Author Topic: Neutering a dog - yes or no?  (Read 12007 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Neutering a dog - yes or no?
« Reply #50 on: 13 June, 2018, 05:58:11 pm »
Not sure neutering will cure that one.

Our Tilly is nice as pie to 99% of dogs she meets but there is the occasional one that she just flies at teeth bared and snarling  (including two in our village unfortunately).  There are another two that elicit the same reaction only if she and they are on the lead but are best of friends off the lead. I can't work it out at all.

Megan, our Border Terrier, is the same.  Can be quite shouty at other dogs bitches when she's on the lead.  I wonder if it is because she feels more vulnerable when restricted thus.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #51 on: 13 June, 2018, 07:46:05 pm »
I've had a couple of dogs neutered and left a couple over the years.
The only thing I have noticed with neutering is that the vet gets a little wealthier. Unless there is a health issue I'd leave them.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #52 on: 13 June, 2018, 09:40:47 pm »
Dogs smell better if they're neutered.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #53 on: 14 June, 2018, 01:14:16 am »
Having seen male dogs *freak out* when there's a bitch in heat nearby, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.
We only went through one heat cycle with Hana and having to be paranoid with regards to intact males was not fun.
Ok, so our neighbours French bulldog, who was Hana's best friend, was fun, as he clearly had no idea how to react to his hormones.
Also saw one lady getting dragged half across the street by her rather large pitbull before she managed to get it under a resemblance of control.

« Reply #54 on: 14 June, 2018, 08:57:20 am »
I've had a couple of dogs neutered and left a couple over the years.
The only thing I have noticed with neutering is that the vet gets a little wealthier. Unless there is a health issue I'd leave them.

Hmm..the thing is speying can prevent health issues, Pip was recently off her food a bit after being in heat, then there was bit of lethargy followed by a discharge, rang vet suspecting pyometra, 6 hours later after an emergency full hysterectomy I was four figures poorer and she felt very sorry for herself

The only dog she tolerated when she was in season was an elderly Rottweiler called Mason who was too arthritic to get it on, you could see the frustration in the air.

She's fully recovered now, apart from the big bald bit.