Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL bike evolution.  (Read 17890 times)

Re: LEL bike evolution.
« Reply #50 on: 21 February, 2017, 07:52:08 pm »
It is possible to tick all the right boxes by putting 700c wheels in a 1980s frame built for 27 inch wheels, and putting big tyres on. That approach sells little other than a specific type of Tektro long reach twin pivot caliper, and Vittoria Voyager Ultras, so you'll not see that advocated in any commercial magazines.

"Bicycle Quarterly" is hardly a commercial magazine, but the publisher's "Compass" tire/tyre offerings provide many choices in widths (to fit under fenders/mudguards) and are "supple", to further comfort.  Worth looking into.  I believe they have UK distribution.  Not the least expensive, but good at dampening vibration; using lower pressure seems to help them roll over pointing things that would like to penetrate and deflate.

« Reply #51 on: 21 February, 2017, 07:54:13 pm »

Wide rims, Compass Bon Jon 35s... mudguards... hydraulic discs

« Reply #52 on: 21 February, 2017, 09:33:46 pm »
Rack mounts as well. That configuration would have been a pipe-dream a few years ago.

« Reply #53 on: 21 February, 2017, 10:23:20 pm »
If anything, their new gravel grinder is even more astonishing. Alu frame, carbon forks, BB7s, wide rims, 38mm tyres, rack and mudguard mounts... for less than a grand. I only went for the carbon because I had bits in the shed. For something like Dean's on/off road audax, this would be immense. It comes with 32 spoke wheels - you'd not feel bad about ragging it.

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #54 on: 21 February, 2017, 11:17:39 pm »
Another one from the Planet X stable.  Just waiting for the build to be completed by my LBS.  Viner Strada Bianca carbon frame with Sram Rival hydraulics groupset, DT Swiss custom wheel build with Shutter Precision PD-8X dynamo.

« Reply #55 on: 21 February, 2017, 11:20:16 pm »
You can add the Planet X London Road to the list. The frameset is frequently on sale for £150 and gets you every mount imaginable, disc brakes and clearance for at least 38mm tyres.  I've used mine as a cyclocross bike, touring bike, stripped-down fast road bike. It currently has flat bars and makes a reasonable impression of a mountain bike.

« Reply #56 on: 22 February, 2017, 05:34:39 pm »
If anything, their new gravel grinder is even more astonishing. Alu frame, carbon forks, BB7s, wide rims, 38mm tyres, rack and mudguard mounts... for less than a grand. I only went for the carbon because I had bits in the shed. For something like Dean's on/off road audax, this would be immense. It comes with 32 spoke wheels - you'd not feel bad about ragging it.

with a 34/32 bottom gear, it has really decent gear ratios as well. That's decent.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #57 on: 22 February, 2017, 05:55:22 pm »
Perhaps it's just me, but I found riding very long distance on carbon more exhausting somehow than high quality steel.  I sold my carbon bike in favour of a pristine triple butted Miyata 1000 that works better for me at least for long days in the saddle. Don't know why, maybe it's the "planing" or slight spring in the frame, or the way it absorbs shock, I really don't know why, but it's real.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #58 on: 01 March, 2017, 02:25:15 pm »
Perhaps it's just me, but I found riding very long distance on carbon more exhausting somehow than high quality steel.  I sold my carbon bike in favour of a pristine triple butted Miyata 1000 that works better for me at least for long days in the saddle. Don't know why, maybe it's the "planing" or slight spring in the frame, or the way it absorbs shock, I really don't know why, but it's real.

maybe your Miyata 1000 was just a better distance bike than the carbon bike it replaced

I'm not sure how to access the importance of frame material for comfort in a bike build.  You kind of have to compare like with like but different frame materials are going to suggest different designs

My Ti bike was better than my steel bike - but I would guess that is partly due to it having better geometry

The Specialized Roubaix carbon bike was of similar "goodness" to the Ti bike it replaced (faster though) but it was better with large lumps,and worse with hi frequency noise (poor surface dressing for example).

