Author Topic: Winter cycling boots  (Read 5875 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Winter cycling boots
« Reply #25 on: 19 August, 2017, 01:19:29 pm »
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #26 on: 19 August, 2017, 01:53:08 pm »
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #27 on: 19 August, 2017, 06:42:02 pm »
If you're not fussed about it being waterproof, what's the harm in a membrane that doesn't work?

Because they don't breathe. The amount of moisture produced by the foot is greater than the moisture permibility of the membrane. This is made even worse in cold or humid conditions when the moisture gradient is insufficient for vapour to travel across the membrane. This moisture condenses on the inside of the membrane, makes the foot wet, which makes it cold. In very cold conditions, this moisture is dangerous, goretex shoes gave me frost nip and nerve damage in one of my big toes cycling in -6C last winter. In really cold conditions the dew point is actually below the goretex membrane and you get moisture condensing in insulation layers, degrading the insulation properties.

My experience also :(

Plus water/rain runs down legs into boots.

My far from perfect winter riding (360 days usually) is comfortable wide fitting Shimano MT91(Goretex lined but useless really as they leak around the toungue and as mentioned - fill up with cold wetness from above) + thin merino socks and a pair of 'Porelle' (Goretex kinda membrane stuff) socks too.

This double barrier keeps off the worst of wind chill - but not entirely. And then it takes more than a day or so to dry said boots and so called 'waterproof' socks out.

But I manage cos I couldn't bear to have my shiny silver cranks scuffed by neoprene overshoes :hand:

« Reply #28 on: 19 August, 2017, 07:40:56 pm »
If the boots come a decent way up the ankle, you can use your longs or a marigold seal to divert most of the water to the outside of the boot (or waterproof socks)

« Reply #29 on: 19 August, 2017, 08:13:45 pm »
The only ones I've used that actually worked had goretex membranes, sorry

Spa cycles have a range of Exustar shoes - i think some of them are leather.  They don't look very winter-ish however

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s154p0/Parts-and-Accessories/Shoes
I had a pair for years and wore them through winter.  As waterproof as shoes get.  I still have my very worn old pair, but don't use cleats atm.  I would buy another pair for winter if their were either guaranteed non sweatshop, or I could get confirmation as to whether they are real or faux leather.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #30 on: 20 August, 2017, 01:39:30 pm »

I'm pondering winter cycling shoes. I'm after something for mountain bike spd, with a decent sole, and of primary importance, no membrane. So no goretex or similar. I'm not fussed about said shoe being waterproof. Just warm and keeps the wind out. A classic leather type boot would be nice.

Can anyone recommend a suitable solution ?

I think most if not all shoes sold for winter use would be "waterproof", ie would have a membrane.

For dry, cold weather, I would suggest any shoe with uppers that don't have  vent hole or mesh panels, and then then thick socks and/or overshoes. And make sure the legs are kept warm as well.

« Reply #31 on: 24 August, 2017, 01:57:20 pm »
I've been having similar thoughts, although in my case mostly because I have wide toes and nobody makes cycling shoes for duck-feet. I've been tempted to try converting a normal pair of walking boots: http://road.cc/content/news/76979-turn-your-favourite-shoes-clipless-pedal-cycling-shoes

Or perhaps you could find a cobbler willing to have a try... I have e vague recollection of somebody getting an spd conversion done the way some years ago.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #32 on: 08 September, 2017, 09:36:16 am »
...and the new Lake MXZ200 looks nice. Although once again the presence of a membrane puts it outside the scope of the OP's enquiry.

http://singletrackworld.com/2017/09/18-spd-shoes-from-eurobike-2017/ 
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #33 on: 08 September, 2017, 09:44:06 am »
Or the Northwave Raptor GTX on the same page? Name might be taken to imply Goretex but only Thinsulate is mentioned.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #34 on: 08 September, 2017, 09:45:32 am »

Lake are just down the road from me, might drop them an email and see if they can do a one off boot where they forget to put the membrane in...

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #35 on: 08 September, 2017, 10:39:11 am »

Lake are just down the road from me, might drop them an email and see if they can do a one off boot where they forget to put the membrane in...

J
Meaning where? I thought Lake were American and their website says from Illinois. I somehow had the impression you were in Holland but was probably mixing you up with someone else.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #36 on: 08 September, 2017, 10:41:37 am »

Meaning where? I thought Lake were American and their website says from Illinois. I somehow had the impression you were in Holland but was probably mixing you up with someone else.

Maybe I'm confusing with their European distributor,

*googles*

Yes I am. Ah well. I'll email them anyway, you never know...

J
--