Author Topic: Manchester - Fallowfield Loop  (Read 4934 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Manchester - Fallowfield Loop
« on: 28 June, 2017, 02:05:07 am »
I am reading with horror many reports of muggings, assaults and bike jacking on the Fallowfield loop. And it isn't kids doing it but large aggressive males, assaulting lone cyclists.

As yet I have seen no response from GMP.

Don't want to spread alarm but please be careful if you're using it.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Re: Manchester - Fallowfield Loop
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2017, 06:05:16 pm »
are these mainly recent, or over several years? daytime or night? I would feel very vulnerable there after dark, but it always feels quite safe whenever we go there, usually at weekends, because there are so many other people around. Are the muggings confined to certain spots, I wonder?

« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2017, 08:01:19 am »
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2017, 08:05:09 am »
Warning after spate of attacks on cyclists on Fallowfield Loop

20:20, 5 JUL 2016

That's last year, it's recent, there's been a spate of them, similar to the same time last year, seems to be Whalley Range area this time

« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2017, 02:24:40 pm »
Yes, I knew it was last year hence the bold. 

I lived in Fallowfield for a year; it wasn't great but then I moved right near Moss Side.  After they started shooting people there (we realised there might be a problem visiting the nearest pub and it went deathly quiet) I moved out to Stockport where they didn't shoot people nearly as much if at all. 

I guess the muggers think posh people from Didsbury ride bicycles now.  Back then they didn't.     

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: 30 June, 2017, 03:00:36 pm »

I lived in Fallowfield for a year; it wasn't great but then I moved right near Moss Side.  After they started shooting people there (we realised there might be a problem visiting the nearest pub and it went deathly quiet) I moved out to Stockport where they didn't shoot people nearly as much if at all. 

I guess the muggers think posh people from Didsbury ride bicycles now.  Back then they didn't.   

They used to...
VELOMANCER

« Reply #6 on: 30 June, 2017, 09:11:32 pm »
..different part of Stockport. 

« Reply #7 on: 03 July, 2017, 08:32:06 pm »

I grew up in Manchester and lived in Moss Side from 1965 to 1973. No problem with crime back then. However, I do think that there was (always) a negative narrative to peddle about the area. During the era of the shootings (late 80s - early 90s) there was just as much gun crime in nearby (predominately white) Salford. But gun crime in Salford wouldn't
make newspaper headlines or national news. ::-)

« Reply #8 on: 04 July, 2017, 12:41:52 pm »
Yes, the gun crime in Moss Side became an issue shortly after I moved there.  It's reputation was indeed bad but it was cheap, and we didn't move out due to the shootings, oh no.  The house we were renting had been burgled 3 times the year before we moved in though. It was the first time I have lived in a house with a burglar alarm. I cycle-commuted through the area for a year and the biggest problem was feral dog packs. Funnily enough, when I got lost there and asked a local the way he wanted to know where I came from.  I told him, Ipswich and he immediately asked if I knew a pub called the 'Blue Coat Boy', I did but said 'no' (it was a disreputable place said be a drug dealers haunt).  Shortly after it was set on fire in an arson attack and didn't re-open.  I think 'no' must have been the right answer.

« Reply #9 on: 04 July, 2017, 01:05:05 pm »
Yes, the gun crime in Moss Side became an issue shortly after I moved there. 

« Reply #10 on: 04 July, 2017, 02:11:53 pm »
Alexandra Park in Moss Side has recently benefited from some lottery funding to bring it back to its glory days. I'll be in Manchester (Stalybridge) for a music recital in a couple of weeks and hope to visit the park to reminisce about those carefree days between 65-73. :'(

« Reply #11 on: 04 July, 2017, 04:28:21 pm »
Yes, the gun crime in Moss Side became an issue shortly after I moved there.

You can't prove anything, it's entirely circumstantial O:-).   

« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2018, 02:46:52 pm »
Here we go again.

Stolen at knifepoint this morning about 0715 on the floop from a keen AUK just before the A6 bridge

It's a Saracen Avro 2.

« Reply #13 on: 07 June, 2018, 03:26:06 pm »
Here we go again.

Stolen at knifepoint this morning about 0715 on the floop from a keen AUK just before the A6 bridge

It's a Saracen Avro 2.
If the owner of the bike was riding it then surely the theft would have been near impossible.
Can we have more details please.

« Reply #14 on: 07 June, 2018, 03:29:54 pm »
Hooded man jumped out in front of rider brandishing a knife, rider swerved, hit the deck, threats made, thief rides off.

Rider in question is no slouch and would have been travelling at a decent speed

« Reply #15 on: 19 October, 2018, 01:20:50 pm »

« Reply #16 on: 19 October, 2018, 01:31:23 pm »
Here we go again.

It's a Saracen Avro 2.
If the owner of the bike was riding it then surely the theft would have been near impossible.
Can we have more details please.

What a strange remark!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #17 on: 20 October, 2018, 10:11:07 am »
viewing the recent protest ride in a wider context.
VELOMANCER

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #18 on: 07 May, 2019, 10:13:51 pm »
And again, on the 25th April this year: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/fallowfield-loop-attack-tree-branch-16203069

Just another reason to avoid off-road paths, AFAICS.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…