Author Topic: audaxing vegan  (Read 16832 times)

Re: audaxing vegan
« Reply #75 on: 26 September, 2017, 05:17:43 pm »
Thanks for mentioning SMP though.  They always used to be leather covered, so I've always avoided them.   Just googled after your comment and it looks like they are now synthetic :)

I read recently that whlst the coloured SMP were now covered with a synthetic material, the black ones were still leather-covered.  I did go to the trouble of trying a couple of their models in the hope of finding something lighter, more modern looking, and even more comfortable than the Brooks Swift.  No luck, none of them were bearable beyond a couple of hours.  Bottom line [pun fully intended] is that were it not for Brooks leather saddles I simply would not be an audax rider.

« Reply #76 on: 27 September, 2017, 04:59:42 pm »
I've never starved at an audax event but it's very much a case at controls or shops that I know I can get SOMETHING, but I have no idea what that will be until I get there.

Some controls are great, there is soya milk, normally bananas and the flapjacks might be good to go.

Others may not have as much available. I've got more confident in letting an organiser know so that they can facilitate, after all, I am contributing to the food fund!

In the big bad world, I generally know whats available...Coke, Lucozade, paprika crisps, dark chocolate, oreos, the odd falafal wrap, hummus and pitta bread, Mcdonalds Veggie burgers (no mayo) and chips/beans on toast at a cafe.

It can be tough at times, but I can hand on heart say that being ridiculed by the 'old school' is probably more difficult to contend with than not having cows milk in my tea at the start. 

whosatthewheel

« Reply #77 on: 27 September, 2017, 05:29:15 pm »
Thanks for mentioning SMP though.  They always used to be leather covered, so I've always avoided them.   Just googled after your comment and it looks like they are now synthetic :)

I read recently that whlst the coloured SMP were now covered with a synthetic material, the black ones were still leather-covered.  I did go to the trouble of trying a couple of their models in the hope of finding something lighter, more modern looking, and even more comfortable than the Brooks Swift.  No luck, none of them were bearable beyond a couple of hours.  Bottom line [pun fully intended] is that were it not for Brooks leather saddles I simply would not be an audax rider.

Same here, I'd love something that weighs less than a pound, but > 200 km it's the only saddle that works

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #78 on: 27 September, 2017, 05:31:46 pm »
I have no axe to grind on diet, but if you choose to exclude some major food groups that we are evolved to eat, there will be problems.

I'm not sure I would view evolution like that, we evolved to eat whatever was available in the immediate area, at certain times of year that would have amounted to very little.  In evolutionary terms agriculture is a bit of a new fangled idea and for most of out history we were hunter gatherers and had to live off whatever could be found in walking distance.  I'm not sure that it would be possible to be vegan/ vegetarian in many parts of the world under such circumstances.  Happily we have now progressed to the point that you can get almost any food stuff at any time of year.  Unhappily overconsumption is now one of the greatest threats to health.

This is exactly correct and it is in fact the usual western diet, consumed in excess, that is creating problems not just for the individual in terms of their health, but also for society and the planet. Veganism is not just of benefit to the individual but is also more efficient in terms of food production and has a lower enviromental impact.

When one hears codswallop intimating you`ll be ill if you don`t eat meat you really do have to roll your eyes ::-)

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #79 on: 27 September, 2017, 08:44:54 pm »
Biggest problem for a vegan randonneur is where to source a decent saddle
Brooks Cambium 

It it all of comfy hard wearing and non-short destroying? I've fondled many a Brooks Cambium in a shop it looks very uncomfortable, a bit flaky and very abrasive although I am open to persausion otherwise as I can't find any other vegan saddles that suit after a 10 year search  ::-)

« Reply #80 on: 27 September, 2017, 10:11:13 pm »
Popped into Spoons this morning for breakfast prior to a meeting and went for standard breakfast. Disappointed and wished Ihad gone for my normal order.  However,I noticed vegetarian cooked breakfast was by far the better value option for the same price. In Spoons, I will be vegatarian!

