Author Topic: Best map holder?  (Read 2412 times)

Best map holder?
« on: 25 April, 2017, 08:51:59 am »
Really short of motivation for rides and one thing putting me off from getting out on my bike is that I hate stopping and getting out a phone at turns to check which way. There are lots of back roads winding around, but it really needs a map to navigate.

So, I'd like a map holder on the bars.

I have a bar bag with a map slot but can't easily fit it due to cables. A map clip thingy on the bars would be easier.

Which ones work to take an OS map and don't spontaneously snap after 50miles of potholes?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: Best map holder?
« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2017, 10:07:27 am »
I have a Polaris map Trap for such use. It doesn't get used all that often - especially since getting a Garmin but it's reasonably rugged and hasn't broken yet. It does however, have a habit of sliding round the handlebars after too many potholes.

It is a fairly expensive piece of plastic but it seems to work OK, I've not tried any others.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Polaris-MapTrap-Map-Holder_86605.htm?sku=293327&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CKOejNugv9MCFVcz0wodMTAENg
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2017, 10:29:08 am »
Really short of motivation for rides and one thing putting me off from getting out on my bike is that I hate stopping and getting out a phone at turns to check which way. There are lots of back roads winding around, but it really needs a map to navigate.

I have a bar bag with a map slot but can't easily fit it due to cables. A map clip thingy on the bars would be easier.

Which ones work to take an OS map and don't spontaneously snap after 50miles of potholes?

Surely to be truly effective the map would need to be in a laminated - therefore - waterproof but visible cover.

Alternatively a 'Waterproof/Water resistant' Smart Phone with SatNav built into the apps.
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2017, 10:31:09 am »
Steel bulldog clip and meaty zip-tie.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2017, 10:52:09 am »

Surely to be truly effective the map would need to be in a laminated - therefore - waterproof but visible cover.

Alternatively a 'Waterproof/Water resistant' Smart Phone with SatNav built into the apps.
I hate navigating by GPS/smartphone.
The online maps don't show the small roads unless you zoom in (and then you can't see where you are in relationship to other roads). They don't show gradients or contours so you have no idea what sort of country you are heading into.
If you are riding to a schedule, the average speed functions and speed made good functions of a GPS device are really useful. But for exploring an area they are carp.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2017, 10:56:39 am »
I'm inclined to agree. GPS is great for point to point navigation but doesn't give any idea of surrounding areas or opportunities for the spontaneous that touring cycling is particularly suited to.

I think we have best of both worlds, Mrs trekker and I tour together so one of us has GPS and the other has the map on a handlebar bag.

OS maps now come laminated as do many European ones, the handlebar bag has a plastic cover in the map holder and maps don't run out of batteries*

*although the Etrex GPS I have won't anymore now it's connected to my dynamo.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 25 April, 2017, 01:28:58 pm »
Thirded.  GPS unit for following a planned route, sure.  For exploring it's handy for telling you where you've been after the fact.  But for on the fly working out what to do next, you can't beat a proper map.  (For values of proper map that can include one stored on a tablet device with a decent sized screen and enough CPU grunt to scroll and zoom interactively.)

« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2017, 02:31:57 pm »
T[size=0px]The online maps don't show the small roads unless you zoom in (and then you can't see where you are in relationship to other roads). They don't show gradients or contours so you have no idea what sort of country you are heading into. [/size][/size]o. [size=0px]

I can see them quite easily on my Huawei Note 8 with its 6.8 inch screen.  And the contour lines. And zooming in and out of the map is as simple as pressing + or - on the screen. Oh yes and dragging with a finger swipe lets you look off the map but it pops back to your location after a short while.  I don't see many self folding paper maps.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 25 April, 2017, 02:41:57 pm »
Quite.  There's a spectrum from Google Maps (or something worse....Apple?  Nokia?) to an electronic Ordnance Survey map.  The latter is a reasonable substitute for a paper copy of the same.  Sure, you can't lay it out on a table and you have to feed it electrons, but on the other hand it's wind-resistant, readable in the dark, you're not on the edge of the map, it won't wear out from repeated scrolling and doesn't weigh anything (assuming you're carrying the device anyway).

If I'm going off-roading, I'll prefer a paper map (possibly a disposable laser print of the relevant area) because it won't break if I drop it.  If I'm touring, I'll use electronic maps on the tablet to save bulk and weight.  If I'm on a normal bike ride without such things and have reason to wonder if *that* bridleway works as a shortcut around *this* closed road, I'll peer at a tiny section of OS map on my phone screen, which is what I have with me.

Anyway, paper maps are a reasonable option, at least some of the time.  The question is what's a good way to hold them?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 25 April, 2017, 02:54:32 pm »
In the past, I've used print outs from cycle.travel in the map holder built into the top of a bar bag. That combines the functions of gps and map in that you get a line to follow and you get a map showing everything around you. Unfortunately I've found that an OS map doesn't fold into them very well, besides which you've said there's no room for a bar bag due to gear cables (though Nokon[?] cables could make it possible?) so I reckon you're stuck with either an expensive bit of plastic or a clipboard and a bulldog clip.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #10 on: 25 April, 2017, 03:48:48 pm »
Rust never sleeps

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #11 on: 26 April, 2017, 09:32:09 am »
Just navigate by The Forcetm
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #12 on: 26 April, 2017, 03:05:17 pm »
I have this one which I'll sell you for a tenner? I've had it for more than a year and never got round to putting it on a bike.

« Reply #13 on: 26 April, 2017, 04:43:44 pm »
PM sent
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14 on: 06 May, 2017, 01:02:12 pm »
Ex-fboab map holder is working out very well, although it might have led me somewhat astray. Was enjoying myself far too much noodling around back lanes on the way to hovingham, somehow found my way via back rounds to Hutton-le-hole with dead legs, dreaming of food. Fortunately there is a decent pub in Hutton-le-hole . . . Not sure how I'm getting back to York!
<i>Marmite slave</i>