Author Topic: Fountain pen red ink  (Read 4492 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Fountain pen red ink
« Reply #25 on: 11 March, 2017, 09:09:48 am »
Sheaffer Skrip red ink is unusual.  It's not the most intense red ink there is - in fact, it can look quite watery, especially if you use a thin nib - but the shading effect is quite good and it is about the only red ink that doesn't clog pens.  In fact, some people use it in an old clogged-up pen just to help clean out the last of the crud.  Apart from the colour, it's quite similar in properties to Skrip black which is what I use every day - no clogs, despite the pen only being flushed properly once or twice a year.  The Skrip blue is a horrid greyish colour, though - you need to look elsewhere if you like blue ink.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #26 on: 12 March, 2017, 08:02:59 am »
My sweeping statement is that diamine inks are lovely, but not in the slightest waterproof. Syrah a current favourite. My marking is made with Herbin Hematite Rouge. Lovely colour, but best not left in the pen for a long time.
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'être un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

« Reply #27 on: 12 March, 2017, 08:43:18 am »
Get a converter that lets you use bottled ink (very cheap and easy to get hold of for Parkers) then choose any one of Diamines selection of reds:

Choose your shade of red:

http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/listings.aspx?catid=14

Wow!

Thanks for that link.  When I bought my current FP a few years ago, the  pen shop only had a limited range of Waterman inks, so I settled on a fetching purple.

But I feel the need for a change - those greens look rather enticing ...

« Reply #28 on: 15 March, 2017, 10:40:28 pm »
Being a bit of a fountain pen tart, I keep meaning to buy some of the Diamine oxblood as I think it's almost a compulsory right of passage to be able to post on some of the online pen forums. I use Mont Blanc black 90% of the time or Quink blue.

I've never had any problem with either in any of my pens. Even if they've been left for a long period.

As TPMB has said, my favourite pen is also a £20 Lamy, which I find gives a similar line to a Pilot V5 rollerball but is nicer to use. I've also got amongst others, a 70's Scheaffer (from my school days) and a couple of 1938 Parker Vacumatics which belonged to my grand mother.

The Lamy uses a converter, it's one of the screw up types and works really well.