Author Topic: playback/ride-analysis sites  (Read 2726 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
playback/ride-analysis sites
« on: 08 April, 2017, 06:49:21 pm »
Is Strava the only practical game in town for this?

I have standard Garmin .gpx logfiles to analyse. I used to use the bbarker site, but he's let the database fall to bits - no complaints here!

ridewithgps has an import facility, but I note from a first attempt that it is utterly confused by an A-B route :( Maybe there is a workaround ... EDIT: probably this user error  :facepalm:

( I don't need most of the Strava facilities - I'd just like to put a ride log online for others to see, and for me to look at rough timings, elevation etc. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: playback/ride-analysis sites
« Reply #1 on: 08 April, 2017, 06:50:53 pm »
Relive

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2017, 07:05:57 am »
Cheers - will give that a spin.

On further fiddling, it seems RideWithGPS works fine, and actually has the Strava "segments" feature (this is good and bad!).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3 on: 09 April, 2017, 08:03:29 am »
Veloviewer

« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2017, 07:31:06 pm »
One of the features of ridewithgps (not on Strava) which I like, is being able to select, and get data for, any given section of the ride.  So (if anyone doesn't know), using elevation profile to select any region, and metrics tab for the data.

I still use Strava as a comprehensive log though...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2017, 08:14:38 pm »
One of the features of ridewithgps (not on Strava) which I like, is being able to select, and get data for, any given section of the ride.  So (if anyone doesn't know), using elevation profile to select any region, and metrics tab for the data.

I still use Strava as a comprehensive log though...

You can do something similar on Strava by clicking on the Analysis tab.

« Reply #7 on: 12 April, 2017, 03:01:39 pm »
The benefits of Strava include the fact that the free version is useful as it is, you can link it directly to Garmin Connect so you need do nothing but connect your Garmin for the ride data to be uploaded, most people are on it so you can see what others are doing as well as viewing your own historical rides, and being so widely used it means that other software like Veloviewer have interfaces with it.

The risk is that at some point the free functionality may start to be reduced, but you can export the data (always a good idea if the data is important to you).

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #8 on: 13 April, 2017, 01:20:44 pm »
You can do something similar on Strava by clicking on the Analysis tab.

Ah yes, s'funny because I thought I remembered being able to do that on Strava but couldn't find it.

I've also tried 'Relive' but without photos uploaded at the same time as a gpx file to add 'interest', the playback doesn't mean that much. Strava 'flyby' is far superior.  Relive could do with more map annotation, and the ability to add photos post-gpx upload.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #9 on: 13 April, 2017, 01:22:10 pm »
The benefits of Strava include the fact that the free version is useful as it is, you can link it directly to Garmin Connect so you need do nothing but connect your Garmin for the ride data to be uploaded, most people are on it so you can see what others are doing as well as viewing your own historical rides, and being so widely used it means that other software like Veloviewer have interfaces with it.

The risk is that at some point the free functionality may start to be reduced, but you can export the data (always a good idea if the data is important to you).
Strava with the Stravistix plugin is all anyone ever needs.