I've been using a Genesis Datum this year and that is different again.  I have a massive "datum vs roubaix" review on the blog https://audaxing.wordpress.com/2016/07/31/gravel-vs-cobbles-two-bikes-for-long-distance/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #59 on: 01 March, 2017, 02:36:13 pm »
Gravel vs Cobbles is a neat way to think of it.  :thumbsup: At least, it's a catchy title: I'll read the post now!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #60 on: 01 March, 2017, 02:50:32 pm »

I've been using a Genesis Datum this year and that is different again.  I have a massive "datum vs roubaix" review on the blog https://audaxing.wordpress.com/2016/07/31/gravel-vs-cobbles-two-bikes-for-long-distance/

'Hill in the Lake District' is Dunmail Raise, with Grasmere in the background, taken by someone who's parked in the layby with the AA box in it.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.4888895,-3.0348709,3a,42.8y,163.93h,85.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sftHX94CxLayz_Jh5FHYRag!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Moving the bike forward with your legs is only part of Audax, a lot of it is in the head. If you're getting round long rides on a bike you got off Ebay for a couple of hundred quid, then that's a bonus.

« Reply #61 on: 06 March, 2017, 07:07:09 pm »
Here's a bike that would be good for LEL. The Colnago that Franco Ballerini won Paris Roubaix 1998 on. It's as it was when it crossed the line, is that a Brooks Professional on it? I'd have to change the gearing though.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #62 on: 06 March, 2017, 07:41:46 pm »
San Marco Regal saddle.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #63 on: 06 March, 2017, 07:52:59 pm »
Planet X have some in Olive for £30. almost worth it just for the confusion factor.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SASMVREG/san-marco-regal-saddle

« Reply #64 on: 07 March, 2017, 12:20:26 pm »
Here's a bike that would be good for LEL. The Colnago that Franco Ballerini won Paris Roubaix 1998 on. It's as it was when it crossed the line, is that a Brooks Professional on it? I'd have to change the gearing though.

I assume it's also on tubs ? Not the ideal rando tyre !

Phil W

« Reply #65 on: 07 March, 2017, 03:32:15 pm »

I assume it's also on tubs ? Not the ideal rando tyre !

Not good for your back either unless your conditioned like a pro, the gearing looks limited with that rear derailleur, and I wonder if it can take mudguards?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #66 on: 07 March, 2017, 03:53:14 pm »
Here's a bike that would be good for LEL.
<...>
I'd have to change the gearing though.

frame, wheels and the rest of components would benefit from a change too ;). paintwork is quite nice though

« Reply #67 on: 07 March, 2017, 04:34:31 pm »
I'm speaking from the standpoint of someone over 6'4" tall of course, so the 180mm cranks are a nice feature, as is the custom built frame with longer chain stays and bigger clearances to accommodate 27mm tyres without clogging with mud.

It always surprises me that a maximum capacity of a 39/53 chainset and an 11 to 26 cassette is seen as inadequate when plenty have ridden LEL on fixed. The comfortable saddle and handlebars with padding underneath the tape are nice features for a long ride.

Tubs and sprints are always going to be more comfortable, at the expense of convenience, but they aren't staggeringly expensive, about £40. http://www.highonbikes.com/vittoria-pave-cg-road-bike-tubular-tyre.html?gclid=CPH9lsnoxNICFUGeGwodjsUG_g

The bike is probably quite heavy by most standards, but it won't let you down if you hit a pothole. The quill stem will also allow a change in position.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2731093/BikeExcerptpp108-109ColnagoC40.pdf

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #68 on: 08 March, 2017, 12:44:50 pm »

'Hill in the Lake District' is Dunmail Raise, with Grasmere in the background, taken by someone who's parked in the layby with the AA box in it.

Ahem  *polite cough*

« Reply #69 on: 08 March, 2017, 05:47:39 pm »
Nice to see someone carrying on Tim Wainwright's fine work Bill. Those crash barrier hawsers are always going to be a bit of an eyesore, but I like the way you accented them with the Digitalis.

« Reply #70 on: 09 March, 2017, 08:23:36 pm »
I'll be riding this steel boy! with a couple of component changes!

« Reply #71 on: 21 March, 2017, 01:31:25 am »
I think it's about time this thread had a bike spec list, so what you riding for LEL? I know a picture speaks a thousand words, but words are a great time consuming displacement activity from the mountain of proper work that needs to be done....

