Author Topic: Keeping it in the family  (Read 2300 times)

Keeping it in the family
« on: 09 October, 2017, 11:08:23 pm »
Though Exeter Wheelers CC, my club, is predominantly racing, it's nice to be able to say that three members have this year attained SR status entirely by riding our club events.  Even nicer: I'm one of them.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Keeping it in the family
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2017, 03:35:59 am »
That is nice.

It's very pleasing to see traditional clubs embracing audax, rather than disenfranchised members breaking off and forming 'Yet Another Audax Club' - not that there is anything wrong with the various ACs that have sprung up in recent years but it doesn't have to be an us and them thing, racers vs randonneurs. No reason why a good club shouldn't embrace a wide range of cycling disciplines. My club, Thanet RC, have been supportive of my own endeavours to get a club brevet off the ground this year, and a good number of them even rode it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2017, 03:45:19 pm »
Talking of traditional clubs embracing audax, my club, Kingston Wheelers, has a thriving Audax section , called KWAC (Kingston Wheelers Audax Chapter).

We organised a 200km (2nd successful running of the Rowlands RAAAmble)  and a 300km (Amesbury Amble) last season , and are planning a full series plus a second 200km event next year!

We were 5th in the  audax club points  last season http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2017/clubs/

''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2017, 04:27:10 pm »
Cannot speak of all audax clubs, but audax club Portsmouth was formed from a a group of people who were not interested in joining a cycling club, although several do belong to traditional clubs, and found what they required in ACP. A few have gone on to join clubs to try racing

« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2017, 10:12:58 am »
I successfully infiltrated my local cycling club a few years ago and have been attempting subversion ever since. There have always been a few members who would ride local audaxes, but we now have some "seasoned randonneurs" and this year I managed to get quite a large group along to the Port Navigation 200k including a couple of fairly serious TTers. Seemed to go down extremely well and there is definitely more interest in long distance cycling in the club now.
Audax Ecosse - always going too far

hillbilly

« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2017, 10:56:31 am »
I'm surprised to hear that some clubs don't embrace audax, although I speak from the perspective of a club that has a rather social model amongst the racing wannabes. 

Even for those clubs with a racing bent, they provide an excellent opportunity to get quality base miles in (at least for 100km and 200km rides).  And also a platform to tackle other endurance events.  Some of the faster riders in my club use them in that way (and some enjoyed them enough to progress to LEL and other respect worthy endurance challenges).  In most cases they heard about the existence of audax from a handful of audax advocates - audavocates if you will - on club rides (often in the context of being "cheaper and scenic alternatives to sportives").

citoyen

« Reply #6 on: 11 October, 2017, 11:31:56 am »
Yeah, I suspect lack of awareness is more of a problem than lack of interest.

For me, one of the best things about organising my event through the club was that it got some of the younger members involved - I had five under-16s taking part. They love cycling in all its forms and are keen to take part in any event the club organises. And they all seemed to enjoy it, so hopefully that was just the start of a lifelong involvement in audax.

Martin

« Reply #7 on: 11 October, 2017, 12:37:59 pm »
I'm surprised to hear that some clubs don't embrace audax, although I speak from the perspective of a club that has a rather social model amongst the racing wannabes. 

Coming from a previous almost 100% TT orientated club I'm not; the regular Audax attendees in my area number about 3-4 per club (or less) on average. One of the reasons I joined my current club is that not only did they run quite a few events but they also award an Audax trophy which keeps up interest among members.

It's welcoming to see all these Audax only clubs emerging; they have put the numbers of riders (especially from London) into the stratosphere compared to a few years ago. And all the new events don't seem to be diluting the numbers either.

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #8 on: 11 October, 2017, 01:42:43 pm »
Coming from an almost 100% TT orientated club

Hang on Martin, what about the 10 regular clubruns every weekend? Only a couple of them are patronised by racing members.

If we are almost 100% TT why do we have the Audax trophy that attracted you? I thought that the "almost 100% TT" was your previous club.

Sorry to be jumping on you but I don't like like seeing the club being wrongly described.

We also have a lot of road racers and run a club track championship at Herne Hlll

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 11 October, 2017, 01:47:19 pm »
Sorry to be jumping on you but I don't like like seeing the club being wrongly described.

I think Martin was talking about his previous club, and the reason why he ditched them to join the Fairies.

The Fairies are of course a fantastic example of a traditional club that embrace the whole diverse world of cycling, and are to be applauded for that. (I know David W has ambitions to put on a Kent SR series and we'll probably join forces to provide the extra support needed make that possible.)

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #10 on: 11 October, 2017, 04:22:54 pm »
Thanks Citoyen, hadn't read it that way but you are right.

My apologies Martin.

Martin

« Reply #11 on: 11 October, 2017, 04:48:54 pm »
Sorry Grandad I could have worded that better; I meant "coming from an almost 100% TT club to one with a big Audax presence"

Before I joined I rode one of the Fairies Five; I could not believe how many members had turned out for all distances, many more than I'd seen at other non SFA events.

Kingston Wheelers appear to be attracting that sort of a turnout too on the two excellent events I've ridden.

ps I think I may have the trophy in the bag for this year unless the other man pulls a lot of rides out of the hat at the last minute :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 11 October, 2017, 06:24:48 pm »
EWCC also has an audax trophy, which is the Chester Cup, originally awarded by AUK to an EWCC Windsor-Chester-Windsor team. 

So the club has 'form'.

« Reply #13 on: 11 October, 2017, 06:47:19 pm »
Can think of 3 or 4 members, think we may of ridden a WcW  together once

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #14 on: 12 October, 2017, 08:12:13 pm »
Our "let's go to the pub" group which is mainly Exeter Wheelers has um, 7 semi regular attendees who are PBP Anciens and several AUK organisers

3 of us did LEL last time and the other 2 that weren't me made it :)