Author Topic: Which GPS would best suit me?  (Read 1297 times)

Andrew

Which GPS would best suit me?
« on: 25 February, 2013, 11:34:51 am »
Seeing as we have a number of 'which GPS' threads, I thought I might add to them!

I have a Garmin Edge 305 which I am, for the most part,  quite content with. It does have however a single issue that I would ideally like to address; a data storage limitation. That is, it overwrites itself after around 400km.

I like the form factor of the Edge, I can manage its battery life limitations and find following a bread crumb trail to be sufficient. I like the HR and cadence facility. No interest in full sat nav style routing or poi or marking waypoints etc etc.

I looked at the new 510 with interest but have decided it's expensive overkill (though, having geek-ish tendancies, I do like it's connectivity options, notably live tracking).

I don't like the size of the older Garmins (the brick on the handlebar!) but wonder if the newer ones are less bulky. (Btw, I had an Etrex once) Might there even be something outside of the Garmin range that might do?

What are the thoughts of my knowledgeable fellow forumers?

Re: Which GPS would best suit me?
« Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2013, 12:12:00 pm »
<struggles to resist facetious response to title reflecting on your favoured club kit and the preponderance of Grey vs Oringe Garmins>

Andrew

« Reply #2 on: 25 February, 2013, 12:16:36 pm »
Now perhaps I'm being thick here but I have no idea what you mean.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 25 February, 2013, 12:21:34 pm »
Edge 500 if you want something fairly small and simple. Probably fairly cheap now the 510 is available. Though limited battery life. And not sure how long a track it can record.

Or Foretrex 401. Its small, and uses AAA batteries, so you can carry spares if necessary.

« Reply #4 on: 25 February, 2013, 12:40:31 pm »
Etrex 30 has cadence & hr, and has lost some of its Soviet-era scientific test equipment charm. It also now mounts on the stem. Plays nicely with strava once you know where it hides its files.

Andrew

« Reply #5 on: 25 February, 2013, 01:47:15 pm »
Thanks for the responses so far.

Thinking about it more, it seems an answer might be 'no such GPS exists'. It seems from googling around that to address my single issue with the 305, I have to buy functionality I don't need.

Interestingly,  the 305 manual says it only has 3.5 hours worth of detailed history storage (I find that difficult to believe since I easily store more than that!) but, whatever, Garmin says the 500 has 150 hours.... maybe that's the answer I need?

Initial googling has suggested the 500 wont charge and record at the same time.... now that would be a show stopper!