Author Topic: [LEL17] Volunteer tales  (Read 12997 times)

Re: Volunteer tales
« Reply #25 on: 04 August, 2017, 03:43:55 pm »
I rode and completed LEL 2013. This year decided to work as a volunteer at the Louth Control which was very enjoyable and rewarding helping all the riders.

All I can say is it was by far easier to ride the event in 2013 than it was to work as volunteer in 2017 :)

« Reply #26 on: 04 August, 2017, 04:48:52 pm »
(I can't believe now that it was only yesterday morning but) whilst serving breakfasts at Louth I had several folks who wanted a rasher of bacon on top of their porridge. One rider then added honey to the bacon/porridge combo.

« Reply #27 on: 04 August, 2017, 05:01:12 pm »
That sounds quite good actually.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #28 on: 04 August, 2017, 06:06:30 pm »
Myself and one of the other volunteers at the gate at Great Easton were chatting to a rider this morning about the neck problems she'd been suffering and the solution she tried - taping her plait to the back of her jersey  :o

As she left to head up to the control, she turned back and said 'you know you guys get a guaranteed entry in 2021 right?' We replied that we knew and she just said 'don't do it!'  ;D

I found volunteering incredibly enjoyable and rewarding. If I don't ride in 2021, I will defo help out again.

« Reply #29 on: 04 August, 2017, 07:11:31 pm »
I found volunteering incredibly enjoyable and rewarding.

As a rider I really appreciated your good humour and very warm welcome to Great Easton, and especially the chicanery to navigate to get to the bike parking, which added some excitement.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #30 on: 04 August, 2017, 08:08:12 pm »
I was that rider. The wheel held up brilliantly, and I made my 100-hour limit with just 37 minutes in hand - so your truing job saved my ride, I reckon. Thank you, and all the brilliant volunteers.

I have a few, but most can wait until I've had some sleep as I've just got home from Thirsk.

One that sticks in my mind though, was a rider at 5am yesterday while I marshalling. He misjudged the entrance to the control, got caught up on the curved curb, and rode straight into the brick gatepost!

Luckily he wasn't hurt, but his front wheel got stuck in between the back of the school gate, and the post, so the rim was pringled. I'm hoping he made it back as I got the wheel just about straight, but the tensions were that far off even in places you could have played it like a harp.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #31 on: 05 August, 2017, 02:14:20 pm »
After being at Loughton for Friday, Saturday and Sunday I went by train to Moffat, arriving about 8pm on Sunday and left there on Tuesday for Eskdalemuir. While at Eskdalemuir I was The Mighty Door Guard - which involves getting riders to remove shoes and put them in the white plastic bag supplied and carry them around so no one takes the wrong shoes: then I put on their feet (basically I was too impatient then to wait for them to do it because they couldn't lift their feet or straighten their arms enough to do it themselves -  the blue plastic shoe covers, to protect their (utterly sweat-soaked) socks from the floor.

A group of four left and a few seconds later one rushed back in a total panic: said "I have forgotten my glasses." I told him he couldn't go in wearing shoes and I'd fetch them - what did they look like?

Here's the reply: "They are on the table in the corner. They, they, look like (removes glasses) they look like th.... oh, here they are." He'd been wearing them all the time.

They're all mad in audax. TRUEFACT
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #32 on: 05 August, 2017, 02:55:01 pm »
I was that rider. The wheel held up brilliantly, and I made my 100-hour limit with just 37 minutes in hand - so your truing job saved my ride, I reckon. Thank you, and all the brilliant volunteers.

I have a few, but most can wait until I've had some sleep as I've just got home from Thirsk.

One that sticks in my mind though, was a rider at 5am yesterday while I marshalling. He misjudged the entrance to the control, got caught up on the curved curb, and rode straight into the brick gatepost!

Luckily he wasn't hurt, but his front wheel got stuck in between the back of the school gate, and the post, so the rim was pringled. I'm hoping he made it back as I got the wheel just about straight, but the tensions were that far off even in places you could have played it like a harp.
Brilliant! Well done :thumbsup: :):):)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #33 on: 05 August, 2017, 08:12:35 pm »
Wonder if I should mention my Volunteer moans from Loughton?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #34 on: 05 August, 2017, 08:30:30 pm »
Sod it.

This is the car park at Loughton, where you were not allowed to enter without permission or payment.

