Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3903814 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #21825 on: 22 April, 2018, 07:07:51 pm »
Silly bike racing in dePreston with the BHPC.  Because they seemed so enthusiastic about me coming back last time...

That was some awfully intensive Type 1.5 Fun.  General nervousness about tyres (corners, staying rubber-side-down on) was ultimately more limiting than my lungs, which - surprisingly - were more limiting than my lack of recumbent fitness.  The Red Baron performed flawlessly throughout, because nobody had told it the date.  It was positively egging me on on some of the corners.

I didn't fall off, and thanks to the combination of mitts, elbow pads and a lack of forward planning, I'm now the proud owner of a 2" patch of sunburn on each wrist inna Mark Knopfler style.  I'm not sure where else there is to go with stupid cycling tanlines that doesn't involve baldness or owning a Windcheetah.

So now we have to find you a Windcheetah on the excuse that you're working on your tan  8)
And get your head shaved.  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21826 on: 23 April, 2018, 10:41:03 am »
90k in a bunch through the Black Forest, 12% climbs and a 15% descent, heart doing daft things but hey, I'm alive. Excellent espresso in Baden-Baden + conversation with local lady who could tell I wasn't from town - but maybe Würtemberg? - which pleased me no end. After lunch, back over Rhine into France and a flat toddle back to start with the wind behind us. 26°C ave, 32° at one point.

Pic from Dalhunden on the French side:

Oh aye, very noticeable in the BF were the 4-wheel bath-tubs (aka topless automobiles) that would simmer away behind us in the climbs, then overtake with a great roar to reassert their arseholeaciousness as soon as they had the chance. Vroom.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #21827 on: 23 April, 2018, 10:16:38 pm »
After a rubbish few months, as a consequence of losing a good friend at the start of the year, followed by my detached retina and asubsequent fall and rib damage - plus working too hard - I finally got out on the bike this weekend. Not a moment too soon given what's coming up!

Yesterday, 52 miles with a quick mate yesterday, including Langbar and Skyrehome, then sitting in his lee as he made 250 watts back along Duck Street (he was very patient).

Today, 40 miles with a couple of other mates, who were I suspect surprised by very low rate of ascent. CV system fine and not really challenged, but legs empty. Not helped by the rear going down so I rode mode of West End, Duck Street and descended Greenhow on the rim and with a slightly binding rear brake. 'Borrowed' an inner tube to put in the Schwalbe One Tubeless (lesson 1 - don't let the sealant dry out before riding) and took it easy home from Pately. (lesson 2 - riding with a tyre so flat the rim keeps hitting the road is uncomfortable and after 10+ miles will leave you needing a new tyre)

I'm tired now:)

Mike

And to complete the story, I went out to swap out the rear tyre tonight and found that I’d bent the rim hitting a channel across the road descending Greenhow Hill with my flat tyre...

Tubeless plus, tyre and I stayed on. Tubeless negative, I could still ride the bike.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #21828 on: 24 April, 2018, 07:24:45 pm »
I had a lovely (um ... well yes, lovely) ride out with Deano today. We met up in York despite me catching the wrong train from Brough and rode out along "Bad Bargain Lane" into the flat countryside east of York and north of the A1079.

Deano's route planning Kung Fu had us meandering through quiet lanes past Sand Hutton and Bossall before hitting the first climb of the day. I've ridden all of these climbs at least once so sat back into a twiddly gear and unzipped my jersey - preparing for the exertion. Deano had gears! Off he rode, floating uphill ahead of me. We climbed Thrussendale Road which was steep but smooth enough, before dropping down Hanging Grimston which Deano described as "I Can't Believe It's Not Off-Road" : gated with 17% descents and gravel with broken road surface that makes Scotland's roads look buttery.

We climbed one more time, the clue was in the name: Painsthorpe... Thankfully we only climbed Uncleby Hill - I don't know if this was on purpose, but Deano was the navigator.

Now we were heading to Pocklington to visit 'Granny Annie'... Crinkle's Mum. (I hope I've got that right, this was my first meeting with her.) However, Deano felt the sign that pointed to Pocklington would be too obvious, so instead he found a farm to traipse across near Millington. What's a bike ride without a walk across a field eh?

It was drizzling with rain as we reached Pock for coffee.

Leaving Pocklington, I suggested we continue west to take advantage of the wind direction and that I'd pay for a train ticket for Deano to get back to York. This seemed like a good plan... but. But. ... Despite this not actually working out, we had a brilliant ride along the Pocklington Canal and saw some disused locks. Deano took some "Bridge of the Day" photos.

