Author Topic: Lower back pain  (Read 1844 times)

Lower back pain
« on: 11 October, 2017, 09:58:35 am »
I've started to cycle commute again after about two years off. It's a 20 mile round trip. I've only managed it once a week so far since the beginning of September, but every single time my lower back hurts - apologies for the very poor anatomical description - from around my coccyx up about 10 inches and most intense right in the middle of that area.

Immediately afterwards it freezes up and is quite painful. It's pretty hard to get changed, particularly putting socks on and tying shoe laces. The pain lasts for about a week before it's at a level where I don't make stupid noises everytime I have to move.

I haven't changed anything whatsoever on the bike. The last ride was a week or so before starting commuting and was in the region of 30 miles. I don't really recall suffering afterwards, though I do work on my feet (in a kitchen) for two 8-hour stretches per week so I might have put any discomfort down to that.

I'm guessing it's all due to not doing much cycling in the last two years and the muscles going to shit, but I have done quite a lot of multi-day hut-to-hut mountain walking (carrying my gear) so I'd have thought they'd still be in a reasonable condition.

Thoughts would be hugely appreciated before I start fiddling with anything or bothering healthcare professionals.

Re: Lower back pain
« Reply #1 on: 11 October, 2017, 10:12:34 am »
Is it bad when you get to work and when you get home?
If so, then I suggest you try a similar length, similar exertion ride on the weekend and see if you get the same symptoms. It might be that time pressure is making you work harder on the commute than you would normally on your other rides.
If it's only bad when you get home, I suggest that your day job is also working the muscles in that area and riding home afterwards is overloading them. In that case, you need to strengthen them, either by riding more, or maybe riding 1 leg of your commute and driving the other.
If it's only bad when you get to work, then I am out of suggestions! :)

« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2017, 10:49:31 am »
Unless you are riding on a very upright position (aka 'dutch' town bike), bike riding is very challenging for the lower back. Bends it then demands that the muscles brace the pelvis.

So it isn't surprising that you are getting some pain.

Core strength exercises and exercises to free up your pelvis (ooh er missus) are worth doing.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2017, 11:33:13 am »
Good points. I did make pretty much the same trip with my other half at the weekend. We tend to cycle 3-4 mph slower together than I would normally by myself. My back did get a few twinges afterwards but nowhere near as bad.

It's super sore today, but then between getting worked up over poor driving and a sizeable headwind I did push quite hard.

I guess I just need not overdo it, maybe do a few exercises as mrc suggested, and then go from there? I might cycling one leg and driving/bussing the other. It's really important to me to get back to cycle commuting so I don't want to fuck my back or get disheartened if it takes too long to settle down.

I probably am throwing myself into it too much. When I first started daily commuting I was, what, 23? It's only been a handful of years but I'm a lot more creaky. And 10kg heavier. Pish.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2017, 12:46:37 pm »
I have had lower back pain for years.
For a long time I thought I needed to work on the lower back muscles to make things better.
I have since found out the opposite works in that I need to work abs and core work to benefit my back.
Not sure about you but when I stand up you can see I have quite a lot of posterior pelvic tilt (I look like a duck  ;D ) due to the years of cycling, being fat and doing no core work. This means my spine curves forward roughly behind where my stomach is.
All the muscles in my back are under constant strain trying to pull the spine straight again (to stop damage) which gives me back ache. I get this from standing in front of a computer, sink, desk or wherever.
Lower ab exercises (lying leg raises etc) help me as they tighten the muscles at the front that join to the pelvis area bringing the pelvis up which in turn takes the strain of the muscles in the lower back trying to pull me straight again.
When standing in 1 position for a long time I now try and make a point of tightening my abs, squeezing my glutes and holding my pelvis forward to stop the back pain (not quite thrusting  :o  ;D but you get the picture).

Must get back to the gym also as I found squatting helped the core strength no end.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2017, 05:04:24 pm »
Try yoga, very good at both core strengthening and lengthening the rear muscle chain from ankle to head and relieving fascial tension as well.  I started doing it about 5 years ago and it's worked wonders.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #6 on: 13 October, 2017, 09:10:31 am »
I definitely look like a duck. Well, more like an ill-advised interspecies breeding experiment between a duck and a frog. Pot belly, gangly limbs and an ample, sticky-out posterior.

Lower ab exercises (or indeed any 'core' exercise). Whenever I've tried them I've struggled... which rather implies I should do them. It'd be quite good to put together a workout that 'balances' the core strengthening inherent in cycling. I guess google will be my friend.

Yoga would be great - and something I keep meaning to seriously consider. I know a few yoga-types so I could probably put together a sensible daily home routine with forking out for classes. I've also got unbelievably tight hamstrings so that can't help with things

« Reply #7 on: 13 October, 2017, 09:24:04 am »
If you've a duck posture you've also weak core.Ashtanga yoga and/or Pilates is one very good answer but I'd recommend a class rather than trying it on your own. Pilates in particular will feel hard bug if you do a couple of hours a week you'll start noticing the difference within a fortnight.

I've been really focusing on my core for the last six weeks and Ive hone from slouching to feeling like Ive got a massive pair of strong hands gripping me round the waist and ribs holding me upright.

Wish I'd done it all my life

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #8 on: 13 October, 2017, 10:43:50 am »
Word of warning about Ashtanga: the stuff is addictive, in the past few weeks I spent more time on the mat than on the saddle :D And you'll be sweating your ass off...

I second the advice of taking a class instead of trying on your own. Same actually with Pilates, if only because you'll probably practice more regularly when you have classes scheduled (I'm a hopeless procrastinator when it comes to practicing at home). Mysore style Ashtanga instruction trumps regular led classes IMO, but is not available at every school.

« Reply #9 on: 17 October, 2017, 07:32:00 pm »
I had lower back problems until I started lifting heavy weights. (Squats/Dead lifts).

Basically, doing barbell exercises taught my body how to activate the core muscles properly.

« Reply #10 on: 19 October, 2017, 11:47:44 am »
I wish classes were an option financially, but unless we do a whip-round...

I'm a procrastinator too. But I'm also very, very determined to return to full-time cycle commuting. That might be enough.