Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626125 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #10200 on: 07 August, 2018, 09:44:45 pm »
I had to climb a ladder because Drains, and now my knee hurts.
You just have to explain that one.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10201 on: 08 August, 2018, 12:09:28 am »
I had to climb a ladder because Drains, and now my knee hurts.
You just have to explain that one.

Suspicious patch of damp mossy soil alongside the boundary fence, in an otherwise arid wasteland of a cyclist's garden.  "Hmm," says I, digging experimentally with a bit of slate "something must be keeping that wet."

I fetch a ladder in order to peer over the fence, where a gutter downpipe (unlikely, given the lack of rain), upstairs soil pipe, and miscellaneous kitchen drains are known to be present.  The gully collecting the rain non-water and 35mm drains  is immediately adjacent to the fence, but looks normal.  As do the relevant inspection covers further down the neighbours' garden.  However a ~0.5m diameter damp patch on the concrete surrounds the soil pipe.

I photograph the evidence for the benefit of Agencies and Landlords, who are - according to the Law Of Sod - only likely to turn up to investigate 20 minutes after the rains arrive.

In doing so I notice a smaller damp patch around our own soil pipe.  Fearing the worst (ie. a manhole full of backed-up shite) I summon barakta and instruct her to go upstairs, run the sink and flush the bog.  Water trickles forth from the point where the bathroom sink/bath drain joins the soil pipe, flows down the outside of the pipe, and contributes to the puddle.  I extend the ladder to investigate, and succeed in solving the problem by shoving the grommet thingy back in properly and straightening the pipe a bit.  (I assume it's worked loose as a result of either ice expansion, or neighbours' builder incompetence.)

In descending the ladder, I step awkwardly onto the non-level ground, precipitating a minor flare-up of owmeknee.

We'll see what does and doesn't dry up over the next day or two, but I suspect the outstanding issue is Somebody Else's Problem.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10202 on: 08 August, 2018, 09:51:48 am »
I know I'm being a bit of a twat with all this posting, but I do have standards and I'm only allowing myself to make legitimate posts, ie no incorrectly filed rubbish. but his rule is making it difficult for me because I'm running out of threads to answer. I need more branes!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10203 on: 08 August, 2018, 01:10:25 pm »
I need a change in the Law to allow one to fire with impunity upon groups of loitering twats who stay noisy until 1 am.

Wasn't there a HF audio device that the young found ear-splitting but grown-ups couldn't hear?  I need one of those with a parabolic reflector.

Probably drive the dogs bats and the bats... :-\ doggy?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10204 on: 08 August, 2018, 01:26:55 pm »
There is, it was called a mosquito. It was rather frowned upon as being discriminatory to yoofs1 and its continued use has been discouraged.

1.Which was rather the point really.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10205 on: 08 August, 2018, 01:37:20 pm »
The yoof started using it as a teacher-proof ringtone, innit.

It was never that effective anyway (the world was already full of squealing CRT displays that old people couldn't hear, and now it's full of squealing SMPSUs and electric vehicles that old people can't hear).  If you've got so few options that hanging around a bus station seems like fun, then you're unlikely to be put off by an bit of noise.

Apparently playing classical music works much better at repelling antisocial yoof, but since they tend to be replaced by more strangely dressed (albeit much better behaved) yoof, the curmudgeons who can't tell the difference between antisocial behaviour and looking wierd, and think that actively repelling certain demographics is a reasonable thing to do, decided it was a failure.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10206 on: 08 August, 2018, 01:56:55 pm »
Ah, well you see, I've beaten old age by having my own internal whistling. No ageism here, and can hear high pitch sounds any time I like. Well, all the time actually, whether I want to or not.

I hate tinnitus  >:( :'(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10207 on: 08 August, 2018, 02:05:24 pm »
Yes, tinnitus is utterly shit.  I'm fortunate not to have experienced it for more than couple of days at a time.  Barkata is a chronic sufferer.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #10208 on: 08 August, 2018, 03:05:32 pm »
to be fair, my tinnitus is 90% better now I turn my hearing aids off a lot... Go figure.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10209 on: 08 August, 2018, 03:26:25 pm »
I did try white noise generators but that just replaces one irritation with another

« Reply #10210 on: 08 August, 2018, 03:28:51 pm »
The yoof started using it as a teacher-proof ringtone, innit.

It was never that effective anyway (the world was already full of squealing CRT displays that old people couldn't hear, and now it's full of squealing SMPSUs and electric vehicles that old people can't hear).  If you've got so few options that hanging around a bus station seems like fun, then you're unlikely to be put off by an bit of noise.

Apparently playing classical music works much better at repelling antisocial yoof, but since they tend to be replaced by more strangely dressed (albeit much better behaved) yoof, the curmudgeons who can't tell the difference between antisocial behaviour and looking wierd, and think that actively repelling certain demographics is a reasonable thing to do, decided it was a failure.

I've been in a high tech public loo that played classical music at you.   I'm not sure if it was to get you nice & relaxed, or to encourage you to spend as little time as possible in there.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10211 on: 08 August, 2018, 03:44:55 pm »
I guess I'll have to lobby our MP for a change in hunting regulations, then. Shouldn't be a problem, he's a right-winger.

