Author Topic: BB axle length for Suntour Superbe Comp chainset  (Read 1603 times)

BB axle length for Suntour Superbe Comp chainset
« on: 08 April, 2017, 05:03:10 pm »
I have a triple sitting unused which is a JIS square taper and will take standard shimano sized chainrings.   What I don't know is what length bb axle it will need.

Can anybody help please?

Re: BB axle length for Suntour Superbe Comp chainset
« Reply #1 on: 08 April, 2017, 06:40:06 pm »
I have a triple sitting unused which is a JIS square taper and will take standard shimano sized chainrings.   What I don't know is what length bb axle it will need.

Can anybody help please?

Hi PB. I personally have run Stronglight triples on 140mm Thorn Cranks for some 12yrs and most have run with a 113mm axle albeit I have been using 26T & 28T rings as my inner rings of the three.

The bottom brackets have always been 68mm and the 113mm axles have always allowed ample clearance so as not to foul the rings on the chain-stays.

As I recall - when using a 30T inner ring it was necessary to go to a 115mm axle.

I have deliberately kept the axle lengths tight because I have actually been using Campagnolo double dérailleurs to shift across the triple rings. I noticed that there was ample movement to allow that to happen comfortably instead of paying silly money for triples.

It also keeps the 'Cross-over' to a minimum when on the extremes if ever needed.

I have an 8spd Mirage set-up on my Benotto and a 10spd set-up on my Steve Goff.
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 08 April, 2017, 06:48:32 pm »
I don't know what Suntour Superbe Comp cranks look like. Superbe Pro, yes but not Comp. Superbe Pro were double only. XC Comp were triple cranks.

SR Suntour is a different company. There seems to be a hint of those cranks out there but no details, even on the SR Suntour website.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2017, 05:57:13 pm »
Look at the inner ring position in relation to the inner face of the square taper. if the inner ring is well inboard of the crank then you're likely to need something around 123mm. If it's inline with the face something around 110/113mm.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2017, 06:07:50 pm »
Thanks folks. 

I think it's a 113 from what I have found online.   The inner ring sits a couple of mm only inboard of the inner crank face.   I have a 122mm UN52 but it looks way too long.     

« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2017, 06:15:37 pm »
Just in case you have anything suitable in stock Tors...

I'll be looking for rings for the chainset at some point.   It takes the same as a classic Shimano road triple and I'm looking for 26 / 38 / 48 as per my current setup.   A matching set would be nice.

This is for my last 'solo' bike* for which I am collecting the kit together ready for the donor frame which is due in August.   It is going to be a flat bar 700c machine with v brakes, XT 9x3 shifters and mechs, a SON dynamo with the Cyo Premium and Philips Saferide lights, a Tubus Vega rack and perhaps one of the Brooks B17's if it has been repaired.   

Still need some suitable flat bars (25.4 preferred as I have a range of stems) and either a second Avid Arch Rival or something else suitable.   

*  I plan to stop riding solo in 2019.

« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2017, 07:54:43 pm »
Supplementary question:   I have the option of a number of units including 68x113 and 68x115.   My question is, where are the 2mm in relation to the axle on a 113?   

Just curious.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7 on: 17 April, 2017, 01:11:47 am »
A 115 is generally 1mm longer on each side than a 113. Paradoxically some 110 & 113 units are the same length on the drive side.

If you trial fit the 122 you have along with your chosen front mech, use a long steel rule against the middle ring. As long as the edge meets the middle sprocket on the cassette and the mech has sufficient travel in both directions, you're jake.
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8 on: 17 April, 2017, 01:21:01 am »
BTW, I think I have the same chainset somewhere. Is there a 'hidden' bolt behind the crank? and the hole oriented square as opposed to diamond? The rings would be 130/74mm PCD. 

My advice would be to source some Stronglight rings, especially the outer as the pin that fits behind the crank can be fitted in two different places for the appropriate orientation of the bolts.
VELOMANCER

« Reply #9 on: 22 April, 2017, 08:51:21 pm »
Yes Tors, it's the same as you describe.

I was going to use Stronglight Zircal although the images on Spa Cycles website sho only one pin position and it's in the wrong place.    :-\