There was a cone in the middle of the gates that was put there because the keep on the floor where the monkey tail bolts go it to was quite proud and caused a off in the dark.  Car drivers seemed to decide to either move the cone and not put it back or to run it over. 

The was a silver VW caddy van, that had arrived to collect a participant, that decided to stop and try and reverse park in to a space.  Seeming to not notice that a cyclist was arriving and there was almost an incident.  This annoyed me quite a bit, you would think that a car driver would be more vigilant as they know what is going on at the end of LEL.  The excuse they gave was that the expected the cyclist would go the other way.  Pointing out that they shouldn't even be there as parking wasn't allowed didn't stop them from parking there and mention that cyclist have priority over cars here didn't seem to change their opinions or apologize.  Later seen at the control talk loudly about cycling history.  Imagine a DNF and injury due to the car drivers lack of thought. 

Lastly there was a sign on the right attached to the gates outside, that someone collecting a participant decided to park in front of.  The volunteers were told by finishers that it wasn't clear where to enter. 

« Reply #35 on: 06 August, 2017, 02:57:35 pm »
I shall mostly remember the ability of some riders at St Ives to fit a bit of EVERYTHING on one plate.  And that includes one each of the cheese and the beef pasties.

Plus I had one rider point at the cheese pasty and ask if it was suitable for vegans.  I said I was unsure what went into the pasty.  He said "well the cheese certainly isn't vegan!  I'll have beef pasty then..."  This was on the first day

« Reply #36 on: 06 August, 2017, 03:18:29 pm »
Well if you are going to sin, might as well do it thoroughly.

Shouting at riders heading out of registration on the right hand side of the road. Thankfully the guy I was there with spoke German so after me shouting left his German version got them on the correct side soon enough

Links Fahren! Having worked at a ferry port.  Almost the only German I know outside of war films. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #37 on: 06 August, 2017, 03:42:11 pm »
2 moments will particularly stick in my mind (from St Ives).

Wishing a woman well that I had just woken up in the dormitory, she suddenly says: "What did you say?  Sorry I was distracted by the naked man outside the door behind you!"  (After that we moved the towels to the shower block rather than expect people to come back if they forgot to take one with them)

Right at the end as we were clearing up the control, I helped a very tired Irish guy pump up a flat tyre and we managed to find him some bits of breakfast that were left.  He says "Are there any bars around here?"  Not being local we say we've seen a Weatherspoon's down the road but not sure whether it would be open at 9am.  "No! Energy bars" he replies!

A main reason for volunteering was to get a view on whether to ride it next time.  i wasn't surprised to discover I would like to ride it.  I was more surprised to find out that if for any reason I can't ride it, I will definitely volunteer again.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #38 on: 07 August, 2017, 04:47:52 pm »
Almost all my interactions with riders were positive. I was really happy to help people, and to contribute to their ride. I actively told people to go and eat while I sorted their bikes out, even if it was just pumping their tyres up. I was there to help, and I got a lot from doing so. (Plus, I hate having an audience while I'm working on people's bikes, I always make a mistake)

I think everybody who's ridden it should volunteer to help out. I had a fantastic time. I only had one sense of humour failure the whole time.

There was only really one negative interaction which I'm still brooding about a bit. One of the riders from the group of Spanish riders was really rude. I'd been covering the mechanics area since 2:00am that morning (thursday), having been on shift with only a few hours break since mid day on Wednesday. The rider was pretty grumpy, and demanded that I look at his wheel, him having changed 4 tubes over the previous section. He was fairly condesending and rude when he left the bike with me, breaking in on me as I was dealing with somebody else. As he had more time in hand than the person I was dealing with, I said that I'd look at his wheel when I could, so he told me he was going to sleep.

After 10 minutes or so he was back, asking if I'd fixed his problem yet as they weren't sleeping now due to lack of time. I was just starting to look at it, and told him that he most likely needed a new tyre, as there was nothing wrong with the rim that I could see. So I fitted him a new tyre, unfortunately pinching the tube when I fitted it, so I had to change that again (which came out of my pocket, he was gumpy enough I wasn't going to try and sell him another tube that I'd broken).

