Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626188 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #15900 on: 18 February, 2023, 10:35:00 pm »
Brekkie chez Andrew.  Kettle on, crumpets toasting, coffee grinder grinding.    Then all 3 stop.  Not a power cut, lights are fine.

All 3 are plugged into a 4 plug extension lead which goes to a double wall socket.  I move the plug to the other socket & everything starts working again....
I strongly suspect it's wot Kim sed.

I suggest not switching on the kettle at the same time as the other two, or (once the sockets have been replaced) plugging the kettle into one socket & the others into the other one.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15901 on: 19 February, 2023, 12:48:36 pm »
Today I am mostly learning that while the Gorgeous Grandchildren are indeed Gorgeous, they are also walking crawling biological warfare units with not a care who they infect.

(Safe distance from khazi < 5m)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #15902 on: 19 February, 2023, 01:07:00 pm »
Dirty little vectors of disease!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #15903 on: 20 February, 2023, 10:01:01 am »
They work in teams. Elder gorgeous grandchild started pre-school last autumn and brings back anything going round. Younger gorgeous grandchild then proceeds to sneeze/dribble/ooze it on you (escaped the last round as I already had chickenpox as a child myself).

« Reply #15904 on: 20 February, 2023, 07:16:33 pm »
The Royal Mail click&drop website.. I’ve not used it for a while. Went on, and part way through I’m asked “Would you like to arrange collection” - with no option to say “No”. Went out and back, thinking I’d missed something. Nope. Turns out that only when you’ve put your postage into your basket and go to pay, do you get the option to remove the zero cost collection   ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15905 on: 20 February, 2023, 07:17:55 pm »
The Royal Mail click&drop website.. I’ve not used it for a while. Went on, and part way through I’m asked “Would you like to arrange collection” - with no option to say “No”. Went out and back, thinking I’d missed something. Nope. Turns out that only when you’ve put your postage into your basket and go to pay, do you get the option to remove the zero cost collection   ::-)

Ah yes, I've neglected to rant about that one previously.  Bloody stupid piece of UI.

« Reply #15906 on: 20 February, 2023, 10:14:38 pm »
I'm a Le Guin fangirl, so for me, Ansible is already a thing, admittedly a fictional thing but I am disproportionately irritated that it's name is used for a Linux geeky thing that Mr Smith is using for work.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15907 on: 21 February, 2023, 12:13:56 am »
I'm a Le Guin fangirl, so for me, Ansible is already a thing, admittedly a fictional thing but I am disproportionately irritated that it's name is used for a Linux geeky thing that Mr Smith is using for work.

It wouldn't be so bad if the name was used for a Linux geeky thing that was a revolutionary type of communications tool, but AIUI it's something dull that the grown-up spaceadmins use for sheepdogging their herds of pretend computers.

I believe the term has been Lobachevskied by assorted lesser science fiction writers, so we can't even assume that the offending Linux geek has good taste in books.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15908 on: 21 February, 2023, 07:58:54 am »

It wouldn't be so bad if the name was used for a Linux geeky thing that was a revolutionary type of communications tool, but AIUI it's something dull that the grown-up spaceadmins use for sheepdogging their herds of pretend computers.

I believe the term has been Lobachevskied by assorted lesser science fiction writers, so we can't even assume that the offending Linux geek has good taste in books.
Could someone kind and patient please explain for me the meaning, use and origin of this term "Lobachevskied"? I know that Nikolai Lobachevski was a 19th century mathematician who discovered/invented/explored something to do with geometry, but that doesn't seem terribly relevant.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15909 on: 21 February, 2023, 08:50:03 am »

Could someone kind and patient please explain for me the meaning, use and origin of this term "Lobachevskied"? I know that Nikolai Lobachevski was a 19th century mathematician who discovered/invented/explored something to do with geometry, but that doesn't seem terribly relevant.