Rain. Lots of rain. Hunger. Closed Truckers Cafe. Pubs not serving food. Did I mention rain? We found ourselves in Market Weighton and drip dried in a chip shop.

We parted ways. Yes the riding had been fun but the weather has caught us out. No rain coats. When I left Deano he was planning to get his bike on a bus. I set off along the Cliffe road and pretty much blasted my way home setting personal bests the whole way. An hour later, with a six pack in hand I reached home. Shower/Bike Cleaned/more food and I'm now sat in a La-Z-Boy chair wondering if I'll finish this post before I fall asleep. 105km - more tiring than I anticipated. Beautiful off-road and some delightful new places to visit thanks to Deano's planning.

Those doing his More Gravel Please or Don't Keep To The Road "Brevet Unpopulaire" events next weekend are in for a treat.

G.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21829 on: 25 April, 2018, 10:59:38 am »
A couple of reasonable outings over the back end of last week and Saturday to keep up the average of about 100km in weeks where I have actually cycled. Only two weeks this year, so far have big fat zero's screaming at me.

A quick jaunt on Sunday with a nice following breeze for most of it, now able to take a bottle out and drink on the move with the Cruzbike, so another step forward for the summer tour.

Yesterday I felt ridiculous perched on top of my old 90's MTB runabout for about 12km down to the station and back.  First upwrong ride for about the last 600km, previous one was intra village to pick up a tool from a mate round the corner.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21830 on: 29 April, 2018, 08:42:34 am »
Set out yesterday thinking vaguely of doing a favourite 140k route, but at just 10k from home I suddenly felt utterly fed up and packed it in. I reckon it's post-summer blues: riding in 14°C with blustery wind and curtains of rain in the distance just can't compare with toddling along in 28°C and a gentle breeze, as we did last Sunday. :(

Also, all my good togs being in the wash I was wearing somewhat antiquated shorts which made sitting down again after standing on the pedals somewhat ouchiferous.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21831 on: 04 May, 2018, 05:26:27 pm »
Had to give a Holter back to the cardiologist, so to give him something interesting to look at I did it by bike via a 200-metre climb. Hope the things withstand sweat.  Had a disgusting cake + mediocre coffee down in Wissembourg thereafter, and went home via a lumpy hill-foot road to use up the carbs.  Nice day but windy as hell. Coming down from col straight into it was fun; at one point there's a long stretch with regularly-spaced trees either side, and they set up eddies that whipped from one side to the other as I went down.  Was glad I had round spokes instead of the flat ones once beloved of Mavic - windage on those used to be fierce, not to mention the noise.  Only 47k but ~700 metres of climbing, good ride.

« Reply #21832 on: 04 May, 2018, 07:33:45 pm »
A potter with Jonathan notp to Dinton pastures and back. A nice warm gentle ride using the sun EZ3 trike . 38 miles today :-)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #21833 on: 05 May, 2018, 12:51:21 am »
Little bit of the Eston Hills, for the first time in 20-some years. I got a train out to Boro, just to avoid those dull flat miles with a tailwind that everybody hates.

And cos I like, a challenge, I went in via a footpath from Grangetown/Lackenby, inbetween fences. After hacking through the undergrowth and knocked-down fences, I came up to a lovely tarmac path, and I realised I could've just went through the houses. Ah well. At least there was a bridge over the Parkway, though the stupid kissing-gate proved a bit of a challenge.

At the other side, steps. Lots of steps. Wait, not just steps - a treefall blocked a substantial section. Did I mention it was steep? The North Face of the Eiger, meet the North Face of Elsdon Nab. I'm sure you have a lot in common.

Most cyclists go in from the south or east. I couldn't remember how we got there back in the nineties.

Amazing views at the top, though, and the Doomsday alarm was howling out from the Wilton Site.

I rolled down the posh side, which was ridable, a steady gradient, and lovely. I'd dropped my vaper, which was lucky, cos I quite enjoyed the climb back up to collect it. Coffee with Chris, then off out the back of Guisborough and up the Unsuitables (why is it called that anyway?) to Percy Rigg and my planned lunch stop at Kildale Cafe. Closed. I sat on a bench next to a Cleveland Way walker for a chat and to scran most of my snacks.

