Author Topic: Igaro D1 USB Dynamo Power Converter  (Read 12425 times)

Re: Igaro D1 USB Dynamo Power Converter
« Reply #225 on: April 11, 2017, 02:00:28 pm »
Ahhh, that's a good point, I just left the data lines open.   Am I right in thinking that shorting them may trick the garmin into thinking it's being charged rather than being connected to a computer?  I'll check the igaro socket when I get home. 
Eddington: 101 Miles,  131km

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #226 on: April 11, 2017, 02:05:14 pm »
Ok, I had a bit of time on my hands recently and was wanting to tidy up the wiring on my D1.  My Garmin 1000 is only a couple of cms away from the Igaro so the wire to the female USB socket and the shortest of micro USB leads is an order of magnitude too long.  In an attempt to tidy this up I chopped off the USB socket approximately half way between socket and capacitor, I then made a new micro USB lead by soldering the internals of a spare micro USB plug to the wires from the Igaro and used some Sugru to make a new casing/insulation for the plug.
So far so good, looks loads neater and the wire is still long enough to reach to anything I'm likely to charge.

While it works fine when up to speed, the problem I've now got is that intermediate speed performance with my Garmin 1000 is problematic; charge is not stable either on or off, it now fluctuates quickly  on/off/on/off.   What have I done? have I unwittingly reduced the capacitance of the system slightly?   I've still got the stock capacitor in the loop, I didn't touch that, but did the socket and extra cable add any extra capacitance that I've now removed??

What have you done with the data lines on the micro-USB plug?  Is it the same as what the Igaro's USB socket does with the data lines?  This is how dumb chargers are identified, and I expect it may affect the Garmin's behaviour.

I think you are seeing the same behaviour Andrew and myself pointed to a week ago, I haven't chopped or rewired my USB, but I seem to recall before the recent V4 garmin updates, the Edge 1000 would just beep once and say, external power lost. and then at an appropriate time & speed would beep again and say, external power back on.  Behaviour now appears to be beep beep beep beep.... as it flicks between power there, power not there. 

So for me, this is either someway has changed on the Garmin about how they deal with the power being present or, something has failed on the D1 (capacitor?)

I'm erring on the Garmin induced version as it seemed to work OK before, and I noticed Andrew's Garmin doing the chirpy chirpy song when we slowed down on The Shark's hills so.  With the Luxus U, this is managed by there being a small battery in the lamp which fills in for a short period of time the power dropping from speed reduction.   Present work around suggested is to use a power bank, preferably one with pass-through charging.

igarocom have stated they are looking at a potential solution using large capacitors to provide a reservoir like option to fill in the gaps...

Regards,

Jason

« Reply #227 on: April 11, 2017, 02:13:23 pm »
Also, that is a very good point.  I'd been off the bike for a few weeks and during that time 2 things have changed,  1) me chopping the USB socket off and 2) updated garmin firmware. 
I'd assumed that is was 1 that caused the issue but sounds like it may well be 2 if others are getting this without hacking their igaro. 
If so, that's a relief at least as far as my molishing skills are concerned.

« Reply #228 on: April 11, 2017, 02:53:17 pm »

Present work around suggested is to use a power bank, preferably one with pass-through charging.

Cheers for all your info. 
 I have got a zendure a2, so looks like this is gonna be pressed into service. 

Ta

« Reply #229 on: April 11, 2017, 06:45:51 pm »
Ahhh, that's a good point, I just left the data lines open.   Am I right in thinking that shorting them may trick the garmin into thinking it's being charged rather than being connected to a computer?  I'll check the igaro socket when I get home.

They are shorted at the USB end of the D1. If the cable going from that to your unit has the data cut it would undo it.

« Reply #230 on: April 11, 2017, 07:01:42 pm »
It sounds like Garmin are changing the firmware to poll more frequently, which is a problem at lesser speed as the dynamo AC frequency is so low. This condition was the reason for introduction of the stability bank accessory as a few phones and power banks do the same. Likely adding it will help at very low speed (other users have confirmed it makes no difference when speed increases).

The capacitor fitted to d101-103 models is overrated and the highest quality available (Nichilon Japanese, 10X working life), but it's capacity is limited and is in some cases not enough to smooth the low transients. Unfortunately size has a trade off.

Super capacitor accessory for the output side is under way, but 375mA (typical Garmin current) over a few minutes is a tall order even for the capacity we're thinking off (super capacitors are current limited which may put an end to the idea). Hopefully if 30 seconds is achievable that will be enough.

A few have asked by PM to help out, it may work better if we pay the postage to borrow a unit and return it with an accessory once we've worked out the appropriate size of the super capacitors required.

I'll stick an update on here once they arrive.

Edit: the math says 90 seconds of run time for a Garmin 810 for the super capacitor capacity we've ordered (that's at zero velocity).

« Reply #231 on: April 19, 2017, 12:06:32 pm »
Latest update:  I’ve re wired my micro USB plug to short the data pins and it doesn’t seem to have made any difference – my Garmin 1000 still plays the fluctuating charge ‘chirpy song’ unless I’m either stationary or riding fast.
I’ve tried to cure this by putting a buffer battery with pass through between the Igaro and the Garmin.  The battery I’ve used is the Zendure A1.  Still no good though, the Garmin still chirps until I get to speeds of 30kph+  .  The only difference now is that I get charge from the buffer while stationary.   
The igaro/Zendure buffer combo charges other stuff fine at all speeds e.g. phone (sony xperia Z3 compact) and my spare front light (cateye volt 300), it’s just the Garmin it struggles with.  What’s going on???  surely the buffer would smooth the charge delivered to the Garmin?

« Reply #232 on: April 19, 2017, 01:05:57 pm »
Edit: the math says 90 seconds of run time for a Garmin 810 for the super capacitor capacity we've ordered (that's at zero velocity).

If my understanding is correct, the super capacitor would kick in when the speed drops below the charging speed (which for me is circa 9.5kph), keeping the charging going for at least 90 seconds, but probably longer as there may still be some charging from the dynamo at the lower speed. By my quick calculations that would provide silence for 150 - 250 metres of climbing, which is probably good enough. Most longer climbs that I am likely to be doing would not be steep enough to reduce my speed to below the charging point, and I could survive the occasional climb with the bleeping ... it's just annoying when it occurs with every climb on a hilly ride.

Still no good though, the Garmin still chirps until I get to speeds of 30kph+  . 

I'm using a Garmin 820, which starts charging again as soon as I get back up to 9.5kph. Could it be the buffer battery that you are using that means that the battery takes the charge at the lower speeds, and only passes the charge through to the Garmin at the much higher speed, at least until the battery is charged again?

« Reply #233 on: April 19, 2017, 05:36:11 pm »
Latest update:  I’ve re wired my micro USB plug to short the data pins and it doesn’t seem to have made any difference – my Garmin 1000 still plays the fluctuating charge ‘chirpy song’ unless I’m either stationary or riding fast.
I’ve tried to cure this by putting a buffer battery with pass through between the Igaro and the Garmin.  The battery I’ve used is the Zendure A1.  Still no good though, the Garmin still chirps until I get to speeds of 30kph+  .  The only difference now is that I get charge from the buffer while stationary.   
The igaro/Zendure buffer combo charges other stuff fine at all speeds e.g. phone (sony xperia Z3 compact) and my spare front light (cateye volt 300), it’s just the Garmin it struggles with.  What’s going on???  surely the buffer would smooth the charge delivered to the Garmin?

The Z3 is one of the most difficult of devices to charge (needs the d1acc01 stability bank, or power bank). With either of those your Garmin should be fine, I wonder if the port on the Garmin is damaged?

« Reply #234 on: April 19, 2017, 08:56:08 pm »
The garmin port seems OK in every other way.   It's very happy just running off the zendure battery. 

« Reply #235 on: April 19, 2017, 11:00:07 pm »
Strange indeed. Probably best to eliminate the D1 at this point by sending it in for testing (and replacement if necessary). I can't explain why the other devices are charging though. Do they actually charge in terms of a % indicator or just a power LED which could be giving a false indcation? Clutching at straws but perhaps the D1 regulator is only giving residual current. It would be the first time it's occurred if so, but with electronics anything is possible!

If it performs to spec this end we can add an accessory port and try with a d1acc01 stability bank and see if that helps? I'll PM you.