Author Topic: Writing an acknowledgements section of a scientific paper  (Read 41494 times)

gonzo

Writing an acknowledgements section of a scientific paper
« on: 28 April, 2008, 10:51:38 am »
How precisely does one write an acknowledgements section?

a) Bob [just name]

b) I'd like to thank Bob for his valuable help regarding X, Y and Z [name and what they contributed]

c) Another option

I've never done one before and we seem to have lots of people on here who work for universities who've probably seen lots (both good and bad)!

Ta muchly

Re: Writing an acknowledgements section of a scientific paper
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2008, 10:55:33 am »
The present work benefited form the input of x, head of research at y, who provided valuable comments/ideas/assistance to the writing/undertaking of the research summarised here.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2008, 10:56:08 am »
If it's a paper for external publication in a journal then any acknowledgement should be specifically for help and advice

"The authors wish to thank Dr Bob Beaker for his help in taming the dragon and his advice on how long to boil its eggs"

If it's an internal one, like a dissertation or a thesis you can be a bit more lax.  My PhD thesis thanked Oliver Heaviside, John Peel, the Bulgarian State wine exporting company, several cats and Mrs MV.  In verse :)

« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2008, 10:57:24 am »
If you benefited from funding or formal support, you want this written up with the reference code etc.

gonzo

« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2008, 11:08:17 am »
Thanks for the advice guys!

If it's an internal one, like a dissertation or a thesis you can be a bit more lax.  My PhD thesis thanked Oliver Heaviside, John Peel, the Bulgarian State wine exporting company, several cats and Mrs MV.  In verse :)

;D ;D ;D

The present work benefited form the input of x, head of research at y, who provided valuable comments/ideas/assistance to the writing/undertaking of the research summarised here.

x = Frenchie per chance or would you prefer your formal title*

*Dr Frenchie

« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2008, 12:09:52 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys!

;D ;D ;D

x = Frenchie per chance or would you prefer your formal title*

*Dr Frenchie

8)

« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2008, 12:11:25 pm »
More seriously, short and to the point is best. I get annoyed when people write such section as if it were a CD jacket...  ::-)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #7 on: 28 April, 2008, 04:10:39 pm »
The authors would like to thank X for Y, B for C and P for Q. XXX is supported by a XXRC studentship. YYY was supported by XXRC project grant ref A/BB/CC12345.

I did some work using antibodies in chicken eggs once. Never quite got round to including in the M&M section "yolks were separated from whites using the method of Beeton" and citing the appropriate book.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes