Author Topic: Online calendar  (Read 1050 times)

Online calendar
« on: 18 August, 2017, 06:46:44 pm »
To minimise my fiddling, does anyone have any views on the relative merits of msoft outlook and google diaries. Or any others? Have resisted an online diary until now as it maybe seemed a step too far** in public private data. At the moment i use an offline diary on a 10 inch android tab. But since i also use a 7 inch android tab and a chromebook, all synced to each other, maybe i should just give up and pray to the mighty cloud.

** was concerned on looking into the outlook calendar, which i wasn't aware of having entered owt into, that it already seems to have auto added some stuff from my dealings.

Over to you nice folk.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Online calendar
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2017, 06:57:13 pm »
Google Calendar data is handy because there are many many different apps and programs that use it, so you can find an interface you like on every platform, with your events synchronised across all.

My favourites are Lightning (Thunderbird addon) on PC, and aCalendar+ on Android.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 18 August, 2017, 07:30:55 pm »
I run my own CalDAV server, because of the public private data thing.  Works fine in standards-compliant software (eg. Lightning), and the CalendarSync app is an acceptable workaround for Android.  If you can't face the fucking-around required to do that, I'd go for Google as the more widely useful of two evils.

I reckon the iCal standard is one of the Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia's more useful contributions to the world.

« Reply #3 on: 24 August, 2017, 01:33:49 pm »
Thanks biggsy. Am now using acalendar on two tabs and google on the chromebook. A few teething problems but it will all settle down once i am inputting new stuff into this new platform I am sure.

I much preferred the look of the samsung calendar.

Though I did discover on digging into it that wasn't as offine as I had imagined :) :( Doh!

By the by thanks to all the folk in this bit of the forum who regularly take the time to give folks useful advice on tech matters.

Ps - not over impressed by google calendars offline capabilities. Go more than a few weeks ahead and it seems to tell you that it cannot compute that far ahead. My old psion can quite comfortably look to a time beyond my most optimistic hopes of my lifetime.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 24 August, 2017, 01:44:54 pm »
I much preferred the look of the samsung calendar.

Agreed, it seems nicer than the stock Android calendar client.  Under the hood it's the same stuff, of course.