Author Topic: The Pompino Thread  (Read 77907 times)

Re: The Pompino Thread
« Reply #50 on: 10 April, 2011, 09:51:34 pm »
On-One took my Pompino back and refunded my card. They had this comment to make about the frame geometry:

Quote from: on-one
I agree totally that the toe clearance is far too small but general opinion does differ here a little - a couple of people have pointed out this is generally the case on small frames.

Sorry for any dissapointment caused and I hope you will shop with On-one again in the future!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #51 on: 10 April, 2011, 09:52:10 pm »
I do wonder about On-One geometry.  My Inbred is weird, requiring a 30mm stem, a humungous stack of headset spacers and a 410mm seatpost to get even vaguely close to the riding position of my other bikes.

That's an 18" frame; the 20" would require a zero extension stem and the 16" would require a seatpost so long, it doesn't exist.  And the head tube is bizarrely short and my heels clip the seatstays sometimes.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #52 on: 11 April, 2011, 09:12:22 am »
"The toe clearance is far too small"? Huh? What they mean is "the toe overlap is far too large."

It's more likely to be a problem on smaller frames, yes, but it's certainly not "generally the case". I'm glad they sorted it though.

Chris N

« Reply #53 on: 11 April, 2011, 09:43:59 am »
I do wonder about On-One geometry.  My Inbred is weird, requiring a 30mm stem, a humungous stack of headset spacers and a 410mm seatpost to get even vaguely close to the riding position of my other bikes.

That's an 18" frame; the 20" would require a zero extension stem and the 16" would require a seatpost so long, it doesn't exist.  And the head tube is bizarrely short and my heels clip the seatstays sometimes.

I reckon the problem you've got is caused by your fork being too short. put a 4-5" suspension fork on there and everything will line up nicely.

« Reply #54 on: 11 April, 2011, 07:00:49 pm »
Wow - that's quite extreme! Switch to really short cranks?!
Extreme indeed. I couldn't ride that at all. Tight turns would be suicide. It looks fit only for riding in a straight line.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #55 on: 11 April, 2011, 07:03:30 pm »

I reckon the problem you've got is caused by your fork being too short. put a 4-5" suspension fork on there and everything will line up nicely.
No, fork is the specified length, although it's rigid.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #56 on: 12 April, 2011, 09:36:45 pm »

Oi, you two, p**s off. This is a thread about Pompinos, not Inbreds, go start your own thread.

Chris S

« Reply #57 on: 12 April, 2011, 09:37:43 pm »

Oi, you two, p**s off. This is a thread about Pompinos, not Inbreds, go start your own thread.

;D

ravenbait

« Reply #58 on: 13 April, 2011, 09:43:00 am »
Same thing happened to me when I bought mine. Only I had actually ordered the medium so when they sent a small and the toe overlap was ridiculous there was no quibbling about sending it back.

That was years ago.

Sam

« Reply #59 on: 16 May, 2011, 10:59:24 pm »
Does this qualify for this thread?

My cross London ride home tonight....

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #60 on: 18 May, 2011, 04:53:44 pm »
Hmmmmm ........... is that a Pompino ? ............. discuss.

« Reply #61 on: 18 May, 2011, 08:56:23 pm »
Nope. It's a Pompetamine Versa!

« Reply #62 on: 14 August, 2011, 05:06:06 pm »
After my Langster cracked, I joined the Pompino club. It's pretty thrown together with the parts off the Langster, and assorted other bits I had in the parts box, plus some salvage, but actually looks less ghetto than I thought it would. Disc brake just installed, all ready for winter.

« Reply #63 on: 30 November, 2011, 09:00:43 pm »
Probably says more about the state of my kitchen than the bike, but hey:

Brand New and Unridden.

(He better grow a wee bit more, or he'll be selling it in a year...)

« Reply #64 on: 15 August, 2012, 10:23:04 am »
My new Pompino:

Chrome cable outers were so the right decision.

« Reply #65 on: 15 August, 2012, 10:54:18 am »
Looks familiar! :)
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #66 on: 15 August, 2012, 11:28:59 am »
:thumbsup:

Getting there...

« Reply #67 on: 02 September, 2012, 06:30:10 pm »
Lil question.

Do you think old style 27 x 11/4 wheels would fit?
I've got some 120mm solid axle L/flange wheels in that size. Plus just about everything to build up one of these.
My blog.... www.smilerbiker.blogspot.co.uk

'Pick it up and run'

« Reply #68 on: 02 September, 2012, 08:48:34 pm »
Might well do. The frames have generous clearances. In theory, the brake mounts will be at the wrong height, but there's not much in it, and various people have successfully fitted 700Cs to bikes with brazings for 27".

« Reply #69 on: 03 September, 2012, 10:40:12 am »
My new Pompino:

Chrome cable outers were so the right decision.

Very nice... what bars have you got on?

LEE

« Reply #70 on: 03 September, 2012, 03:07:52 pm »
I think I'd really like a light-blue Pompino.

Can someone ping me is they know of one coming up for sale (or a frame).

I'm 5'10" (is that a medium? I only know old money frames 22-23")

« Reply #71 on: 04 September, 2012, 04:02:50 pm »
they're only 99 new, plus 40 quid for a fork... Different blue though.

« Reply #72 on: 05 September, 2012, 08:24:48 am »
I think I'd really like a light-blue Pompino.

Can someone ping me is they know of one coming up for sale (or a frame).

I'm 5'10" (is that a medium? I only know old money frames 22-23")

One of my clubmates has a VERY light blue1 one for sale for £325. Your size (I think).

1I think he referred to it as white.

« Reply #73 on: 06 October, 2012, 02:53:47 pm »
Well, I've gone and joined the club.

I've mentioned my dislike for the look of the pompino rear end in the past, but I needed something a bit more comfortable and winter friendly. I reckon they don't look half bad in white either. Needs a black stem though.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #74 on: 07 October, 2012, 07:23:03 am »
That does look lovely kyuss - I like the white finish a lot. Not sure how winter friendly it will be having to keep it white though!

Very nice though.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!