As I'd dropped back out of the hills, I had a sharp little climb up the Baysdale Abbey road back to the tops, then back to the offroad along Rudland Rigg, which stays up high, and keeps staying up high, until it doesn't anymore and howls downhill into Kirkbymoorside. The chippy wasn't open for another hour, but the Corner Cafe was pretty good.

To cut a long story short (too late - Ed.), I hacked along the main road for a bit to get some miles in, it being 4 o'clock, but diverted around Scawton and Old Byland with just the one more climb before a bit of the Drovers' Road and some ludicrous offroad out the back of Boltby Forest to Kepwick.

I followed the track out to here, which was lovely, and after admiring the view, I looked down the cliff face and wondered how the fuck I was meant to get down.

Turns out, the bridleway cuts down through a narrow gully, hung over by green stuff forming a rough tunnel. The cows at the bottom weren't very friendly either.

I had good intentions of riding home, but I checked the train times, and there was a train in 20 minutes, and I was a fifteen-minute ride away from the station. Reader, I took the train.

« Reply #21834 on: 05 May, 2018, 08:03:35 am »
Outstanding repor!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #21835 on: 07 May, 2018, 02:51:18 pm »
Went for a rumble on the singlespeed.  Saw no other cyclists (at 8am) but it was also mercifully traffic-free.  Then drove to Lechlade and by the time we left there wasn't a parking space to be had and the queue was half a mile long on the A361.  Saw a lot more cyclists by then.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #21836 on: 07 May, 2018, 07:16:50 pm »
On account of it being a holliberry in some places, I did take the day off.
I went out for a spin with Mrs. F today, a local 100k loop.
It came in at 107k, which made it her longest ever ride, and she got a several medals and wee cups from the Strava machine.

It seems that many of the local cafes regard Mon / Tues as their weekend, and were closed.
So a lunch stop at the NTS Castle Fraser, with the OAPs, and staff of day-dreaming Saturday-girls whose heads were mostly concenrned with ponies or boyfriends or whatever they daydream about.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1555738340

« Reply #21837 on: 07 May, 2018, 07:52:07 pm »
Another 45k today which meant nearly a 100k since Thursday, while I realize that's a mornings work for some have had far far too little time on the bike this year so three rides in five days is a bonus. Generally hot and there was no where for tea in coggeshall.

Chris S

« Reply #21838 on: 07 May, 2018, 08:30:40 pm »
... and up the Unsuitables (why is it called that anyway?) ...

Maybe because it used to look like this (1:40 onwards):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBg1x2guGX4

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #21839 on: 08 May, 2018, 08:33:36 am »
Took Mrs and mini-Redlight on a little ride down what is laughingly known as NCN1, from Greenwich.  The plan was to ride as far as the Dartford bridge and then get a train back from the nearby  Stone Crossing station. However, the route from Greenwich to Woolwich was such a mess, in terms of missing or wrongly-pointing signs, bits of route that chucked us back on to a fast-moving dual carriageway and the usual detritus that attacks tyres, that by the time we got to Woolwich and the path became traffic-free and unbroken, they were both somewhat disenchanted. 

Nevertheless, we continued and the ride from Woolwich to Crayford was general rather pleasant (apart from an encounter with a bunch of knuckle draggers who had decided that the best place to hang around in a large group drinking vodka straight from the bottle was the narrowest part of the path). Then, after a bit more of Sustrans' high-quality routing, we came to a stretch where the path was replaced by what could be charitably described as a footpath - barely a tyre's width and no room for passing, flanked by bramble and nettles.  At that point, they (well, all of us actually) rebelled and we turned back to take a train home from Erith.

It's a shame. The Thames Path could be a lovely ride but so much of it is half-baked or neglected that it's not one I'd recommend, apart from the short stretch from Woolwich to Erith. It's hard to imagine what any visitor from the  mainland, expecting a clear route from Dover to London, would think of it.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #21840 on: 08 May, 2018, 11:10:30 am »
I'd agree entirely with your assessment there. That 'footpath' bit seems to go on forever and it feels like you're making no progress. It's not that inspiring if you continue to Dartford either.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #21841 on: 08 May, 2018, 11:14:21 am »
Madame has worked the night so after picking her up, 1st petit dej and leaving her sleeping I actually got out reasonably early. I took the tourer 'cos
1 I could ride from home while doing anything interesting with the vtt means putting a bike carrier on a car
2 after last time I felt that the shorter cranks would be kinder on my new knee joint
3 I wanted to test my new tyres
4 I felt like it