In re tinnytush (ref. C-3PO), I have an aural hiss which varies in intensity with my blood glucose.

ian

« Reply #10212 on: 08 August, 2018, 03:45:21 pm »
West Croydon bus station plays classical music, presumably as a discouragement. They also got rid of shelter and any vestige of comfort. That said, spending any time in West Croydon is a bit like being trapped in an especially grim episode of The Walking Dead anyway.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10213 on: 08 August, 2018, 04:16:54 pm »
That's strange. I'm sure there aren't many audaxes going through West Croydon.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10214 on: 08 August, 2018, 04:35:47 pm »
That's strange. I'm sure there aren't many audaxes going through West Croydon.

FNRttC gets within zombie-shuffling range, thobut.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10215 on: 08 August, 2018, 05:17:06 pm »
Every French bus-shelter I've stopped in has benches designed for discomfort: too narrow or too sleep on or just not there.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10216 on: 08 August, 2018, 05:24:14 pm »
I was on a train with my son yesterday and as we stopped in Keynsham station, he was prompted to ask about the design of the seating. This consists of repeated rows of three individual metal seats with arm rests and a sort of long, slanted, steel, bum rest. Presumably the bum rest is cheaper than a proper bench while still allowing waiting passengers to take the weight off their legs to an extent (and some people certainly prefer to stand rather than sit anyway). But why the individual seats rather than a bench? In this case, I'd expect three seats to cost more than a bench seating three. But I guess the individual seats might be preferred by people nowadays, as we're all getting wider and so find it less comfortable to share a seat, and less sharing-y anyway. And perhaps most importantly, it makes it impossible to stretch out and sleep; though they'll be thinking of street homeless rather than audaxers or post-midnight passengers.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #10217 on: 08 August, 2018, 08:39:01 pm »
Maccie D seats used to be tilted forward slightly to encourage you to buzz off after 15 mins or so.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10218 on: 08 August, 2018, 08:44:12 pm »
Many seats and other resting places are designed to be hostile and discourage loitering or lying down.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #10219 on: 09 August, 2018, 01:24:44 pm »
I'm booking a flight, which has necessitated dealing with Mario at $CallCentre.  That's not the grumble.  The real grumble is being referred to as "Mr. $FirstName".  I know it sometimes works that way in other languages (i.e. Ukrainian.  'title' shows respect, but FirstName indicates familiarity).  But NOT in English.  No, 'Mario' does not sound like he's from a country where English is primary language, which is why this is in the Grumble rather than the Rant thread.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #10220 on: 09 August, 2018, 09:44:42 pm »
Re the music, there was an underground car park in Bath that played birdsong. Which was odd.

I went for a ride today. The ride was very nice. But... rack pack came off, water bottle bite valve came out, water bottle came out of cage, bike computer stopped working, and LG phone GPS being flakey means Strava tried to claim 38km was 10km.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10221 on: 09 August, 2018, 09:53:33 pm »
I guess I'll have to lobby our MP for a change in hunting regulations, then. Shouldn't be a problem, he's a right-winger.

In re tinnytush (ref. C-3PO), I have an aural hiss which varies in intensity with my blood glucose.

That's interesting.  I've had tinnitus since well before diagnosis, but now seem much worse.  My BG is generally pretty good (98% of readings in target range).  Today it seems quite bad, but that may be a 6-CD journey in a LandRover Discovery at 60-70mph with the windows open (no air con) and the stereo turned up on Moody Blues and Chris Rea
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10222 on: 10 August, 2018, 02:15:56 pm »
TFW you've got the day off but you can't sit in the garden cos some git has not only got a garden chipper going but a bloody bonfire with the wind blowing in the wrong direction. And sitting in the flat isn't much better cos the old git across the road is using a circular saw to chop up bits of wood.

I suppose being as I can't beat 'em I could join them and chop kindling but I had a beer for lunch so probably best not.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #10223 on: 10 August, 2018, 06:41:17 pm »
Try working from home. My remote command centre has a splendidly appointed balcony, nicely shaded in the afternoon, with a table and chair. Oh a pleasingly warm summer's day I can take my laptop and phone, set up, relax and....

Every time I do this someone will crank up a chainsaw, strimmer, pneumatic drill etc. Or just start randomly banging something with a hammer. For hours like some obsessive compulsive Thor. Or the worst thing, the constant beep beep beep beep of reversing vehicles. I am researching who invented the reversing vehicle warning and then I'm going to track down and kill them. Everyone involved is going to die and it won't be pleasant. For them. Me, I'm going to enjoy every long bloody minutes of their slow fucking demise. The last thing they're going to need to worry about is a vehicle reversing. Unless it's over their big fat stupid melon heads.

In other murdering news, I was just stuffing cherries in my mouth and I bit down on one and it splattered everywhere. It looks like I've murdered a purple blooded alien. In fact I got it all over my contact lens so everything has taken on a strange hue. Is it time to start drinking yet?

« Reply #10224 on: 11 August, 2018, 11:48:38 am »
A lot of interference on the TV last night so I retuned it to see if it helped. Now have 40 channels fewer than before.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams