Author Topic: SRAM mech compatibility question  (Read 1466 times)

SRAM mech compatibility question
« on: 03 May, 2017, 05:27:43 pm »
CYCleman is enduring a slow mechanical on the road on his way to Long Itch.  His lower jockey wheel is disintegrating.

The mech is an SRAM X7.   I have an SRAM Dual Drive rear mech which looks identical (except colour perhaps and of course branding) to an X7 and both are 1:1 cable pull ratio.

So, I'm guessing that we could just transplant one for the other or even just transplant the jockey wheels which can be replaced later.

Thoughts please?

Re: SRAM mech compatibility question
« Reply #1 on: 03 May, 2017, 05:35:46 pm »
Just spoken with Chris again.   His trike is a dual drive setup and he's using friction so I'm pretty sure this or any shimano / SRAM mtb mech would suffice.   

I'm on standby to try and arrange for an International Rescue mission if he gets stranded.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 03 May, 2017, 05:37:09 pm »
Jockey wheel transplant should be fairly forgiving, I'd have thought.  Especially the lower one.

« Reply #3 on: 03 May, 2017, 05:46:42 pm »
Thanks Kim.

I hope so too but I also hope that he doesn't trash his mech limping on with bodges.

Replacement mech at the ready, phone to hand.  I've already been for my ride today but it seems like I could be getting a BP in today!

« Reply #4 on: 03 May, 2017, 06:09:14 pm »
Cycleman has bodged it up and is on the move again.   i am trying to round up a willing moton who can transport me, a rear mech and tools to the scene of the grime should it become necessary.

« Reply #5 on: 03 May, 2017, 07:32:54 pm »
The good news is that Cycleman's bodge has held and he has made it to Long Itch.   74.6 miles having left home at 4a.m. 

I can stand down for the evening and probably pop out to see him tomorrow.

He's bonkers!    :thumbsup:

Researching SRAM jockey wheels:  What's with the weird twin holes arrangement in the top jockey then?    ???

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 03 May, 2017, 07:53:51 pm »
Researching SRAM jockey wheels:  What's with the weird twin holes arrangement in the top jockey then?    ???

*googles*

*boggles*

I don't recall the X7 mech on barakta's trike looking like that...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-jockey-wheels-x9/rp-prod7316 is a more informative picture.  Looks like they couldn't be arsed to use an actual bearing?

« Reply #7 on: 03 May, 2017, 08:13:07 pm »
the two holes thing means it is 'a special pulley' that can't so easily be bought as more ordinary ones. I think they dropped this design feature later on; just as well....

cheers

« Reply #8 on: 03 May, 2017, 08:33:56 pm »

*googles*

*boggles*

I don't recall the X7 mech on barakta's trike looking like that...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-jockey-wheels-x9/rp-prod7316 is a more informative picture.  Looks like they couldn't be arsed to use an actual bearing?

What a bizarre setup.   Bloody comedians!

I also note that there are two different lower jockey wheel options with differing sized holes.   ???   

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9 on: 03 May, 2017, 09:26:21 pm »
I have a couple of broken X-something mechs that we could cannibalise on Friday if that's any use. just let me know and I'll put them in the car . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #10 on: 03 May, 2017, 09:30:58 pm »
Lower jockey only required Tors so yes please if you can.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #11 on: 03 May, 2017, 09:36:56 pm »
 :thumbsup:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #12 on: 03 May, 2017, 09:37:58 pm »
Thank you Sir.

I'll have the whole new mech with me and a new gear cable and end cap just in case SRAM compatibility fails and we need to replace the mech.

« Reply #13 on: 08 May, 2017, 10:14:44 pm »
many thanks to polar bear and torslander for your efforts on my behalf  :). also my thank to everyone who contributed to this thread  :). the new mech is proforming fine   
the slower you go the more you see