Author Topic: All our saddle problems are solved! (Maybe)  (Read 2306 times)

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Re: All our saddle problems are solved! (Maybe)
« Reply #1 on: 09 April, 2017, 10:36:07 pm »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rinsten/rinsten-spring-the-ultimate-bicycle-shock-absorber?ref=home_recs

If nothing else, it takes my Cheesey Video of the Week award :)

Hi Morat. Cheesy indeed. I don't think that my rear end would be terribly chuffed in the event of fatigue and a total failure of the cheesy spring sandwich.
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2017, 11:13:17 pm »
Impressive lack of magic hats in the video  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 09 April, 2017, 11:23:00 pm »
Magic pants?

« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2017, 05:43:55 am »
What I see is a nightmare of saddle adjustment: saddle angle will change with rider's weight!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2017, 08:31:31 am »
The 'Bummer' was supposed to solve all our saddle problems in the 1980s.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 10 April, 2017, 08:40:13 am »
Saddles on springs isn't new. Apart from normal sprung saddles, there have been plenty of 'beam' bikes in the last few decades and their riders coped with changes in saddle angle.
http://beambikes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/home-page-to-beam-bikes.html
http://www.foldingcyclist.com/Bike-Friday-Air-Friday-folding-bike.html
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #7 on: 10 April, 2017, 08:44:58 am »
With a beam bike, a large range of movement results in a small change in saddle angle. That isn't the case with this saddle.

That said, I had a selle Italia saddle that had a spring system built into the rails - the rails at the rear socketed into some sort of springs that were fully enclosed. It worked pretty well, I think there was maybe a cm in movement max but it was enough to take the sting out of bumps when spinning a fixed gear.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2017, 09:17:55 am »
As I said, sprung saddles have been around a while, virtually since bicycles were invented. The angle change from only having sprung movement at the back of the saddle, doesn't seem to be a major problem in practice for a lot of people.
http://www.brooksengland.com/en_uk/saddles/city.html
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 10 April, 2017, 09:27:40 am »
My first thought was how is this significantly different from a Thudbuster or the numerous Brooks and other sprung saddles? It seems the answer is adjustability (though perhaps the Thudbuster is adjustable, I don't know). It might actually be a decent product, as long as it doesn't snap or snag and isn't ridiculously expensive. I still don't want one though!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #10 on: 10 April, 2017, 09:50:08 am »
It looks inferior to a thudbuster in every way except being lighter.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #11 on: 10 April, 2017, 10:05:51 am »
i would like some more technical information, e.g. how much does it vertically move for a range of weight and position of a saddle. one potential issue i see is that inner thighs may rub against the suspension if it is not narrower than the nose of the saddle.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 10 April, 2017, 01:20:43 pm »
My first thought was how is this significantly different from a Thudbuster or the numerous Brooks and other sprung saddles?

Doesn't a Thudbuster have some damping?  That's conspicuously absent here.

I'm sure it'll work for some people doing certain types of riding.  Much like those padded saddle cover things.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 10 April, 2017, 01:37:45 pm »
Not sure about the details of a Thudbuster, I only remember Andy Gates writing enthusiastically about it. Good point about the damping, though maybe it's stiff enough (or can be set up stiff enough) for rrrreboundddd not to be a problem.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #14 on: 10 April, 2017, 02:34:04 pm »
I can just see that it snaps with one of these rails heading north, while you are heading south. There is a lot of flesh, blood vessels  and delicate bits in that region.

Recumbent seat = solved :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #15 on: 10 April, 2017, 03:20:24 pm »
My first thought was how is this significantly different from a Thudbuster or the numerous Brooks and other sprung saddles?

Doesn't a Thudbuster have some damping?

Only what comes naturally from hysteresis In sheered elastomer blocks. You can adjust the spring rate of a TB by swapping blocks though. I'd definitely pay the weight penalty for the Thud buster over this device....
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #16 on: 10 April, 2017, 03:39:07 pm »
I can just see that it snaps with one of these rails heading north, while you are heading south. There is a lot of flesh, blood vessels  and delicate bits in that region.

Recumbent seat = solved :)
if their safety testing and lifetime warranty are to be believed, it shouldn't snap. and if it does i would hope one of the two rails would go first which makes it a bit safer. i'd like to see a range of broken ones to make my mind up.