Author Topic: Cycling words and phrases that annoy you  (Read 29583 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Cycling words and phrases that annoy you
« Reply #50 on: 26 June, 2017, 01:29:11 pm »

Now then, honking and bonking.  Americans may vomit and copulate on their bikes but please, not this side of the puddle.  We do lack a word for the former, though. In French (I know, I know) it's called being en danseuse even if you're a bloke, 'cos you're up on your points like her in Swan Lake. Standing on the pedals is awkward, though. Suggestions on a postcard...

You don't like bonking?  You must have a chronic puerility deficiency; start reading more smutty comics at once.

YACF supllies an adequate sufficiency, thank-you.

I really hate "sportive", both as a word and as a concept.  Pseudo-races for people who've bought all the gear but aren't good enough to enter a real race.

Nice definition. I suspect it's the same people who turn up at Sunday cycle tourist events in a big bunch, ride like the clappers and stand in front of the grub at controls without getting off their bikes because they reckon themselves a cut above all we plodder types.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #51 on: 26 June, 2017, 01:47:52 pm »
I really hate "sportive", both as a word and as a concept.  Pseudo-races for people who've bought all the gear but aren't good enough to enter a real race.

:thumbsup:

I've only entered one.  Never again, it wasn't like other rides I have done. I didn't know at the time but I made a huge faux pas by helping someone fix a bust bike en route! 

"good luck" !!!

Why will I need luck?

No, no, not just any luck you need the good stuff.  When you have had bad luck(absit) you will understand why.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #52 on: 26 June, 2017, 02:12:30 pm »
"good luck" !!!

Why will I need luck?

In a similar vein 'well done'

Fuck Off. Yes, I managed to ride <something> but so did you, you patronising fucktard.

« Reply #53 on: 26 June, 2017, 02:20:16 pm »
Clipless pedals (which do have a 'clip')

Alloy, as an abbreviation for aluminium. A steel or titanium frame is also an 'alloy'.

I think it's a false understanding of  'ali' (pron. 'alley') as an abbreviation of aluminium.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #54 on: 26 June, 2017, 03:01:01 pm »
I believe "alloy" in this context is simply short for aluminum alloy.  Back in the height of the term's popularity, people either didn't realise other metals on bikes were alloys, too, or they just didn't care.  Everyone knew what was meant.  Only in more recent years have I heard "ally" used instead.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #55 on: 26 June, 2017, 03:35:20 pm »
I heard "ally" (or "ali"?) back in the 80s, albeit in a motorcycling context. Same meaning though, aluminium.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #56 on: 26 June, 2017, 04:08:44 pm »
a 30-tonne arctic

That brought a chill to the thread ...

As for most of the other usages mentioned here, they rarely bother me, but they sometimes spur me to pass raging, prejudiced judgment on those who have uttered them.

Samuel D

« Reply #57 on: 26 June, 2017, 04:09:23 pm »
“Clincher” as if it differentiates from “tubeless” (which is obviously also a clincher).

“Double” as if it differentiates from “compact” (which is obviously also a double).

“Crank arm” (redundant and not in some subtle, forgiveable way).

I could go on at great length, but I realise from reading the other comments that this sort of of humourless nitpicking is deeply unattractive and much worse than the original sin.

By the way, Americans have many excellent, preferable words and language practices that I have taken to using. “Pace line” is one. Getting angry at something because it’s American is not exactly an endearing way to express your Britishness.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #58 on: 26 June, 2017, 04:23:11 pm »
By the way, Americans have many excellent, preferable words and language practices that I have taken to using. “Pace line” is one. Getting angry at something because it’s American is not exactly an endearing way to express your Britishness.

Largely agree, but if there's already a perfectly good term available then it's a bit daft to import one. Cf "train station".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #59 on: 26 June, 2017, 04:48:05 pm »

Now then, honking and bonking.  Americans may vomit and copulate on their bikes but please, not this side of the puddle.  We do lack a word for the former, though. In French (I know, I know) it's called being en danseuse even if you're a bloke, 'cos you're up on your points like her in Swan Lake. Standing on the pedals is awkward, though. Suggestions on a postcard...

