Author Topic: Tablet charges very slowly  (Read 1638 times)

Tablet charges very slowly
« on: 18 October, 2017, 11:27:46 pm »
What does the panel think? My venerable Nexus 7 2012 is suddenly charging very slowly. Often, little happens overnight, and it will remain at 20% or otherwise little more than when it started.

I've tried changing cables and so on, and also different chargers. The charging icon shows throughout, as far as I can see. Dodgy connection in the tablet itself maybe? Or battery reaching end of life? Any tests I could do to tell which? (Though both would be fatal, I suspect.)

It's annoying because I only rooted it earlier this year, to get round a problem with slow performance.

Re: Tablet charges very slowly
« Reply #1 on: 19 October, 2017, 07:26:09 am »
What does the panel think? My venerable Nexus 7 2012 is suddenly charging very slowly. Often, little happens overnight, and it will remain at 20% or otherwise little more than when it started.

I've tried changing cables and so on, and also different chargers. The charging icon shows throughout, as far as I can see. Dodgy connection in the tablet itself maybe? Or battery reaching end of life? Any tests I could do to tell which? (Though both would be fatal, I suspect.)

It's annoying because I only rooted it earlier this year, to get round a problem with slow performance.
My guess would be the battery. I gave up on my N7 ages ago due to the sluggishness and rooting it didn't make a difference. Shame as it's a nice device.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 19 October, 2017, 08:19:26 am »
Gave up on my Nexus 7 a couple of weeks ago for similar reasons.  Up until then I'd loved it.  Shame.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3 on: 19 October, 2017, 09:27:45 am »
Replace the battery? Prices vary widely, but a quick Google search suggests they can be had for around £20 including postage. Instructions on fitting the battery can be found at places like https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nexus+7+Battery+Replacement/9895

Worthwhile if it's a device you benefit from and are not needing to upgrade.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #4 on: 19 October, 2017, 10:24:49 am »
Probably more likely on a device that lives in your pocket, but is there anything in the charging socket?

When my phone started charging *very* slowly, ten minutes picking fluff out of the bottom of the micro USB port with sewing needle (yes, there was that much compacted down there) was time well spent.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 19 October, 2017, 01:49:40 pm »
How quickly does it charge when switched off?

« Reply #6 on: 19 October, 2017, 11:03:44 pm »
Yes, I'm trying to decide between a faulty battery and a faulty connector. It's the inconsistency that's confusing - sometimes it works, but often not. That kind of makes me lean towards a connector problem, in that a failed battery would probably fail consistently to charge.

I've just found a suggestion that cache issues can cause slow charging and high battery usage. To be fair, that was referring to Android 4.4, and I'm on 7.1, but it's an easy thing to try, so I have.

« Reply #7 on: 29 October, 2017, 09:45:43 pm »
After continuing unreliability in power terms, I've replaced the battery this weekend. Let's see how it goes :thumbsup: