Author Topic: I'm so excited  (Read 6401 times)

I'm so excited
« on: 27 January, 2017, 03:28:19 pm »
No, not just because it is Friday. I've had a delivery.

It is a titanium Sabbath September frame and loads of bits. This will become my new audax / long distance / many adventures bike.

It is to replace my Thorm Audax 853, which is about 13 years old and still ok but I am not keen on.

Saddle, bars and drivetrain will be transplanted. The front dynamo wheel will be reused, but not the back as it has an MTB hub (new back wheel delivered in that lot as well). So I now have a frame and a pair of handbuilt wheels (and some other bits) that I am not sure what to do with.

I'll post some pictures once the build has started.

Re: I'm so excited
« Reply #1 on: 27 January, 2017, 03:35:25 pm »
 :thumbsup:

I has the disc flavoured version, its lovely.

« Reply #2 on: 28 January, 2017, 03:33:37 pm »
It is to replace my Thorm Audax 853, which is about 13 years old and still ok but I am not keen on.

It's amazing how a new bike can make you feel like you go faster  :)

« Reply #3 on: 29 January, 2017, 10:20:10 am »
Ahh, I have some sympathy for your poor Thorn, thirteen years and you can't get it's name right, left out in the garage while the new frame is allowed on the carpet in the warm.  They're never going to be friends are they ;)
Nice looking frame BTW.

« Reply #4 on: 29 January, 2017, 10:49:23 am »
Ooops, hadn't noticed the spelling mistake.

Strip down is now complete and the Thorn is reduced to a rolling chassis. Bit sad really. All the bits now need a really good clean and then the build will begin. Still excited.

I think I am going to try to sell the frame and wheels, and the bits still on it. It's too good for a turbo bike.

« Reply #5 on: 29 January, 2017, 08:55:11 pm »
The Thorn has been stripped, the parts cleaned and now we are starting to build the new bike up. I didn't like cutting the steerer tube down. Pay out a lot of money then take a hacksaw to it. Still, worked out ok.

Headset and bottom bracket (both new) fitted. Probably too many spacers under the stem but that can be adjusted later. Chainset fitted and both wheels. It was the Devil's own job to get the tyres on the Exall rims, really struggled. It's starting to look like a bike now. Realised that I had forgotten to order a cable guide (goes underneath the bottom bracket shell) and a pair of downtube cable stops. I have found a guide need to sort the stops out tomorrow.

I just need to dig out the details of the Thorn frame and make a list of the parts that are left on there, including the nice handmade wheels. Once that is done I can put it into the For Sale section.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 30 January, 2017, 08:40:51 am »
Coming on nicely.  :thumbsup: Surprised about your trouble with the Exal rims, I'd heard (or thought I'd heard – I've never used them) that they were one of the easier rims to get tyres on.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 30 January, 2017, 10:18:52 am »
I have found Exal rims to be hard work. It seems that most manufacturers are being overly conservative with rim dimensions, which is somewhat safer for riders but quite frustrating when stopped at the roadside.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #8 on: 04 February, 2017, 07:57:15 pm »
And so, here it is. And a thing of beauty it is too. Took it out for a 50 mile ride today and it was lovely to ride. Different to the Thorn but I expected that. Couple of jobs to do, mudguard rubbing a little and chain skipping. Nothing too much.

Looking forward to many long rides on it.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 04 February, 2017, 09:55:18 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Now we need to see a pic of the poor old donor frame, resting on a bed of feathers, remembering times past, quietly weeping.
It is simpler than it looks.