Author Topic: Solar Charging with an eWerk  (Read 1734 times)

Solar Charging with an eWerk
« on: 16 July, 2017, 07:04:10 pm »
I now have a question about the best panel for charging a mobile.  Am I right that most devices, like mobiles, smart phones, tablets, Kindles and the like charge with around 5v? ie same as a USB connection.

In order to make sure the little panel I have been testing does not produce too much current, I put it through an 'eWerk', as shown in the link below:

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/search/find/?q=ewerk

I guess this is functioning as a voltage and current regulator, but maybe it's also sapping some power from the panel.

I have been testing out a Kindle Fire with the small solar panel I have.  The Fire only shows that the panel is charging when it is in full sunlight.  Over a period of time, charging the device while it is on, the panel cannot keep up with the drain on the battery by the device.  If I switch it off, then the panel can manage to charge it to some degree, but again only if in full sunlight.  I don't have a meter to measure the output of the panel, but it certainly seems that it is too feeble.

Can I use the eWerk as a voltage regulator?  What spec of panel would best do this job? Its primary use would be in Ghana, where there's plenty of sun, but
extremely intermittent mains electricity, but it would be good if it could also be used in the UK, even on bright but cloudy days.

Chris S

Re: Solar Charging with an eWerk
« Reply #1 on: 16 July, 2017, 07:08:36 pm »
Much as I don't want to put an immediate downer on your thread, my experience of "Personal scale solar" is largely disappointing.

You might be able to make it work if you (a) have more than enough panels, (b) you're stationary, (c) you're not North of Paris.

ETA: Now we wait for Kim, for the Correct Answer.

« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2017, 07:12:13 am »
Thanks, Chris.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to be mobile with this, either on a bike or otherwise.  On my LEJOG last year, I managed pretty well with a dynamo, the eWerk, and a back-up battery.

I too expect that Kim will know the answer...!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2017, 01:21:27 pm »
I didn't know you could feed an e-Werk DC.  That could be handy...

What you certainly shouldn't do is connect a solar panel to a phone/tablet/kindle/etc directly.  They're expecting regulated 5V with fairly tight tolerances, and exceeding this is likely to cause the magic smoke to escape.

You're on the right track with using a buck/boost regulator to bring the panel's output within spec, but it's never quite that simple.  If you're charging a battery, there's a balancing act involved in keeping the voltage/current at the sweet spot to extract the maximum power from a panel.  If you're powering a USB device, you don't have that luxury - it expects 5V and (dumb charger identification issues aside) will draw whatever current it wants to draw, and if the source can't supply that much power the voltage will drop out.  If you're lucky you get intermittent charging.  If you're unlucky the device goes into a sulk and refuses to charge.  If you're really unlucky the device wakes up and starts consuming power from its internal battery faster than it's drawing from the USB port, and you end up with a net discharge.

Given that you're asking the question, I'd suggest what you need is a commercial solar charging product that provides you with a regulated 5V USB output.  It'll either have to be large enough that it can comfortably exceed the current demands of whatever device you intend to power, or work by charging a battery with whatever power is available at the time, which can then be used to charge your device at the current it chooses.

If mobility isn't an issue, then an alternative approach might be to use a suitable panel to charge a deep-cycle lead acid battery[1], and then a buck regulator to efficiently step that down to USB spec.  There are no shortage of off-the-shelf panels designed for charging car/boat/caravan batteries, and a decent-quality (something rated for iPads) car USB charger should be based on a reasonably efficient regulator.

If you want a panel to work usefully in the UK, take the power rating of the device you want to supply and double it.  So a typical smartphone-like device charging at 1A is going to need a panel in the 10Watt region.  Compare the area of a 10W panel with that of a Powermonkey type device and you can see why "personal scale solar" is usually disappointing.

[1] They're heavy, but they're cheap and extremely non-fussy about how they're charged.  Gel cells are a bit more portable than wet ones.

« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2017, 01:27:15 pm »
Wot Kim said.

How big is your panel?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2017, 01:30:29 pm »
It's only little (150mm x 150mm) and of unknown spec or origin.

Kim - thanks for the detailed info, very useful.  the deep-cycle battery might just be a good option - will investigate further. :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 17 July, 2017, 02:29:29 pm »
I meant the claimed generating capacity, but area is a good guide to that.

150mm squared isn't really large enough to generate any significant amount of lecky.

You need something larger
Take a look at this: https://www.powertraveller.com/en/shop/portable-chargers/outdoor-adventure/solarmonkey-expedition/

Four times the size to output 1Amp in optimum conditions - the price might seem large but you are getting panel that includes the charge-controller as well.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 17 July, 2017, 02:36:22 pm »
Thanks!  That looks really impressive, and geared specifically to what I'm looking for.

« Reply #8 on: 17 July, 2017, 02:52:28 pm »
You might find someone selling one second-hand. I've heard it said that a lot of 'expedition' gear gets bought, used once on an expedition, then sold. Check ebay.

Powermonkey gets good reviews for their kit. Not used it myself.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 17 July, 2017, 03:07:57 pm »
I didn't know you could feed an e-Werk DC.  That could be handy...

I've just looked this up and the manual specifies that it will tolerate up to 50V DC on the input, irrespective of polarity.  (The same goes for the USB-Werk.)  Which means that connecting it directly to a solar panel (say, a nominal 12V one) isn't a terrible idea, though it won't optimise the efficiency.  It also means it will tolerate the traction battery voltage of most e-bikes.

« Reply #10 on: 17 July, 2017, 04:01:03 pm »
I kept my phone charged for a week with my Goal Zero 3.5w panel in Shetland in early May!
But it was exceptionally sunny that week.
I was planning on upgrading to a Portapow 11w panel but it seems to have disappeared from their website, only the 15w panel seems to be left there, which is a bit large, http://www.portablepowersupplies.co.uk/15w-solar-usb-charger-v2/

« Reply #11 on: 17 July, 2017, 04:05:16 pm »
Does this in fact mean that, albeit by accident and in a cloud of unwittingness, I have actually caused the Great Kim, in her Kimness, to learn something new?  I'll never live it down! ;D :thumbsup: O:-)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 17 July, 2017, 04:37:00 pm »
For those who wear a backpack, maybe consider this one with a good solar panel built in: https://youtu.be/OV5fHb68B0A

Or see Julian's other videos for reviews of some portable panels on their own.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #13 on: 17 July, 2017, 04:43:27 pm »
Thanks for all these suggestions. :thumbsup: