Author Topic: Chinese copies of SMP saddles ?  (Read 1516 times)

Chinese copies of SMP saddles ?
« on: 13 August, 2017, 12:14:18 pm »
Like this for example.
I'm wanting to try this style of saddle as the Brooks Swift no longer works well for me over about 400km (ok-ish to 600km but painful on LEL) but can't justify the £180+ for the genuine article until I'm more sure.
Anyone any experience?

Re: Chinese copies of SMP saddles ?
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2017, 12:34:33 pm »
Like this for example.
I'm wanting to try this style of saddle as the Brooks Swift no longer works well for me over about 400km (ok-ish to 600km but painful on LEL) but can't justify the £180+ for the genuine article until I'm more sure.
Anyone any experience?

Hi Somnolent. If you are certain that you know your ideal saddle width (Sit-bones) then for the sake of £26.00 P&P included I think it is worth a try. At least you can move it onto E'bay or Gumtree if it puts blisters on on your butt.
I personally would go for the gloss finish as the matt one will become slightly shinny eventually and the gloss finish will eventually loose some of the 'bling' finish.
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2017, 01:33:21 pm »
One thing that annoys me on my SMP saddles is the stitchings, that always get in the way. These slick saddles are probably even better as they have no stitches!

I would not trust however their handlebars. A broken saddle is just very annoying, but a broken handlebar means a catastrophic accident!

Ben T

« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2017, 05:38:29 pm »
Try www.dillglove.co.uk - this is a shop in birmingham that will let you try out multiple ones (real SMPs I mean), and post them to you. You then post them back after a week or two, which is long enough to try different angles/setbacks and even do an audax on one if you like.
I would recommend doing at least say 30-50 miles on it before deciding - as I tried the avant which is the widest/softest one, and it is really comfy for about 10-20 miles, but starts to get a bit chafe-y after that.

Personally I wouldn't get a cheap chinese copy as I think you get what you pay for, and  you almost certainly can't try before you buy - so you may end up paying for several and still not have one you like.
If you go down the dillglove route, yes although they are expensive, you will only have to pay once, if you find one you like - and not at all if you don't.
Then again that's just me, if you get lucky and find comfort in one that costs you under £50, good on you...

I tried about 5 different ones before finding the one I like which is so good I've never looked back, and have got one on both bikes. I used to love brooks but once I realised that they get 'past it', and the break in point is actually not the start of bliss for life but merely the pinnacle after which it goes downhill from there descending towards sagginess, that was it, I had to switch to something that stays the same shape. The other thing I noticed is the one I got was so comfy I got one for my tourer as well to replace a brooks B17 that I didn't think was even that bad, but going back to it after several months it felt awful - like real pressure in the central area. Which makes me think the SMP is really supportive in the right place once you get used to it.

There are almost as many different types of SMP as there are brookses - if not more! Also, it's not particularly obvious/intuitive from looking at them which is the right one for you - e.g. the one that looks the widest isn't  necessarily the one with the widest effective width, etc. - this page explains more https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/09/all-about-smps/

« Reply #4 on: 13 August, 2017, 05:43:45 pm »
That eBay one is solid c.f.....no padding.