Author Topic: Boring mudguard question  (Read 2798 times)

Tiger

Boring mudguard question
« on: 20 May, 2008, 03:58:57 pm »
Is there a good light not too big rear guard that goes on a 26" wheel? I have used raceblades for a year but they are always wonky and rub, and frankly they are ugly too.  MTB guards are no good at all - and road bike size guards look wrong.

Have not found what I want in the shops yet.

bikenerd

Re: Boring mudguard question
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2008, 04:02:00 pm »
Does your MTB have a seat stay bridge?  Use a normal mudguard with P clips to secure the mudguard stays and cable ties to secure the part of the mudguard that usually fits behind the brake.  Or remove that part and drill four holes in the 'guard and cable tie that to the seat stay bridge.
Bodging is good!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2008, 09:08:19 am »
SKS do 26 inch versions and also two different widths I believe.  I have some on my Roughstuff tourer.   And, they come in silver or black so if you don't want something overly visible go for black.

Such as these ...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2008, 09:59:45 am »
Get a tailbox ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2008, 10:40:02 am »
If the guard is to far away from the wheel, cut the stays down with a hacksaw and refit.
Mine are 26" and look ok, I've had to bend the stays abit though to get around the disc caliper.

Rich.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 21 May, 2008, 10:51:49 am »
Mine are 26" and look ok, I've had to bend the stays abit though to get around the disc caliper.

I used a piece of tube found in a box in The Sheds as a spacer on the front of the Speedmachine, thereby avoiding Unpleasant Bending ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6 on: 21 May, 2008, 01:52:47 pm »
Have not found what I want in the shops yet.

Have you tried Condor? They had a good range of different sizes this time last year. Nice black curved-profile Bluemels-like ones  :)
Profit or planet?

Tiger

« Reply #7 on: 21 May, 2008, 05:40:30 pm »
Ah - yes this is for the recumbent fujin not a MTB bike.  It is a tricky fit on the rear wheel with silly clearances etc - Not designed to have a guard - presumably not meant to be rode in the wet infact.

I thought SKS did a 26" narrow guage - that would do nicely - thanks for the direction.