Author Topic: NC500 shot hotspots?  (Read 2258 times)

Ben T

NC500 shot hotspots?
« on: 09 April, 2018, 01:57:38 pm »
Am cycling the north coast 500 in june, hoping to take camera, and maybe a light-ish tripod (if I can mend the damn thing) - just wondered if any suggestions for particularly good spots for photography, particularly landscape.
I'm sure "all of it" and "look around as you go and shoot what you see" are viable answers, but anything particularly worthy of mention? Worthwhile diversions?

Will obviously share when I get back!

Re: NC500 shot hotspots?
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2018, 11:11:56 am »
Left at Drumrunie Corner, taking the road to Lochinver. Then on the Drumbeg Road, taking another diversion to Achmelvich. It's worth being aware that some of the best scenery will be happening behind you, so it's useful to have a companion for foreground interest.

Ben T

« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2018, 11:18:40 am »
Nice, thanks  :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2018, 11:35:46 am »
Carrying on past the Lochinver turn will get you to Achiltibuie and Reiff, with an often stunning view of The Summer Isles, and some iconic mountain outlines as you cycle back.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2018, 11:53:02 am »
If it's important to you (And IMO carrying a tripod make it so) then consider where you'll be stopping.  I've only ever done this on one tour in the Scottish Isles, the majority of the photos I kept were taken in the hours before and after the riding, I have occasionally got lucky in the daytime but there really is no substitute for the light in the magic hours.
I'm also hoping to ride the NC500 later in the year, the question of which camera/lenses to take hasn't yet been made, I'll be interested to see your photos.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2018, 12:09:02 pm »
Also remember that June is usually into the Midge season. When the midges are active and hungry you have about the time it takes to have a pee before you are batting them away like a mad thing.

Midge nets/hats are great but introduce an interesting diffraction effect when taking photos...
It is simpler than it looks.

Ben T

« Reply #6 on: 10 April, 2018, 12:26:06 pm »
ok thanks!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #7 on: 10 April, 2018, 06:02:48 pm »
Stop off at Corrieshalloch Gorge. Really quite impressive.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2018, 07:29:32 pm »
The North Western bit of the NC500 is essentially a giant geology text book. So landscape photography in that area benefits from some knowledge of what you're looking at.

There are information boards along the route, from Ullapool onwards, and a visitor centre for the North West Highlands Geopark at Unapool. The Geopark's online articles are one way to get an appreciation of the landscape forms.
http://www.nwhgeopark.com/ten-pictures-from-the-north-west-highlands-geopark-that-will-make-you-want-to-become-a-geologist/