink ends up too full and no one CAN wash up in under 10 mins cos they've got to pick through all the fucking skank.

Your meeting. YOU wash the crockery, or make sure someone else does it. 

Still beats the nobber who poured oil into the washing up bowl of dirty left dishes so everything was covered in oily slime.  It's that nasty groupthink thing where no one cares cos it's just 'shared' so the untidy fuckers outnumber those of us who do a bit extra to keep the place reasonably clean.

Big notice over the sink/ counter etc.

"Any dirty crockery/ cutlery will be thrown in the bin"

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #5447 on: 06 November, 2014, 12:56:42 pm »

OK...    I'll downgrade my grumpy status to agree with this!  :)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5448 on: 06 November, 2014, 02:16:58 pm »
Big notice over the sink/ counter etc.

"Any dirty crockery/ cutlery will be thrown in the bin"

There is one and like in student houses no one reads it, even when it becomes passive aggressive note wars. 

But this is 'service crockery' so people wouldn't care till they needed and then there would be DWAMA.  I once saw an admin freaking out and wasting 30 mins trying to find who had hidden the posh saucers in their offices (they make good plates). 

We won't have a kitchen next year so this is all moot really. They think they can deprive us of a kettle and caffeine... I'm not quite sure what they expect us to do? Pay for Costa crap at £££ a go?  I'll probably be buying a travel kettle and fridge for my office at this rate if I even have an office and they don't decide 10 of us can fit in office space for 5 or hotdesk us (4 out of 6 of us have assistive tech and ergo specific set ups).

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5449 on: 06 November, 2014, 05:04:17 pm »
EE won't deal with a simple problem without me having to phone them - as if I can stand the mental torture of call centres and the premium rates.  T-Mobile (before being completely taken over by EE) fixed the same problem in the past via Twitter direct message - a bizarre but painless route.

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●