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #81 on: 27 September, 2017, 10:36:04 pm »
It it all of comfy hard wearing and non-short destroying? I've fondled many a Brooks Cambium in a shop it looks very uncomfortable, a bit flaky and very abrasive although I am open to persausion otherwise as I can't find any other vegan saddles that suit after a 10 year search  ::-)

Somebody around here (fboab?) recommended sanding the edges before use. I did this and have had no problems. My C15 carved is ace - only tested up to 200 miles I spose. C15 seems firmer, but that bike is more upright so not a fair comparison. New waterproof version probably less prone to sudocrem marks...  :(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #82 on: 27 September, 2017, 11:20:25 pm »
I think HK rides a Cambium.
Cambium did not suit my partner.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #83 on: 27 September, 2017, 11:56:17 pm »
HK has a couple of purchased Cambiums and one of the beta-test ones. The recent ones aren't as harsh a surface as the beta-test and a scrub with a nail brush has stopped premature abrasion of threads on her more delicate knicks. She hasn't needed to sand the edges of the newer Cambiums.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #84 on: 28 September, 2017, 07:52:29 am »
I've got 4 cambiums on various bikes (3x c15 & 1x c15 carved) and been riding them for about 2 years now.   Never had any extra noticeable wear on my shorts and not sanded or filed the saddle.
Saddles are a very personal thing and, while Cambiums aren't perfect - (I've modified mine to improve comfort further) , they are the closest to to saddle nirvana I've found so far.
The carved version is quite soft. The cut out doesn't seem to do much to relieve pressure but it does allow more flex - too much flex for me. I find that it's so hammock like that there's only one sitting position on (in?) it & I like to move about on the saddle a bit.
Out of the box I found the standard c15 to be the other extreme, it's a bit hard and starts to get uncomfortable at about 300kms or so.  I've added a bit more flex to mine by taking it apart and drilling out the rear rivet holes in the rubber top from 6mm to 10mm.  This allows about 2mm of movement in the rivets and a bit more sag but nowhere near as much as the carved version.  Completely voids the warranty of course, but more comfy for me.
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #85 on: 28 September, 2017, 11:45:35 am »
Great read.

I'm lactose intollorant and used to fuel with snickers and the like, being unable to eat chocolate has not me pretty hard. Mostly because it has always been something I could stuff down my gob and enjoy. My replacement foods (nuts, peanut butter and 9 bars) are far less easy to scoff. Recently bonked 100k into an imperial century because I didn't eat it was too late.

Seems that the wisdom is to eat more normally.

« Reply #86 on: 28 September, 2017, 12:55:23 pm »
I did a fair amount of cooking for vegetarians and vegans on conservation volunteer tasks in the early 1980s. Most of the food was pulses and grains, so it was never a problem. The occasional tin of corned beef was employed, so the vegetarians and vegans weren't inclined to get involved in the cooking, beyond the preparation.

I suppose that's one reason why I've never really encountered any vegan cooks on the various events I've helped cater on. I was in my early 20s, when I was catering for environmentalists, and lots of them had dietary preferences.

Now that I'm I'm almost 60, I don't meet many vegans of my age, although I mix with much the same people. So the volunteers helping out on Audaxes tend not to be vegans. Vegans tend to be riders.

Since the 1980s, allergies and intolerances have become more widespread. If I was catering today I'd make the same pulses and rice based dish for all those with dietary preferences, from vegans to Muslims. I could then try to make that the best lentil gloop possible. It's likely that 90% of the field would have no special dietary needs.

Perhaps the best solution would be for vegans to organise their own ride, so we could all experience the joys of cruelty-free catering. I tend to bounce controls, and subsist on pasties and Coke, so such a scheme would be fine by me, as vegan ingredients are cheap, so I wouldn't be wasting money.

« Reply #87 on: 28 September, 2017, 02:55:58 pm »
Perhaps the best solution would be for vegans to organise their own ride, so we could all experience the joys of cruelty-free catering. I tend to bounce controls, and subsist on pasties and Coke, so such a scheme would be fine by me, as vegan ingredients are cheap, so I wouldn't be wasting money.

You've clearly never had the pleasure of inviting non vegans to a vegan event. I've known of family members to boycott weddings because the bride and groom put on a vegan spread, people turn there noses up instantly if you dare offer them a 'vegan' cookie or a veggie burger.

