Author Topic: Q?? New audax frame - capable of wider tyres  (Read 4543 times)

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
Q?? New audax frame - capable of wider tyres
« on: 14 August, 2017, 11:30:05 am »
Hi,

I've had a Carbon Dolan Dual for a few years now, and although its a nice frame, I was looking at something which will take wider tyres. The Dual can only accept 25mm with mudguards. I like Carbon as it is light and although I have a couple of friends who ride Ti, I'd like to stick with Carbon please.

Any suggestions on a new frameset which is capable of taking wider tyres please and guards? I'm not bothered whether it has discs or traditional brakes.

Someone mentioned the Trek Domane SL. Any one have one of these please?

Any other carbon framesets which are capable of taking a wider tyre please?

Cheers, Dave C
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

fuaran

• rothair gasta

Re: Q?? New audax frame - capable of wider tyres
« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2017, 03:12:10 pm »
On One Bish Bash Bosh?
Thru-axle means new hub dynamo, no fork crown fitting for lights?
(which is why I said no to one)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2017, 03:40:17 pm »
My new bike is a Genesis Datum.  It currently has SKS Longboard mudguards and 30mm tyres.  Would probably do 35mm + guards.  This has disk brakes

Alternatively, I am currently planning an experiment with an SKS clip on "XL" mudguard which should allow 28mm tyres on a Specialized Roubaix

It's worth remembering that normal reach caliper rim brakes, like racing bikes have as standard, will only work with tyres 30mm or less

IJL

« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2017, 04:10:57 pm »
I have a Trek Domane the lowly 4.3 rather than SL but they all have similar geometry and it will take big tyres but the disc versions have thru axels.
While the Bish Bash Bosh has thru axels Planet x do a Ti audax frame with conventional drop outs.  It looks very nice in the flesh, the pics on the website don't do a lot of justice to a lot of planet x bikes

« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2017, 05:35:20 pm »
I have a Carbonda CFR505 frame that I've not yet build up. Discs, 650B (47) or 700C (40) with guards and nice geometry. A bit like a Datum with more clearance.

Given I won't build it for some time, I'd let it go for cost if a large suited you. It's a fetching shade of blue - almost but not quite Celeste.

Or you can get them direct from Carbonda in China. I can dig out the contact details.

Link here http://www.carbonda.com/road/gravel/cfr505.html

Mike

Dave_C

« Reply #6 on: 14 August, 2017, 09:02:55 pm »
I have a Carbonda CFR505 frame that I've not yet build up. Discs, 650B (47) or 700C (40) with guards and nice geometry. A bit like a Datum with more clearance.

Given I won't build it for some time, I'd let it go for cost if a large suited you. It's a fetching shade of blue - almost but not quite Celeste.

Or you can get them direct from Carbonda in China. I can dig out the contact details.

Mike

Hi Mike, I was umming and erring on the Datum, but now you have sparked my interest, would you PM me the cost please? I am a Large (57cm??) but I was moving towards the Datum even before Vors replied. I won't tell anyone the figure if you wat it to remain a secret.

Cheers, Dave C

« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2017, 03:11:50 pm »
I was very close to pushing the button on the Genesis Datum Ltd as it ticked all my boxes for a new Audax/Adventure bike.  In the end I went with the Dolan ADX Disc (I know you said no Ti) and couldn't be happier.  But it was carbon only the Genesis would be my choice.

Dave_C

« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2017, 03:53:30 pm »
I was very close to pushing the button on the Genesis Datum Ltd as it ticked all my boxes for a new Audax/Adventure bike.  In the end I went with the Dolan ADX Disc (I know you said no Ti) and couldn't be happier.  But it was carbon only the Genesis would be my choice.

How WIDE can your tyres be in this?

« Reply #9 on: 15 August, 2017, 08:08:15 pm »

How wide do you want?

Datum comes with 32mm. Enough?  Looks like scope for 35mm.  If you want more then surely pure gravel bike or just get a full carbon cyclo cross bike.  Plenty of those around.

Datum 20 here:

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/road-bikes/genesis-datum-20-2017-carbon-road-bike-blue_374135?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuNeJ3fbZ1QIVgzgbCh3uIQQnEAQYASABEgJiffD_BwE

« Reply #10 on: 17 August, 2017, 08:07:59 pm »
I have the trek domane sl disc. The bontrager mudguards are superb. I am running 32 rear and 28 front but I am sure it would take 35 with the mudguards.

I love this bike and feel that I will never need to change it.

It is through axle but with discs I am certain through axle is the way to go. There is no fork crown mount but I bodged my dynamo light onto a GoPro mount under the Garmin mount.

dim

« Reply #11 on: 18 August, 2017, 06:26:00 am »
Whyte Stowe:

on my wishlist and I'm hoping to have one by Christmas which I will use for longer distance rides .... a new one is too expensive (over £3k), but I've seen some 2nd hand ones in mint condtion for just over £1000

hydraulic disk brakes, can take wide tyres, Ultegra 11 speed and weighs 7.5 Kg
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #12 on: 19 August, 2017, 01:15:20 pm »

The ADX disc will take up to 35mm tires and 42mm mudguards.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #13 on: 25 August, 2017, 10:13:09 am »
Very interested in a carbon frame with clearance for, say, 30mm tyres, but no wish for disc brakes.

Any other options out there?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #14 on: 25 August, 2017, 03:53:28 pm »
Very interested in a carbon frame with clearance for, say, 30mm tyres, but no wish for disc brakes.

most cyclocross bikes are this.  You'll have to get a second hand one though coz now they are allowed disks

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #15 on: 25 August, 2017, 04:49:21 pm »

there's plenty of frames like that on chinese sites (aliexpress etc.)

« Reply #16 on: 25 August, 2017, 10:21:59 pm »
I have a Flyxii FR-603 bought directly from China. It's full carbon, disc brakes, clearance for knobbly cyclocross tyres and it has mudguard eyelets. I rode LEL on it, I've done cyclocross racing on it. I have no complaints.

It currently has 35mm CX knobblies on it and I'd say there's a good 1 cm of clearance at the fork, BB and seat stay bridge if you wanted mudguard too.

There's also a cantilever rim brake version, the FR-601.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #17 on: 26 August, 2017, 08:57:19 pm »
Thanks to vorsprung, zigzag, and Graham for helpful replies. That Flyxi does look interesting, and cyclo-cross frames would be worth investigating, but I think both are a bit more than I need. 

I'm simply thinking of replacing the frame on my PlanetX road bike. After about 7 yrs of use I begin to get anxious about wear and tear, esp. the striations under the fork crown, and around the B/B. Also, I'd just like a bit more clearance. 25mm tyres are the biggest the PX will take, but it'd be a nicer ride with 28, or maybe 30. Plan would be to swop all, or most, components to a new frame. No real need for 'guards on this bike, which is for fair weather, so I also doubt the value of complicating things with discs.

« Reply #18 on: 28 August, 2017, 10:44:06 am »

Mike
Mike, genuine question (no criticism of your choice implied at all; no wish to start an argument !).

Do you think these Chinese frames are safe choices? I know the big brand frames are probably made in the same factories, but one assumes Trek Whyte etc would have an additional layer of QC, no? Having a frame or fork fail in traffic would be, ahem, interesting..... I know you've built up another direct-from-China frame - what has your experience been with it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

« Reply #19 on: 03 September, 2017, 08:54:20 am »

Mike
Mike, genuine question (no criticism of your choice implied at all; no wish to start an argument !).

Do you think these Chinese frames are safe choices? I know the big brand frames are probably made in the same factories, but one assumes Trek Whyte etc would have an additional layer of QC, no? Having a frame or fork fail in traffic would be, ahem, interesting..... I know you've built up another direct-from-China frame - what has your experience been with it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Probably the key question CL.

I spent a lot of time thinking about it before buying a frame and eventually settled on Workswell and Carbonda as they both had internet reputations that were strong. There are a few others too (Hong Fu for example) - I think it is helpful to focus on manufacturers if you can. That's the first and best insurance, together with some sense of the communication if you contact them.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the worst reputations are for the overt copies - with graphics to match. Although the Workswell shares the geometry from the Open UP ( which I hadn't heard of until long after purchase, I just liked the geo and couldn't find it elsewhere) it isn't sold as such and they wouldn't badge is such either I think.

Third, neither frame is super light or cheap and both are claimed to be CEN compliant. I hope that this an indication of suitable robustness. My weight is 'mid range' ;)

Finally, big brands haven't been without their failures, including serious fork failures. That's a failure mode that I consider and fear on every bike. One consequence is that I don't ride any bikes with carbon forks with an alloy steerer - too many potential failure points. I'm actually happier with monococque carbon as it can be structurally better and so eliminates a couple of failure modes for alloy steerers.

So, yes it's a concern, but hopefully I've managed the risk down to a suitably safe level. The Workswell has been fine. I ride it off road more than on and it feels as solid as you'd hope. The forks on it are actually pretty industrial in section, and the lower bearing is 1.5 in. On the off road section it descends frighteningly well. Well enough that fear of failure will slow you down!

You're welcome to try it sometime - I recall we're similar sizes.

Mike

« Reply #20 on: 03 September, 2017, 05:38:24 pm »
Thanks Mike. Workswell et al display various QA certificates on their web site but (not being fluid in Mandarin) they are all , ahem, Greek to me...

I'm still not allowed to ride after this broken leg, hence more thinking about shiny new frames than necessary!