I took a fleece thinking the weather was going to warm up. Fat chance! Even a bit foggy in some places. I kept the fleece on for 2 very gratifying hours. I might have done 30kms in a loop out from home but no counter on the bike - certainly no more but at least 25. No traffic and lots of cyclos who pretty much all replied to my hello. One organised outing with cars and flashing lights front and behind the peloton - not my thing at all, all to their own! But even they said "bonjour". Second breakfast when I got home! So casual I didn't even bother with cycling kit, just bermudas and t-shirt.  First ride on the road since I don't know when last year (when i tested the tourer build-up probably). I really ought to be doing this lots every week!
Oh and the new tyres were not bad at all, quick and reasonably comfy, think we'll keep them!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #21842 on: 08 May, 2018, 12:50:46 pm »
she got a several medals and wee cups from the Strava machine.

I didn't think the UCI had jurisdiction to run doping controls on amateur rides. ;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21843 on: 08 May, 2018, 01:02:38 pm »
I decided on Sunday to do a truncated version of the DIY200 I did recently, lopping off the loop to the north, which includes the last and biggest hill (there are only three in total and they're far from alps!), giving more time for touristy stuff. I'd leave nice and early for that reason. But I didn't leave till ten because of reasons or maybe they weren't even reasons.

Normally my first stop in this direction is at Highworth but on Sunday I fancied a slice of cake at Malmesbury. Tasty as ever at the Summer Cafe but also slow as ever. No hurry though so no matter. And I'd have something more solid at Coleshill, just after Highworth, which always looks attractive. So I turned off the eponymous hill about halfway up, following the signs for the cafe and shop, only to find it closed. A man working on a building next door said it had been closed all day and suggested the pub at the top of the hill. The Radnor Arms, never been in there but it always looks attractive and the sign mentions Otter beers.  :thumbsup: Up the hill, there it is, look the sign says food all day, and... oh, it's closed. On a Bank Holiday Sunday afternoon. Perhaps they've got something better to do, like ride bikes? Never mind, I'll go back down the hill and take a quick look at the church. Which turned out to be locked. So go back up the hill and this time there's a man standing outside the pub talking into a phone while a woman wanders round with a small dog. Turns out they've booked a table... So that's Coleshill. Pretty but closed.

I headed off to Lechlade as that was my intention anyway, and just after joining the main road I saw a pub, The Trout, which clearly did food. I leant my bike against an old horse plough repurposed as garden sculpture (does that make it art?  ;) ::-) :hand:), turned around and scraped the skin off my right knee against a bench. Ouch! And this was before I'd got to the bar! In fact getting to the bar took some time as there was a huge queue, and when I did get there – no food at the moment, "The kitchen looks like a bomb's hit it and we need to clear it up first. That's going to take about three hours." So I had a packet of Mini Cheddars and headed into Lechlade itself, where I found first a Londis that had Magnums but nothing savoury and then the Old Swan that had, wonderfully, a kitchen with a cook. It also had a jam session in the back room. You know how sometimes you might go in a pub or cafe and feel a bit self-consciously underdressed in your lycra? Well I reckon this place, a cycling jersey counted as formal. If I'd taken off my shirt and just worn bib shorts I'd have fitted right in with the jammers, in their worn out shorts, grubby vests, floppy hats, only lacking gum boots to feel like a bunch of Kiwi farmhands! It was also the only pub where I've ever seen a motorbike – well, a Yamaha FS50 – parked next to the bar. Unfortunately it wasn't the barman's commuter, it was some sort of "exhibit". The food was very good.

Now the proper touristy bit started. Unfortunately I was several hours later than planned but hey, it's summer and I've got dynamo lights. Through Kelmscott, which managed to stay just the right side of National Trust twee, probably by dint of having inhabitants (and the Manor being closed by the time I was there) on to Langford (curious tabernacle things built into the wall of the church next to the altar) then an impromptu diversion to Eastleach Turville/Eastville Martin to have a look at the "twin" Norman churches and the clapper bridge. And the swan, floating swanlike around the bridge, evidently thinking I had some food for it.

