Author Topic: Mini autumn adventure in East of England  (Read 1986 times)

Mini autumn adventure in East of England
« on: 16 October, 2017, 08:24:28 pm »
So due to a change in jobs I get a week off when monkeys are at school/nursery. I'd like a little camping trip on the bike. This will be first week in November so clocks will have changed so nothing epic.....also legs can't manage anything epic atm. I live pretty much on the main line from Liverpool Street to Norwich and happy to use that heading away from London. Ideal would be grab train one day. Go for a ride camp out or possibly youth hostel then ride some more and get train home. Any suggestions?

Re: Mini autumn adventure in East of England
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2017, 08:54:10 pm »
Don't bother trying Marriots Way.

I'd head out towards the Broads and North Norfolk coast, if you are going to Norwich.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2017, 08:55:29 pm »
Have a search throughout the forum for rides with WARTY in their title. Your homework is to find out what WARTY stands for.  ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 18 October, 2017, 09:05:43 pm »
Wowbagger Auntie Round The Year I believe. Some lovely looking rides. Didn't find any that involved camping although only had time for a brief look. Most campsites seem closed so thinking of wild camping or YHA or just a few day rides

« Reply #4 on: 19 October, 2017, 10:15:35 am »
YHA on the North Norfolk Coast would be nice. Sheringham, Wells, Hunstanton, and train home from Kings Lynn.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5 on: 19 October, 2017, 01:39:42 pm »
We did the Peddars Way once. There’s a thread about it somewhere.

« Reply #6 on: 20 October, 2017, 09:38:15 am »
We did the Peddars Way once. There’s a thread about it somewhere.

Seven years ago, according to what just popped up as a memory on my Facebook page this morning...  :thumbsup:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7 on: 20 October, 2017, 03:28:51 pm »
We all looked so much younger!!!

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #8 on: 20 October, 2017, 05:30:51 pm »
+1 for a jaunt around Norfolk. We stayed at Wells YHA some years ago and it was good. Lots of decent lanes around, and even the "main" coast road isn't too busy by our normal standards.
If you have a few hours to spare in the Blakeney area then I recommend the seal watching trips, usually from Morston Quay - they should be running in November.
Our "mini tour" route was Day1 train to Norwich, cycle to Sheringham, Day2 Seal watching, short ride to Wells, Day3 cycle back to Norwich for train home (we did go via a short section at the Norwich end of the Marriotts way and I don't remember anything terribly bad happening!)

Phil W

« Reply #9 on: 20 October, 2017, 10:15:48 pm »
There will plenty of over wintering birds about. So perhaps visit one of the reserves or coastal marshes. Watch Starlings at dusk, amd listen to the cacophany.

« Reply #10 on: 22 October, 2017, 05:34:12 pm »
Due to the wife going away for a few days and general business I can't get away for a night but am going to do one of the WARTY rides on Thursday 2nd if anyone wants to join me. Quiet possibly the one that starts in marks try having done the very similar route including camping at the edwardstone pub.