Author Topic: Bardon Mills to Haydon Bridge A69....  (Read 1584 times)

essexian

Bardon Mills to Haydon Bridge A69....
« on: 13 August, 2017, 09:23:04 am »
What's it like for cycling upon?

I am planning to do my own version of a c2c* in September and rather than slogging into the hills to the north, I note the A69 runs between the two towns. Having looked on Google Street View, the road looks okay but any local knowledge would be gratefully accepted: my plan is to be on this two mile section between 11 and 11.30am mid week.

*My c2c is really a ride between Carlisle and Newcastle train stations leaving Carlisle at around 9am and then getting the train back from Newcastle in time for the 20.07 train home.

Re: Bardon Mills to Haydon Bridge A69....
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2017, 04:55:36 pm »
Frankly, this is the weak spot in the Hadrian's cycle route. Once you get to Bardon Mill, you have 2 alternatives, follow the official route 72 uphill, past Vindolanda (the roman fort) followed by a long and pleasant descent into Hexham, or ride along the A69, main road, until Haydon bridge. At Haydon Bridge, go over the railway, turn right and follow the road to Fourstones where you rejoin the 72.

The A69 is not a pleasant road to cycle on, it is quite busy. Personally, I would avoid it but it's up to you.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2017, 05:01:20 pm »
I've ridden it.

I wouldn't recommend it, but you'll probably survive.

« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2017, 08:00:09 pm »
The A69 T  is one of the main trunk roads from east to west and that stretch , keep's the local emergency services real busy. Unless you like chatting up nurses .  Your best bet is to turn off the old 69 opposite the entrance for hard riding house , cross over the A69 by the speed cameras up the bank past the old pit yard ( ramshawfield ) Martin Oliver old transport depot . Turn left just past  rufflers close (  used to be cattle rustlers close ) . Up the bank (its only really steep for a short klick)  towards  the the twice brewed . Then hang a right down through Vindolada and then along the lovely stangate  road .`The other route is to turn left off the old 69 after the bardon mill pottery go under the A69 T ,turn right at west end town past thorngrafton and follow the road to the stangate , get your camera out at the top of the hill for some cracking shots . The only trouble with that route is you will not pass the lovely  stone clad cattle shed at vindlander farm or the refurbished lime stone kiln done by yours truly .The bonuse on the shed did pay for a lovely set of hoops.   
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #4 on: 13 August, 2017, 11:11:38 pm »
If your happy on wide fast busy A roads with reasonable sightlines then it's fine.
Otherwise take the back roads.

That's one of the two stretches of the A69 I use when I'm in that area.

I tend to use it going the otherway as I don't like pulling up the Stangate, it's a long drag at the end of a day run for me.
But I do like dropping down the Stangate, so I'm happy pulling up through Thorngrafton.

The other is the stretch Greenhead to Haltwhistle as I don't like pulling up the 9% Greenhead bank.
Again I'll go over Greenhead bank going the otherway.

Don't do Haltwhistle to Bardon Mill on the A69, I've only done it once.
The 3 lanes make it dangerous traffic wise and the back road is so much nicer.

essexian

« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2017, 07:52:16 am »
Thanks all. I think I'll avoid it as after yesterdays encounter with a twat in a Range Rover Sports who came within inches of me on a dead straight and clear road, I am going to give main roads a miss for a while.

And, given that I have some 8 hours to do the 100km or so (my last 100km took a little under 5 hours), I don't suppose I will be too much of a rush. Any recommendations for a half way lunch stop gratefully received.

essexian

« Reply #6 on: 26 August, 2017, 09:10:58 am »
Right, train tickets booked for Wednesday 30th.... that was fun as the bike booking system (Virgin) at the station was, to quote the ticket office staff member: "full of bugs."

I arrive in Carlisle at 9am and have to get to Newcastle (110km away the way I have plotted it), by just after 6pm in order to get my train back to Carlisle and then home again.

Photos and a match report to follow....bet you can wait! ;D

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #7 on: 26 August, 2017, 03:31:45 pm »
Enjoy the ride  :thumbsup:
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #8 on: 27 August, 2017, 08:12:18 pm »
Would you like some company for a bit of your ride?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo