Author Topic: Electricity meter not working - estimated usage way out  (Read 1952 times)

Electricity meter not working - estimated usage way out
« on: 14 September, 2017, 09:23:51 am »
It's been on my do list for ages to figure out why my gas and electric bill is so high. Turns out I've failed to give meter readings. When I supplied one, I got a quick reply saying that it was miles off, and could I supply another in a week. I've done that - meter hasn't moved. The disc is spinning, but the red number rotates a bit then clicks back.

I've sent all this info off to them. Anyone else had this happen?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Electricity meter not working - estimated usage way out
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2017, 09:32:14 am »
A guy I know had this happen. He ended up getting free leccy or about 3 years. My understanding was that the meter was the electric company's responsibility and that by not sending people out to read the meter on a regular basis meant that it was their fault that the issue wasn't dealt with.

This was a fair few years ago. Regulations may have changed.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 14 September, 2017, 09:43:25 am »
I'm not bang up to date with the reg's these days, but I think the supplier is obligated to perform a safety check on the meter at least every 24 months.  In between times, they may or may not read the meter for billing purposes at their discretion, and the customer may or may not submit their own meter readings.  Smart meters change all that and in theory create more accurate and hopefully reliable billing.

Where the meter has died, the date at which you report it failed and the meter reading at that date are the only known facts**.  Everything else is assumption.  If the supplier has over-estimated your usage, then I'd be seeking a refund back to the last meter read on the date you reported the suspected fault.

** digital meters may store some data which could still be retrievable, but it sounds like you have an old electro-mechanical meter.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 14 September, 2017, 08:33:42 pm »
Ovo keep nagging me to get a smart meter but ICBA to wait in all day for a job that has no benefit to me.  They are now saying my meter is 57 years old!  Bloody impressive of SWEB to have LCD displays back in 1960!  And the meter would have sat alone in a green field for 39 years until Lovell Homes built a house around it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 14 September, 2017, 09:45:25 pm »
Please tell me that you've told OVO this and await their next missive?

« Reply #5 on: 15 September, 2017, 07:31:14 am »
My supplier wants me to have a smart meter. I have ignored them as I don't see any benefit. I expect to get the boys round anyway since I double-insulated the loft and draught-proofed the hall (new front door). Big drop in gas usage. Very suspect..
Move Faster and Bake Things

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 15 September, 2017, 08:03:00 am »
My supplier told me we needed a new meter as the old one was not recording properly.  The chap turned up and was about to fit a prepaid meter "that I had asked for". After sorting that up he fitted a new meter. I asked if it was smart but was told they aren't using them because, and I'd get one in the future.

The usage level recorded on the new meter is exactly the same as before. I've been graphing my electricity usage for years.
It is simpler than it looks.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #7 on: 15 September, 2017, 10:20:51 am »
A guy I know had this happen. He ended up getting free leccy or about 3 years. My understanding was that the meter was the electric company's responsibility and that by not sending people out to read the meter on a regular basis meant that it was their fault that the issue wasn't dealt with.

This was a fair few years ago. Regulations may have changed.

Yep, man on the clapham omnibus innit.

« Reply #8 on: 15 September, 2017, 03:37:50 pm »
They want to install a new meter, then look at my usage, and work back from that what they owe me.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 15 September, 2017, 04:36:32 pm »
They want to install a new meter, then look at my usage, and work back from that what they owe me.

That sounds like an Opportunity...

« Reply #10 on: 22 September, 2017, 12:33:59 pm »

That actually sounds fair - as long as your future usage is comparable with the period in which the meter hasn't been working.  However, since we're going into the winter and you'll be using the lights more, and possibly electric heaters etc., then it's unfair to use say the next six months of electricity bills as the basis for estimating the consumption for the previous six months over the summer (for example).  Ditto, if occupancy at the property has changed it's conceivable that future consumption will not be comparable with earlier demand.

If you have very few firm meter readings over the last couple of years then it is rather tricky to arrive at what's a fair estimate for both parties.

simonp

« Reply #11 on: 22 September, 2017, 12:36:10 pm »
Ovo keep nagging me to get a smart meter but ICBA to wait in all day for a job that has no benefit to me.  They are now saying my meter is 57 years old!  Bloody impressive of SWEB to have LCD displays back in 1960!  And the meter would have sat alone in a green field for 39 years until Lovell Homes built a house around it.

Sounds legit.