Author Topic: Shiny bar tape  (Read 1314 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Shiny bar tape
« on: 07 April, 2017, 11:25:50 am »
Is it just me who seeks out this stuff?  I've never been a fan of fat padded handlebars, shiny tape wipes clean and lasts almost for ever, it comes in most colours, and it's shiny.  The world stocks of Benotto tape (which is as Italian as a chilli burrito) seem to be running out, with eBay charlatans charging £30 for the rarer colours, but thankfully it's much of a muchness and there are plenty of no-name options.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Samuel D

Re: Shiny bar tape
« Reply #1 on: 07 April, 2017, 11:41:41 am »
I don’t seek out shiny tape but I certainly prefer thin tape to the fat, spongy stuff that predominates now that people ride positions that throw significant weight onto their hands. However, isn’t shiny tape slippery when wet?

I think I’ll try cotton tape next in the hope that it offers good wet grip.

« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2017, 01:30:53 pm »
Benotto cello tape: stays clean, lasts a very long time, slippery (wear mitts/gloves if that's problem), looks good.
Cotton tape: good grip, feels nice, gets dirty, doesn't long as long, looks good.

Funnily enough, yesterday as I was looking for my spare brake blocks (Super/Nuovo Record), I opened a tool box to see 4 sets of actual "Shiny Tape" made in Taiwan tape, and 3 sets of 3ttt branded cello tape, all white (actually slightly off white but it's called white). It seems white is hard to find now, because it was the most popular colour by far.

I've also got more than 2 boxes of Tressostar white cotton tape (10 rolls in one box I think or maybe it's 20, I can't remember).

All bought very cheap, and enough to see me out.

I would think "Benotto" tape was originally made in Italy, but were later  made in Mexico.

dat

« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2017, 04:12:09 pm »
As a fan of thin bar tape I like fizik's superlight wrapped really tight.

Samuel D

« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2017, 04:40:05 pm »
As a fan of thin bar tape I like fizik's superlight wrapped really tight.

That’s what I’m using now, right down to “wrapped really tight”.

It’s quality stuff, but it gets slippery when wet if you ride without gloves. Maybe I’m more worried about this than I should be …