By your own admission, if such an event was put on, you would bounce the controls and not 'experience the joy of cruelty-free catering'

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #88 on: 28 September, 2017, 03:30:57 pm »
Look at the Vegan Welsh 3000s for an example of an ultramarathon with loads of great vegan food (before, during and after the run). http://www.vegan-welsh-3000s.co.uk/

In general I've found ultrarunning events do a better job of catering for vegans than audaxes do. One reason why I haven't bothered to do many audaxes recently.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #89 on: 28 September, 2017, 03:35:57 pm »

« Reply #90 on: 28 September, 2017, 05:22:25 pm »

By your own admission, if such an event was put on, you would bounce the controls and not 'experience the joy of cruelty-free catering'

Were such event to be staged, I wouldn't go. As I don't have a saddle without leather on it, so wouldn't feel comfortable. I do like to observe the traditions of individuals and groups.

It would be lovely if vegans had their own SR series, so as not to have to compromise their beliefs.

« Reply #91 on: 30 September, 2017, 06:54:03 am »

Were such event to be staged, I wouldn't go. As I don't have a saddle without leather on it, so wouldn't feel comfortable. I do like to observe the traditions of individuals and groups.

It would be lovely if vegans had their own SR series, so as not to have to compromise their beliefs.

I would imagine that MOST Vegan cyclists I know have the saddle the bike came with. Which is probably made of synthetic leather, or if it isn't, probably hasn't been replaced due to the difficulties for finding a 'Vegan saddle'. It's certainly one of the thing where you can only do your best.

Not the first post I've seen on here suggesting that:

a)Vegans should do their own event

b)Vegans shouldn't rely on controls to serve Vegan food and 'may' have to eat elsewhere as it's far too restrictive and difficult to serve pasta or beans on toast.

There is a reason that some of us stick on a Vegan jersey and go to mainstream events, as lurking in the shadows with other Vegans isn't going to change the world and certainly isn't going to help us show how easy it is to be Vegan!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #92 on: 30 September, 2017, 08:25:27 am »

Even if the organisers made it clear that you - and your saddle - were welcome?

I might be wrong, but Lee's post suggests that would be the case.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #93 on: 30 September, 2017, 09:42:38 am »

Even if the organisers made it clear that you - and your saddle - were welcome?

I might be wrong, but Lee's post suggests that would be the case.

Unless the saddle is made of alligator skin. Then I would think eyebrows would be raised.

« Reply #94 on: 30 September, 2017, 09:56:38 am »
Surely, if a vegan audax were organised, then non-vegan options should be available, such as meat/dairy, as vegan options are provided on non-vegan audax events.

« Reply #95 on: 30 September, 2017, 10:39:10 am »
Surely, if a vegan audax were organised, then non-vegan options should be available, such as meat/dairy, as vegan options are provided on non-vegan audax events.
No. That is unreasonable and unnecessary. I have to ask if you are trolling, to be honest.

For medical reasons, I have to eat a restricted diet. So meals in my household are gluten free. Everyone else in the house can eat them.

Meat eaters can eat vegan food. Vegans can't eat (by choice) meat food. It is a very unusual and odd meat eater who doesn't eat vegetables, beans, carbs. Someone on a ketosis-diet would struggle, but then they'd struggle on a 'normal' control with servings of pasta + cheese.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #96 on: 30 September, 2017, 10:41:31 am »
This thread is getting increasingly bizarre.

The whole thing is a bit of a non issue to me.  Being a vegan on an Audax is just as easy as being a vegan in everyday life while out and about. 
Eddington: 114 Miles

LMT

« Reply #97 on: 30 September, 2017, 12:35:29 pm »

You either miss the point or don't understand Vegans and Veganism - at all

« Reply #98 on: 30 September, 2017, 01:31:02 pm »
I've provided vegan food on the all events I organised or catered on, partly to make my life easier as it simplifies the food hygiene requirements (we're a vegetarian household, though I'm not), and as an organiser I think it's only right to try and accommodate your riders' needs where possible. Been working our way through the vegan pesto this week leftover from GMC, which isn't that nice and might make my own next year - only had one taker for that.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #99 on: 30 September, 2017, 02:52:27 pm »
Spotting vegans is so easy. Just spend 5 minutes in their company and the subject is bound to come up.

But they can eat bacon rasher snack food - cos it is not real bacon flavor.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.