Tom Lehrer may throw some light on this with his parody song . . .  https://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/l/lobachevsky.html    (also on YT   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQHaGhC7C2E  )

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15910 on: 21 February, 2023, 09:28:03 am »

Tom Lehrer may throw some light on this with his parody song . . .  https://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/l/lobachevsky.html    (also on YT   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQHaGhC7C2E  )
:thumbsup:
One for the explanation
and another for the song
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15911 on: 21 February, 2023, 10:18:03 am »

One for the explanation
and another for the song

If you're not familiar with Lehrer it's worth a listen to many of his satirical songs . . .  most are on YT or can be found as free downloads.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15912 on: 21 February, 2023, 10:27:15 am »
He recently threw open his entire back catalogue for free download – sheet music and recordings.  Except the rare-as-hen's-teeth album recorded live in Australia; presumably someone else owns the rights to that.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #15913 on: 21 February, 2023, 11:07:49 am »
He recently threw open his entire back catalogue for free download – sheet music and recordings.  Except the rare-as-hen's-teeth album recorded live in Australia; presumably someone else owns the rights to that.

Here, should you need it:

https://tomlehrersongs.com/

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #15914 on: 25 February, 2023, 04:30:07 pm »
Why can’t the broadcasters just get subtitle placement right? I’ve been watching the rugby this afternoon, and both ITV and the BBC have decided that putting the subtitles in the top right hand corner is a good idea. That is over the match information panel, you know, the panel that has things like the score, match time and penalty information. The stuff those of us that are deaf can’t get from any other source.

Idiots.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #15915 on: 27 February, 2023, 05:32:09 pm »
O hai BT!

Your talking machine left a message on my listening machine that was so long that the latter got bored and cut your droid off in mid-sentence.  This is silly.  Stop it.

Kthxbai

« Reply #15916 on: 02 March, 2023, 12:08:33 pm »
Dear Vitality Health, I know costs are increasing, but an increase in the premium I'm expected to pay for my wife of 60% "because people join the scheme, get treatment, then leave" (we have an annual option to join/leave so that takes some premeditation!) smacks somewhat of bullshit. I'm sure you'll manage fine without my (and I expect quite a few others) contributions. Luckily my employer (for the time being at least) still covers me, which for hoi polloi in a British company (ok, we're Japanese owned) is unusual in itself.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15917 on: 03 March, 2023, 07:17:12 pm »
Next week, on International Women's Day, our diversity ERG (employee resource group) is holding an event to celebrate. 'Embrace Equity' is this year's theme.
I'm right on board with the diversity and inclusion thing, but do you absolutely have to make people pose like a plonker for some ridiculous social media shot (last year it was crossed arms under your chin, this year seems to look like hugging yourself)?

<Exit stage right to the introvert zone>
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #15918 on: 03 March, 2023, 08:54:16 pm »
I will be sure to embrace equity by tightly hugging my bosses.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #15919 on: 04 March, 2023, 10:38:30 am »
Embrace equity = take the money and run.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #15920 on: 04 March, 2023, 12:32:28 pm »
Embrace equity = take the money and run.

Yes, I thought that too. Giz more equity plz.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #15921 on: 04 March, 2023, 01:05:03 pm »

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #15922 on: 04 March, 2023, 02:18:38 pm »
I'm going to France tomorrow for work. Due to travel home on Wednesday (which will take all day as there are no Air France flights to Furrybootoon anymore).
Except there are French strikes planned for Tuesday and Wednesday.
What could possibly go wrong? (Packs extra undies)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #15923 on: 04 March, 2023, 02:51:01 pm »
One wonders why, given the absolute pot-mess HMG's Govt have made of things here, quite why you'd want to come back?  Have you considered claiming political asylum when you get there?  Failing that you could try for refugee status.  Got to be worth a go.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #15924 on: 04 March, 2023, 07:55:32 pm »
“Damn and blast British Telecom!” shouted Mr Larrington, the words coming easily through force of habit.

My Internets has died.  Again.