I can easily tolerate 'getting out of the saddle'; it conveys the urgency or effort.  Honking means to smell offensive e.g. you've just Trumped.   

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #60 on: 26 June, 2017, 04:52:42 pm »
“Clincher” as if it differentiates from “tubeless” (which is obviously also a clincher).

“Double” as if it differentiates from “compact” (which is obviously also a double).

“Crank arm” (redundant and not in some subtle, forgiveable way).

I could go on at great length, but I realise from reading the other comments that this sort of of humourless nitpicking is deeply unattractive and much worse than the original sin.

You have picked your nits' arses before their faces. Tubeless differentiates from the tubed clincher which preceded it (and which needed a name to differentiate it from tubulars and, I think, from the non-clinching tyres used way back before hooked rims). Compact differentiates from the once dominant larger double (say 53-39).  All four (five counting tubular) are quite logical terms.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #61 on: 26 June, 2017, 04:55:17 pm »

Clincher - I accept its a description of how it works, but I come from an era of tyres & tubs (is anyone annoyed by 'tubs'?)

'Wire-on' was the old description of what's sometimes called a clincher.  Tub for tubular is obvious enough.  I have a feeling they were sometimes known as 'glue-ons'.

« Reply #62 on: 26 June, 2017, 05:41:22 pm »
Maybe, I certainly have a memory of a rapid swerve when cycling behind someone when it glued off.  The tyre and the rider both came unstuck.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #63 on: 26 June, 2017, 06:26:28 pm »
I shall have to watch my language in the unlikely event that I revisit the UK.  When I say bidon it's not an affectation, it's the word I learnt. I'll try hard (but not very) to call it a bottle if you insist.  BTW, it's also an adjective.

I can't justfy this, but bidon does annoy me a bit from anglo-phones, whereas peleton, palmares etc just sound fine!

(but riders and pundits need to decide whether the last few km or a race are "the final" or "the finale" )

If you speak English with an accent (or can speak proper French if challenged) then I think you'd get a pass for any "pretentious" french vocabulary!

BTW; how does bidon function as an adjective? IAMFI!

Mine:
Pedalling in squares (or circles). I find this completely UNdescriptive - I had to read the phrases dozens of times before figuring them out by context.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #64 on: 26 June, 2017, 06:30:34 pm »
'Palmares' - WTF language is that from?
'Peloton' - What's wrong with 'main group' or 'bunch'

And - most especially when misused by Sean 'Yiss, Well...' Kelly - 'classement'

Speak English, FFS!
Pourquoi?

Palmarès - c'est Français. Liste des gagnants d’un concours, d’une compétition, etc.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #65 on: 26 June, 2017, 06:37:52 pm »
Wheel - as in "Eddy is in third wheel".  No he's not, he's in third place which logically could be 5th wheel  :P.  Before commentators started using wheel they used "P" as do motor commentators these days - "Eddy is in P3".  Really winds me up as do other (non cycling) commentator abbreviations.

« Reply #66 on: 26 June, 2017, 06:38:59 pm »
I think we have Rapha and Rouleur magazine to thank for some of the French affectations like bidon.
Naah. They were commonly used by English-speaking cyclists of a TdF-watching persuasion long before there was a Rapha or a Rouleur, as anyone who rode a bike in a previous millennium should know. I remember 'em from the 1980s, when I learned them from leathery old club cyclists who now ride in the great peloton in the sky.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #67 on: 26 June, 2017, 06:54:10 pm »
And a Fender is a guitar. Let's get that right.

Tub: maybe in the saddle, never in the tyre.
Fenders have been hung over the sides of boats for centuries longer than they've been a brand of musical instruments. Even the USian use of them for car bumpers is decades older than the manufacturer of guitars, etc.

