Author Topic: Winter city break destinations  (Read 4311 times)

Re: Winter city break destinations
« Reply #25 on: 04 October, 2017, 11:01:25 pm »
You seem to have been to lots of nice and interesting places already. I think you should change it up a bit. How about Jaywick?
Class.

« Reply #26 on: 05 October, 2017, 12:07:57 pm »
Madeira was OK – decent climate, nice walks, chilled once you get away from the (mostly German, for some reason) tourists. I'd go back again, preferably without the stinking cold.
I thought of Funchal immediately.  For my parents' ruby wedding anniversary last year, my brother and I arranged for them to have a dirty long weekend in Madeira, where they had been on their honeymoon in 1976 (but not since).  We got them a very reasonable rate at this gaff, which they found most amenable.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #27 on: 05 October, 2017, 12:44:08 pm »
Brussels - beer, food, loadsa places to visit, good public transport around the city.

« Reply #28 on: 05 October, 2017, 01:00:20 pm »
Venice.
It doesn't smell too bad in Feb.
And is quite magical at that time of year (not overrun by tourists)

I don't get the Venice stinks thing. I was there in August last year for four days and stayed right in the centre. Yes it was extremely busy (especially compared to last time I went which was August 1982) but it didn't smell. We avoided the crowds quite a bit by getting up early.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #29 on: 05 October, 2017, 01:03:48 pm »
Palma de Mallorca - I went in January while the Festes de Sant Sebastia was taking place, but there's plenty to see and do at other times.

ian

« Reply #30 on: 05 October, 2017, 01:07:22 pm »
Venice smells a bit of dank water in places, but I wouldn't say it's that bad. It's watery. But yes, tourists in peak season, oh my. It's no huge though so if you like wandering around, well.

Lyon is fantastic, I was expecting to be merely whelmed, but it's a lovely place. France doesn't seem to do places like Swindon. Or perhaps they do and I'm doing a better job of avoiding them. I confess a preference for places I can get to on the train, I spend too much of my working life in airports and on planes to be keen to spend my holidays doing the same.

« Reply #31 on: 05 October, 2017, 01:09:48 pm »
Budapest?
Not in February. It's cold, dank and grey most of the time.

Seville is great. Depending on how long your break is, Jerez, Cordoba, Granada (the Alhambra used to be free on a Sunday - might still be) & Cadiz are a train ride away - although check out the buses, as they are cheaper, more regular and almost as quick (well, they were 20 years ago!). Malaga is a little further but worth a trip nowadays.

A little further south, Sanlucar de Barrameda or El Puerto de Santa Maria are on the Costa de la Luz and very Andalucian, IYSWIM. Easily reachable if you fly into Jerez and a high probability of some sunshine.

Out of all the above, Seville is great. Don't miss the Alcazar.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #32 on: 05 October, 2017, 01:11:08 pm »
If you go to Salzburg, you can hop on a (very scenic) train to Zell am See and go up a mountain one day.  It's mostly closed between summer season and the ski season but Dec should be ok.

Saltzburg and Zell Am Zee in February persuaded me into a relationship I had been resisting, many years ago. It's incredibly romantic in the snow.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #33 on: 05 October, 2017, 10:04:18 pm »
I've decided to stick to the original plan of Reykjavik - I know it's where she really wants to go above anywhere else, and a bit of juggling round of dates and times has come up with something affordable in late January - should be a good time to see the northern lights as well.

Lots of great ideas for future trips though, so thanks for all the suggestions.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #34 on: 05 October, 2017, 11:25:19 pm »
You have the added benefit of only 6.5 hours of daylight, so lots of night activity.

;)
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #35 on: 06 October, 2017, 12:15:40 am »
You have the added benefit of only 6.5 hours of daylight, so lots of night activity.

;)

5.5 hrs according to my information (for the dates I've booked).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #36 on: 06 October, 2017, 12:33:37 am »
7 full hours on 31 January but less than 4½ at New Year according to mine...

« Reply #37 on: 06 October, 2017, 10:38:55 am »
carcasonne?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #38 on: 06 October, 2017, 11:37:22 am »
Perm.  Or maybe Magadan.