He then came back with his friend, to find that I'd misplaced his through axle. This was such a stupid thing, I'd been so busy dealing with people and interruptions that I completely forgot where I'd put it. It was still pretty dark, the lighting in the mechanics area was fairly rubbish, and I just couldn't find where I'd put this black through axle. I couldn't believe that this persons ride might end now, because I'd put this axle down somewhere and couldn't find it. There were three of us looking for it, when I eventually found it resting on the vice where I'd left it with the broken tube hanging off it.

While I was now refitting the rear wheel he and his friend were scowling at me, muttering in Spanish and occasionally chuckling in what sounded to me like a fairly insulting manner (sounded like they were laughing at me). His expression when I asked if he wanted his old tyre back was a picture. Perhaps he thought that I was just trying to make money off him by selling him a new tyre. What I was thinking was that if his other tyre had a catastrophic failure, at least he'd be able to fit this as a spare and carry on.

Oh well, it's about the only thing that left a bad taste in my mouth. Tired worried rider, tired stressed volunteer.

My only sense of humour failure was right at the end, we were transferring hundreds of bags into the bag drop van for delivery, there were fish and chips waiting and getting cold on the table, it was now midday, I'd been awake almost 24 hours, I was hungry, and three riders were asking us to stop loading bags onto the van so they could find their bags. And we did. I was of the pretty firm opinion that somebody needed to learn to say "No". I did cheer up quite a lot after we had our fish and chips though, I was ready for them.

In short, I had a fantastic time. There were periods of frenetic activity followed by lots of sitting around waiting for riders to appear again. I would do it again, but I'm going to try and ride it next time.

« Reply #39 on: 07 August, 2017, 06:35:29 pm »
There was only really one negative interaction which I'm still brooding about a bit.

Probably because you now realize what you would like to have said, but couldn't for the sake of duty and doing the right thing at the time. It's a shame you had to endure that. Thankfully those kind of encounters are rare. I certainly didn't have any. You had riders that were a bit miserable, but I can be pretty detached and dour in the middle of it all as well so I know what it's like, but there's a difference when you feel somebody's crossed a line and the quality of respect has gone walkabouts.

Contrast that with my Thai friend who couldn't thank me enough for not even fixing his problem [not without trying though] and wasting an hour of his time and we see mentalities that are truly worlds apart.

I remember one chap who stormed into the bike area really pissed off - 'I'm sick of this, sick of that, spokes keep breaking, tubes keep blowing, I've had enough'. He almost threw his bike down in frustration. So we told him to go and have some grub and a break and we'd look at the issues. He was fine after a break and left in a much better state. Total different situation. A rider expressing all kinds of angst, but never a sense that it was directed at us.  Big difference.

We had three mechanics on duty at St Ives, and as you say, sometimes we were sitting around doing nothing but then, like buses, when one comes so do several and all of a sudden everybody's got their hands full. I was very thankful not to be on my own at certain times that's for sure.
Garry Broad

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #40 on: 07 August, 2017, 06:51:49 pm »
The scene: Loughton control, after the event.

Rider: "Why are the drop bags not here from Edinburgh?"
Chris Crossland: "We've discovered it's quite a long way from Edinburgh to here."

Classic.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #41 on: 07 August, 2017, 07:18:18 pm »
The scene: Loughton control, after the event.

Rider: "Why are the drop bags not here from Edinburgh?"
Chris Crossland: "We've discovered it's quite a long way from Edinburgh to here."

Classic.

Oh one of the many replies.

« Reply #42 on: 07 August, 2017, 07:31:25 pm »

My only sense of humour failure was right at the end, we were transferring hundreds of bags into the bag drop van for delivery, there were fish and chips waiting and getting cold on the table, it was now midday, I'd been awake almost 24 hours, I was hungry, and three riders were asking us to stop loading bags onto the van so they could find their bags. And we did. I was of the pretty firm opinion that somebody needed to learn to say "No". I did cheer up quite a lot after we had our fish and chips though, I was ready for them.

I agree with your No as controller I basically said if its in the pile to go on the van fine they can have it if not sorry, this meant 2 out of the 3 got their bags, the riders at this point were a minimum of 5 hours out of time, we needed to get the van loaded so they could get the Louth, I was also looking forwards to the fish & chips.