I recall tub was in use when I first heard of tubular tyres without inner tubes, over 30 years ago.

A surprising number of old usages being criticised here.
True. I see a lot of complaining here about what I learned as traditional British bicycle racing terminology, &  standard English usage for constituent parts of a bicycle.

Some people simultaneously complain about foreignisms (e.g. from the USA) & traditional British usages to which the alternatives are USian.  ???

Samuel D

« Reply #68 on: 26 June, 2017, 06:58:33 pm »
You have picked your nits' arses before their faces. Tubeless differentiates from the tubed clincher which preceded it (and which needed a name to differentiate it from tubulars and, I think, from the non-clinching tyres used way back before hooked rims). Compact differentiates from the once dominant larger double (say 53-39).  All four (five counting tubular) are quite logical terms.

Then let me elaborate. “Tubeless” is fine (of course it is!). The problem is that some people now talk about “clinchers” when they mean to exclude tubeless clinchers. “Should I use clinchers or tubeless for my world tour?” That’s not fine, since it breaks the meaning of the language (and for no gain, either). Tubeless is a subset of clinchers. Don’t put them at odds with each other.

Likewise, “compact” is a perfectly good label. The problem, again, is using “double” to exclude compacts. A compact is a type of double, not an alternative to it.

I’m not a Nazi about these things, but I hate lazy, unthinking writing. As a time-saving rule, the sort of people who are casual with these terms have nothing interesting to say.

IAMFI!

Now, that annoys me! And Googling it for a clue, I see one of the search results is purple to remind me I already did so before.

I’ll make exceptions for people like Kim, whose use of language is careful, hilarious, and the opposite of lazy even though it’s replete with acronyms.

Brucey, technical sage that he is, has a vexatious addiction to acronyms. I need to Google half of them. Some of them resist even that effort.

In French, people sometimes end their email to me with “Cdlt”, which I assume they think means “Cordialement” but certainly does not. There is nothing cordial about being too lazy to do me the courtesy of writing out the word, especially when the only purpose of the word is to convey courtesy.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #69 on: 26 June, 2017, 07:03:17 pm »
"googling" - how annoying is that?

;)

Meanwhile:
Wheel - as in "Eddy is in third wheel".  No he's not, he's in third place which logically could be 5th wheel  :P.  Before commentators started using wheel they used "P" as do motor commentators these days - "Eddy is in P3".  Really winds me up as do other (non cycling) commentator abbreviations.
I have no idea how the "third wheel" thing developed, but there is some defence for it; in most bike racing, most of the time positions are entirely temporary due to drafting/cooperation. So "in 3rd place" is - whilst not wrong - perhaps misleading. Whereas in motorsport it generally isn't.

Maybe ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #70 on: 26 June, 2017, 07:11:24 pm »
In French, people sometimes end their email to me with “Cdlt”
Are "d" and "u" close together on a French-layout keyboard?  Or "l" and "n"?   ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Samuel D

« Reply #71 on: 26 June, 2017, 07:52:16 pm »
Speaking of wheels, is it “sitting in the wheels” or “sitting on the wheels”? (Or “sitting on the wheel”?) And why? These phrases don’t stand up to literal interpretation.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #72 on: 26 June, 2017, 08:07:21 pm »
It's very British, but "tester" just makes me think of gonads.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #73 on: 26 June, 2017, 08:11:16 pm »
Speaking of wheels, is it “sitting in the wheels” or “sitting on the wheels”? (Or “sitting on the wheel”?) And why? These phrases don’t stand up to literal interpretation.

WADAA it's sitting 'on the wheel'.  YDNTKWIJIOK

BS*

*bonne soirée, not bullshit

« Reply #74 on: 26 June, 2017, 08:19:43 pm »

'Sitting on a wheel', or following a wheel, or (pejorative) 'wheel-sucking'. Sometimes just 'sitting-in'.  What the Yanks call 'drafting'.