Author Topic: What happens to Audax rides once the organiser/owner passes on.  (Read 2512 times)

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
I rode a lovely event a few years ago, from Fairburn Ings, in West Yorkshire. It was Brimham Rocks 200 & was organised by a lovely gent John Radford. Audax's new site has removed any old rides, it would appear.
I live and ride in Scotland but grew up near Fairburn and rode this, as I hadn't ridden any Audax this far south and we were staying in town for a couple of weeks.

It struck me that I would no longer be able to ride this event again under the original organiser but I may be able to take it on, as I'm becoming an organiser.

Who do I approach about doing this please?

Dave C

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: What happens to Audax rides once the organiser/owner passes on.
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2017, 10:47:09 pm »
The starting point would be the regional events secretary or failing that, the events secretary. See the auk officials section of the auk website for details.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2017, 01:22:00 pm »
It was Brimham Rocks 200 & was organised by a lovely gent whose name, embarrassingly escapes me.

You're possibly thinking of Ray Smith who is still an active cyclist but has moved to Wales.  The description fits anyway.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

paul851

« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2017, 01:43:45 pm »
Wasn't this organised by the late John Radford  and run by  Huddersfield CTC ? I vaguely remember planning to ride it four or five years back .

Paul

« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2017, 02:22:04 pm »
Wasn't this organised by the late John Radford  and run by  Huddersfield CTC ? I vaguely remember planning to ride it four or five years back

The internet archive confirms John Radford was the organiser in 2011. Annoyingly it doesn't seem to have the event detail page, and the pages for previous years won't load for me.

« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2017, 08:10:50 pm »
John was the organiser when I rode the event in 2004 and 2005.

I happened to see the other day whilst having a bit of a clear out that I still had the route sheet from back then and have plotted it out.

Brimham Rocks 2004

Controls at the time were

Riverside Café in Knaresborough
How Stean Gorge Café
Springwell Café in Otley
Naburn Lock Caravan Site
Info control just beyond Thorpe Willoughby

Total distance for the route is showing as 198km which is under distance for a 200 but I have a feeling that this was the case.

There was also an option to avoid the bridle path beside the A64 at the 18km mark by turning left in Barwick and heading for Thorner via Scholes and Thorner lanes which added 4.3km to the route.

It's entirely possible that later versions of the event used slightly different routes and controls.

« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2017, 02:26:57 pm »
Springwell Café in Otley is gone. Would recommend Bloomfield Square - bike parking out the back, just ask for a lock at the counter. If you want booze, North Bar Social is similarly bike friendly, and also supplies locks on request.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Dave_C

« Reply #7 on: 17 April, 2017, 02:38:33 pm »
Thanks for the replies peeps, I appreciate them, and it was John Radford who organised the ride I rode, in 2013 I think. Its sad to think I over heard him at the Arrivee chatting about his previous incident where he had been injured, and later on he was to be hit again.

I'll contact the AUDAX Events Sec who is my local org I think, but in the first instance I'll contact Hudderfield CTC out of respect as they may still own it and be planning on rerunning it in the future.

Many thanks, Dave C

pizzicatooff

• Night riding is inevitable
« Reply #8 on: 17 April, 2017, 10:18:56 pm »
Hi Dave,

There was a fair bit of unfinished Audax business when John Radford was knocked off his bike on 31 July 2013, and I ended up doing some of it including some Easter Arrows work and sending some brevet cards back to riders, possibly including cards for the Brimham Rocks 200  and Wetherby 100 events.

John had taken over the event some years earlier from its originator Ray Smith, who Francis mentioned. I have John's ring binder containing all the paperwork from the 2013 events and see that you were one of the successful riders. I completed the Wetherby 100 ride that day. This companion ride was an important adjunct to the Brimham Rocks as it usually attracted a greater number of riders and thus made the hall hire feasible.

I have route sheets and other papers from 2013 associated with both events if you are interested. It's a long way from Fife to Fairburn, though.

Chris

Dave_C

« Reply #9 on: 18 April, 2017, 10:45:28 am »
Hi Dave,

There was a fair bit of unfinished Audax business when John Radford was knocked off his bike on 31 July 2013, and I ended up doing some of it including some Easter Arrows work and sending some brevet cards back to riders, possibly including cards for the Brimham Rocks 200  and Wetherby 100 events.

John had taken over the event some years earlier from its originator Ray Smith, who Francis mentioned. I have John's ring binder containing all the paperwork from the 2013 events and see that you were one of the successful riders. I completed the Wetherby 100 ride that day. This companion ride was an important adjunct to the Brimham Rocks as it usually attracted a greater number of riders and thus made the hall hire feasible.

I have route sheets and other papers from 2013 associated with both events if you are interested. It's a long way from Fife to Fairburn, though.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to me here. My parents live in Garforth, on the orginal route (as I rode it) and as we visit half a dozen times a year, it would not be difficult to organise the ride form here and then stay at my folks on the weekend of the ride.

Thanks for the tip about the Wetherby 100, I didn't know this and it would be good to run this on the same day also, to help pay for the hall, as you suggest. I guess you live near Hudderfield, so I could arrange to visit to chat to you and perhaps collect the paperwork over the summer? I am riding Deano's 300 from near Northallerton on Sat 29th April and then going down to Garforth for the rest of the bank holiday weekend. I could take a drive over to visit you and chat on the Sunday afternoon/evening of the 30th April if you are around?

Kind regards, Dave C

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #10 on: 18 April, 2017, 08:57:28 pm »
You're possibly thinking of Ray Smith who is still an active cyclist but has moved to Wales. 

Still an active cyclist and, last time I checked, still living in Wakefield.

The Brimham Rocks 200 originally started and finished in Wakefield, but moved to Fairburn after several years to avoid busy urban roads on the return journey. John Radford took over the organisation soon after the move to Fairburn.