Sorry about the crap lighting in the mechanic area I know next time I need to think properly about the lighting in there & you need a number of lights to light the whole area & lights for working on bikes

« Reply #43 on: 07 August, 2017, 08:47:18 pm »
Sorry about the crap lighting in the mechanic area I know next time I need to think properly about the lighting in there & you need a number of lights to light the whole area & lights for working on bikes
After 2013 I bought some decent lighting with me this year: 
Here it is off: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213469949444374&set=a.10213469896363047.1073741875.1269904677&type=3&theater
and here it is on: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213469984925261&set=a.10213469896363047.1073741875.1269904677&type=3&theater

« Reply #44 on: 07 August, 2017, 09:01:26 pm »
and here it is on: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213469984925261&set=a.10213469896363047.1073741875.1269904677&type=3&theater

Nice light Lee, could have done with the same myself! [will do, next time, if I do it again]

Just out of interest, were the riders given welding masks if they hung around the bike stand for any length of time?  :)
Garry Broad

Sabine

• In France
« Reply #45 on: 07 August, 2017, 09:44:03 pm »
Having helped at Thirsk from Sunday night to Wednesday evening. It was amazing how I was able to help French and German riders in their own language. It did put a smile to some tired cyclists. Or one which made some of us smile, when I said you cant help yourself to hot food and the reply was" I don't speak English " so spoke in his language. The surprise on the face was amazing. :)

« Reply #46 on: 07 August, 2017, 09:52:49 pm »

Nice light Lee, could have done with the same myself! [will do, next time, if I do it again]

Just out of interest, were the riders given welding masks if they hung around the bike stand for any length of time?  :)
It's not as bright as the dark photo makes out.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #47 on: 07 August, 2017, 11:13:19 pm »
The story of Left and Right Shoe – who ended up volunteering and had an adventure.........

Left and Right Shoe were Specialized SPD size 47 shoes and they went along to Brampton control on the feet of their owner who was volunteering there. The owner was too busy with control duties to ride his bike, so Left and Right stayed in the volunteers’ dormitory, tucked safely away.
On Monday night though someone came to fetch them – they were needed now, they would become volunteers too. The nice controller told them the story of the German velomobile rider who could not find his size 47 shoes. He had left them in the corridor with many other pairs and although he and the controller searched for a long time they could not find them. He did find some shoes very like his but they were a size 46. He thought about taking those but his feet would not fit into them. He thought he may not be able to ride on but then someone remembered that there was a pair of size 47 shoes that might just be able to help him and so Left and Right were summoned. They fitted! Then the German rider tried them in his velomobile – oh no, Left was jamming against the velomobile inside. Left really wanted to help and made a great sacrifice to have some of his rubber rand removed. It worked – hurray the German was on his way northbound to Moffat.
As he pedalled away the nice controller phoned the Moffat controller and said they must ask arriving riders whether they were wearing their own shoes. And soon an American rider confessed that he was not wearing his own shoes, but some that were very like his own but one size bigger. The American had to remove the shoes that weren’t his, and to wait to hand them back and apologise to the German who was happy to be re-united with his own shoes.
But now the American had no shoes for his ride. So once again Left and Right volunteered for duty and they rode with the American all the way to Edinburgh, Innerleithen and Eskdalemuir before returning to Brampton. Here the American was re-united with his own shoes, left there so many hours before.
Left and Right’s job was now done and they returned to the volunteers’ dorm.  But they could honestly say they had ridden the northern loop of LEL 2017 on the feet of two different riders.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #48 on: 07 August, 2017, 11:19:16 pm »
Hurray for Left and Right!  I'm quietly hopeful that a previous volunteers scribbled note may have saved a marriage.  We worked out the sequence of events afterwards...

Rider1 came looking to see if Rider2 had checked out presumably during one of the brief outages on the scanning and therefore person on desk made a note along the lines of "Rider1 looking for Rider2, check when back up".

Shift change.

Some time passes.

Rider2 came asking about first Rider1 - system (back up and running) shows they checked out (potentially while tracking offline, and then synched once problem resolved).  Rider2 announces intent to commit gruesome and painful murder when they catch up with Rider1, goes to collect belongings and prepare to depart.

Volunteer notices scribbled note of Rider2's number, and that Rider1 was looking for them.  Volunteer catches Rider2 on way out (please check out!) and shows them said note and reassures Rider2 that Rider1 was at least trying to find them.  Rider2 is negotiated down to planning to inflict mild-moderate pain.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #49 on: 07 August, 2017, 11:21:28 pm »
Tandem teams, eh?  :)