Author Topic: Sounds of the Sixties . . . what are they thinking of?  (Read 4241 times)

Re: Sounds of the Sixties . . . what are they thinking of?
« Reply #25 on: 02 March, 2017, 03:01:18 pm »
There was always the Open University. Worthy films about the development of Britain's transport infrastructure in the 19th Century. BBC4 with lower production values.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 02 March, 2017, 06:23:29 pm »
There was always the Open University. Worthy films about the development of Britain's transport infrastructure in the 19th Century. BBC4 with lower production values.

Open University chemistry programmes were my absolute favourite telly when I was about 5.  Not only did you have tweedy scientists doing exciting things with balloons[1], but they had the magic blackboard where important-looking equations appeared to explain what was going on.  I can't imagine I had a clue about the SCIENCE, but I found the idea that if I watched enough of them I'd eventually understand *everything* immensely compelling.

The complete opposite of Chris Tarrant.

[1] I was used to phenol-scented scientists doing boring things with petri dishes.

« Reply #27 on: 02 March, 2017, 09:55:06 pm »
The Open University examined humour about the OU in this clip at 4.32. Of course Tiswas did a bit of that with Lenny Henry's David Bellamy mimicry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxYyOKurC94

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #28 on: 04 March, 2017, 07:50:05 am »
Aaargh! - it's even worse than I though it could possibly be.   Switched on at 0705 and stuck it out until 0735 before (metaphorically) throwing the radio out of the window.  Endless drivel and dreadful attempts at "jokes"

"Just awful, awful, awful. Sad."      - as Trump might tweet.

.... and he said Arnold the bloody dog was going to appear.

Rob

Edit : Just looked at the playlist and as I predicted up thread the first track was The Move's "Flowers in the Rain"