Author Topic: [LEL17] Recovery time  (Read 2416 times)

[LEL17] Recovery time
« on: 07 May, 2017, 06:44:13 pm »
Hi all,

A slightly different question. How long after completing LEL/ PBP or similar are you up for another big ride? This will be my first ride of this length, but I'm planning a bit of a tour in September, is this going to be too soon? It's looking like it'll be the Canadian Rockies, so lumpy and laden, but short relaxed days.

I appreciate this is quite individual but I'd appreciate some experiences from the veterans!

Cheers

John

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Recovery time
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2017, 06:53:48 pm »
A one week gap between 1200s is a bit too soon for me, a fortnight is pretty good, a little longer is great. I reckon you'll be going very nicely in September if you balance recovery and riding after LEL.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2017, 06:57:44 pm »
We rode a 300, 10 days after LEL 2013, as did others on this here forum.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #3 on: 07 May, 2017, 07:24:43 pm »
After my first 1200 km audax my biggest problem was the sleep deprivation (it was an 8pm start). I did a 200 km audax three weeks later without any issues.

Near the end of LEL 2013 my ankles were quite swollen (probably due to the saddle height being slight wrong and exacerbate by riding fixed). The next time I rode was a month later when I went touring in Normandy, France, but that delay was more because I was in Israel for three weeks and after ten days or so I'd have been fine for cycling.

After PBP 2015 I don't recall having an issues and was backpacking through the Scottish Cairngorms ten days later.

Whereabouts in the Rockies are you thinking of visiting? We cycled from Jasper to Lake Louise along the Icefields Parkway last June and it was absolutely incredible. From Lake Louise we headed south towards the US border. There's some beautiful scenery and massive climbs.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Ben T

« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2017, 08:40:24 pm »
Hi all,

A slightly different question. How long after completing LEL/ PBP or similar are you up for another big ride? This will be my first ride of this length, but I'm planning a bit of a tour in September, is this going to be too soon? It's looking like it'll be the Canadian Rockies, so lumpy and laden, but short relaxed days.

I appreciate this is quite individual but I'd appreciate some experiences from the veterans!

Cheers

John

About 3 minutes, if that. Sometimes even before the end.

Not sure how long after LEL I'd be up for relaxed touring in Canadian Rockies, but I'm pretty sure I'd be yearning for it sometime during it!

If you mean physically, 2 weeks. I once did a couple of longs audaxes with a one week gap and it was ok but two is better, ( if nothing else to forget the wails and the moans. ;) )

« Reply #5 on: 07 May, 2017, 08:57:48 pm »
Thanks all, sounds like I might be ok..

Whereabouts in the Rockies are you thinking of visiting? We cycled from Jasper to Lake Louise along the Icefields Parkway last June and it was absolutely incredible. From Lake Louise we headed south towards the US border. There's some beautiful scenery and massive climbs.

I have a chum in Vancouver so I'll be starting ish from there (although may well train/ bus out to wherever I'll start) not really done any planning yet.

John

« Reply #6 on: 12 May, 2017, 09:47:09 pm »
Usually you should be capable of doing a leasurely 200 audax by the end of august again. Touring form should be back by the start of september. I've scheduled a cycle touring holiday for mid september myself.

« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2017, 05:08:03 pm »
Struggled on a 300 DIY about three weeks after LEL2015.
Remaining tiredness in legs was a 'contributing factor' to being slightly Hors Délai along with poor planning, headwinds, a p.m. start, & time wasted at controls