Author Topic: Not turning bikes upside down  (Read 11123 times)

Re: Not turning bikes upside down
« Reply #50 on: 08 May, 2017, 08:19:22 am »
I've grown to like scuffed saddles and levers

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #51 on: 08 May, 2017, 08:41:41 am »
You can pop the wheel out, pull out the tube, check the tyre, refit everything and pump it up with a frame pump in five minutes. Why make a meal of it by the side of the road if you don't need to?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #52 on: 08 May, 2017, 10:44:57 am »
I find that turning the bike upside down, renders it helpless, Like a sick animal, awaiting my delicate , undivided attention, as opposed to rushing the job thro,

<snip>

Flipping the bike back over again I get a sense of satisfaction, of job done, a bit like finally closing the bonnet of your car after an oil change/service.

I rather like this attitude!

I no longer flip bikes over - usually - but I totally agree with the feeling of "satisfaction, job done" :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #53 on: 08 May, 2017, 11:06:50 am »
BUT you see, this brings us to another question, do you patch, or do you swap??

Swap. Always (or until I run out of tubes). Especially in the dark/wet etc.  Incisions in tubes are a bit like trains at a level crossing. You patch one, only to discover the bastard bit of glass or whatever had a couple of bites.  And it's quicker.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #54 on: 08 May, 2017, 01:46:16 pm »
I'll patch if it's warm, dry, a convenient place to stop and I'm not in a hurry.  It saves the intact tube for the next visitation, where it might be none of those things.

If it's pish, or I'm holding up a group, swap every time.

I apply a similar logic to the use of CO2 rather than a pump.