Bike
Frame: Byer Cycles Aravis Audax, Reynolds 631, 51 cm C to C
Fork: Unbranded carbon (Tifossi?), alloy stearer and drop-outs
Headset: Cane Creek S2
Crankset: Shimano Ultegra 6700 triple 52/39/30 165mm
Rear Derailleur: Ultegra 6600
Front Derailleur: Ultegra 6600
Shifters: Shimano 105 5600
Brakes: Shimano BR A550
Stem: PRO PLT Alloy 90 mm
Bar: PRO PLT Alloy 400 mm
Bar Tape: Cinelli Gel Cork
Seatpost: PRO PLT Alloy zero setback
Saddle: Fabric Line Elite 142 mm
Front Hub: Shimano DH-3N71
Front Rim: Mavic Open Pro 32H
Front Spokes: DT Swiss butted
Front Tyre: Continental GP 4 Seasons 25mm
Rear Hub: Shimano 105 5600
Rear Rim: Mavic Open Pro 32H
Rear Spokes: DT Swiss butted
Rear Tyre: Continental GP 4 Seasons 25mm
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 6700 12-30
Chain: Wipperman Connex 10SX
Pedals: Shimano A520

Accessories
Bottle Cages: Specialized G6
Bottles: Specialized Purist Mo-Flo
Mudguards: SKS Chromoplastic
Pump: GT Attack
Valve Cap Colour: None!!!

Lights
Front: B&M Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U
Rear: Smart Superflash and Moon Comet

Luggage
Rear: Apidura Saddle Pack Compact
Front: Topeak Fuel Tank Medium

Planned upgrades? If I win the lottery - Whyte Wessex or Fairlight Strael. If I don't - new chain and brake blocks.

« Reply #72 on: 21 March, 2017, 08:53:27 am »

Getting closer to how I want it. Twin enduro pods coming from Alpkit in custom colour to match the framebag. Going to experiment with aerobars next.

« Reply #73 on: 21 March, 2017, 12:34:31 pm »
Bike
Frame: Genesis Croix De Fer, KVA MS3 Stainless, 56 cm
Fork: Genesis, alloy stearer and drop-outs
Headset: Hope
Crankset: Shimano 105 5800 Compact 172.5mm
Rear Derailleur: 105 5800
Front Derailleur: 105 5800
Shifters: Shimano 105 5800
Brakes: TRP HY/RD
Stem: Deda Zero 1 110mm
Bar: Deda RHM01 Alloy 460 mm
Bar Tape: Fizik Performance
Seatpost: Deda Zero 1
Saddle: Brooks B17 Special
Front Hub: Novatec Disc
Front Rim: Pacenti SL25 32H
Front Spokes: Sapim Race
Front Tyre: Compass Bon Jon Pass 35mm (Yet to be added)
Rear Hub: Novatec Disc
Rear Rim: Pacenti SL25 32H
Rear Spokes: Non Drive - Sapim Race/Drive - Sapim Force
Rear Tyre: Compass Bon Jon Pass 35mm
Cassette: Shimano 105 5800 11 - 32
Chain: Shimano 105 5800
Pedals: Look S-Track

Accessories
Bottle Cages: Elite Ciussi Inox
Bottles: Camelback Big Chill
Mudguards: Gilles Berthoud Stainless
Pump: Lezyne Road Drive
Valve Cap Colour: TBC

Lights + Navigation
Front: Hope Vision 1 x2 (Dynamo under consideration)
Rear: Smart something a rather
Navigation: Garmin GPSMap 62s

Luggage
Rear: Carradice Super C Audax
Front: Carradice Super C

edit: Unless I decide that riding 1,400 km on a fixed gear bike appeals which is very very unlikely at this stage.

« Reply #74 on: 21 March, 2017, 09:55:47 pm »
For me there's no such thing as LEL bike evolution. I'll start LEL 2017 on the same bike as I used for LEL 1997, 2001, 2005 and 2009, the same bike transporting my camera and myself during the past LEL.

It's a 1997 Bioracer Stage made from Columbus Brain tubing. The current setup is a 10-Speed Campa drivetrain with bar end shifters, SON lighting, Brooks B17 saddle and full mudguards.