Then it was time to head for home, round Fairford air base, past a curious bridge to nowhere over nothing (course of Severn-Thames Canal), and through Cerney Wick. It was dark now and starting to get cold, especially when anywhere near water; and it's not called Cotswold Water Park on a whim! Noticing those little differences though – cold air in a dip, warmer air in a village, that kind of thing – is one of the attractions of two-wheeled travel. Anyway, there's a bench by the roadside just outside Minety, so I stopped, opened the packet of fig rolls I'd bought in Lechlade and put my arm warmers on. Now my arms were definitely warm but it was no good, my body was suffering wind chill and I had to stop again, take the arms off and be glad I'd brought a jacket "just in case".

Nothing further happened. It stayed dark and I ate a Chinese takeaway in Malmesbury; a good town for a takeaway not because of good food but because you can sit in the butter cross (covered stone structure in the small market square, presumably butter was sold there in medieval markets) to eat it! It's good to have somewhere to sit and a roof... When I got home I looked at the distance on the bike computer; truncated ha! It came in at 202km!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

seraphina

« Reply #21844 on: 08 May, 2018, 09:21:35 pm »
On Sunday Master S and I did the A10 annual awareness ride. Every year a bunch of locals try and cycle between Cambridge and Royston on the A10 cycle way, and every year a new piece has been transformed into lovely smooth traffic free cycle paths, wide enough for a bicycle trailer and someone alongside, too. This year’s improvements were the section through Harston (now lovely wide flat path alongside the road, rather then a paving slab’s width of dodgy path, and the Melbourn section. Sadly no Melbourn-Royston link yet. We tootled along the A10 to the start at the park and ride then tootled back to one of the Melbourn garden centres where Tesco had provided us with free bananas. Very uplifting - new cycle path due to hard work of Good Eggs and free bananas from $EVIL_MEGACORP.

Also blistering sunshine. It must have been hard work for Master S in the trailer as it turned out to be a three cheesy oatcake ride for him.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21845 on: 08 May, 2018, 11:34:04 pm »
Went for an experimental pootle with barakta, who has done approximately bugger all cycling since forever.  It went reasonably well.  Canon Hill Park has turned into a litter bin.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21846 on: 09 May, 2018, 08:03:48 am »
Yesterday: started tired, did a hot windy bumpy 95k without a pause worth the name, it being the 8th May holiday and all the tea-rooms closed. Strong NE wind, had fun going and toiled over hefty hills in forest on the way back.  Was just about knackered at 20k from home but got a refill of wonderfully cold water from a restaurant that was just closing and drank three-quarters of it over the last two hills.

Somewhat stiff and sunburnt this morning - good feeling.

« Reply #21847 on: 12 May, 2018, 04:15:39 pm »
A chat to jogler and then out to Milwich via his favourite grass triangle for a sit in the sun,  return via  'Utch then up Fole Bank to Hollington before the Geronimo descent back to Tean. 38km.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #21848 on: 12 May, 2018, 04:33:10 pm »
48km loop from York to Wetherby, heading out to Thorpe Arch, then up the old railway path to Wetherby. Then headed north up the cycle path alongside the A168 (formerly the northbound carriageway of the A1) and back to York via Cowthorpe, Tockwith, Hutton Wandesley and Angram.

Today seems to be the first day of freedom for greenfly locally. Dirty great swarms of the little beggars! I wound up with my buff pulled up over my mouth and nose to stop them getting in, otherwise I would have swallowed/inhaled* several thousand of them! 🤢
I wouldn't mind if they tasted nice!!

* delete as applicable
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

essexian

« Reply #21849 on: 13 May, 2018, 06:28:11 am »
A chat to jogler and then out to Milwich via his favourite grass triangle for a sit in the sun,  return via  'Utch then up Fole Bank to Hollington before the Geronimo descent back to Tean. 38km.

I also went via Milwich during the outward leg of my ride from Stafford to Foley Meir FC yesterday lunchtime (I was in Milwich at around 1pm) but avoided the climb back up the bank on the way back by going along the main road from the double roundabouts at Meir Heath down to Stone and back along Route 5.

Things to note.... the "Beast of Milwich" was nowhere to be seen: thankfully and why it is on a perfectly straight and traffic light road (the one leading to said double roundabouts) do some drivers still refuse to give any space when overtaking? Also, the climb back up from the Meir Roundabout along Sandon Road was not as fearsome as I had thought, although the road surface is TERRIBLE. Talking about terrible, the cycle path from Stone to Stone Hockey Club along side the A34 is now covered in grit from the road and is becoming unusable on a road bike. 

Overall, 38 miles in just under three hours with an average speed touching 12mph on the way out and 14mph on the way back.